ITT: hard truths

ITT: hard truths
I'll start:
The Great Gatsby is shit.

It's not shit, society has just memed it too hard over the decades

>He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.

Made me gay desu. It’s really good

>His heart beat faster and faster as Daisy’s white face came up to his own. He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed like a flower and the incarnation was complete.

Made me straight again desu. It's still really good

>If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him, some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life, as if he were related to one of those intricate machines that register earthquakes ten thousand miles away. This responsiveness had nothing to do with that flabby impressionability which is dignified under the name of “creative temperament” – it was an extraordinary gift of hope, a romantic readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which it is not likely I shall ever find again.

There are good female writers, but less of them.

The ending lines of this book are some of the best ever written.

>I suppose he’d had the name ready for a long time, even then. His parents were shiftless and unsuccessful farm people – his imagination had never really accepted them as his parents at all. The truth was that Jay Gatsby of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his platonic conception of himself. He was a son of God – a phrase which, if it means anything means just that – and he must be about His Father’s business, the service of vast, vulgar, and meritorious beauty. So he invented the sort of Jay Gatsby that a seventeen-year-old boy would be likely to invent, and to this conception he was faithful to the end.

>There are two types of novel that are easily misunderstood when you read them as a precocious teenager. The first type, like The Great Gatsby or The Remains of the Day, totally go over your head because you have nothing like the emotional experience needed to identify or fully understand what’s going on.

>‘You know nothing of loss!’ I want to shout at my younger self who found Gatsby ‘over-rated’.

If OP'd read Fitzgerald's short stories, he'd know that his prose and storytelling is anything by shit. Unfortunately, he didn't do his research. OP is possessed by the shallowest form of counter-culture demon, which aims at the text in question simply by poking at OP's failure in high school and current inability to comprehend the text.

Beautiful.

Yeah a beautiful work.

There's going to come a point in the future where billions of people are going to die from a certain event, and the world won't be the same afterward.

Bait was too tasty to not take.

I read The Crack up. Why is he such a depressing fuck?

I love Diamond as big as the Ritz. I read The Twenty-One Balloons in middle school and was amazed by how similar the stories are. Pene De Bois said that his wasn't inspired by Fitzgerald's, but I'm not sure I believe that. I was surprised by his prose coming off of The Great Gatsby.

I forgot that OP's thread was about hard truths and not just a Great Gatsby thread, and this post freaked me out for a second

I didn't fail high school. Your response indicates that you might have, though. Ignoring the immature personal attack, you've only declared that you find Fitzgerald to be an accomplished writer, which doesn't strengthen your argument (let's also ignore that you only talked about his short stories, and didn't mentionThe Great Gatsby at all).

I'll take logical fallacies for $1000. What is an Ad Hominem attack?

Do you have to be high as fuck to understand this? What the fuck is this? I swear the author was just spewing the first word that came to his mind. It's so overdone.

>He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God.

Like what the actual fuck is this sentence when you think about it. Good lord.

the bait is weak. work on your game and try again another night.

Know what? I'm sorry, OP. That was immature of me. Sorry for derailing your thread too. What didn't you like about the book? The prose selections we've already had here are pretty great, but I thought that the symbolism was perhaps a little too blatant, even though the book was probably intended for a more widespread audience than his other stuff. Very interested to hear your opinions on it.

Seriously?

Who wrote this?

Maybe it will be better.

If you think the short stories are depressing man. Read Tender is the Night and The Beautiful and Damned. That's 300 pages of depressing shit each. Well to be fair, the first 100 are pretty nice and then it all goes downhill.

Ummmmmm, excuse me, sweeties? This thread is only for people who hate F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, "The Great Gatsby".
So could all the PLEBS who actually enjoy that garbage (heh, as if it could honestly be enjoyed) plz leave?
k thnks bai

Tender is the Night is my favourite work of his, he really poured his heart and soul into it

Tender is the Night is and I hate to say this because it's so gay, but hauntingly beautiful. It's crazy how he manages to make you sympathize with Rosemary and her intentions with Dr. Diver and then completely turn it around and shows you how it unravels him and it sort of feels like your fault.
Then, it becomes even more impactful when you realize that in a way when Dick admits to Nicole that he never should have married her because he didn't have what it took to love someone in her condition that he is addressing his own relationship with Zelda. In a way, it sort of humanizes Fitzgerald as you sort of only see him being ugly to her (and of course her being ugly to him), but here he, in his own little book, shows that he understands that its his own fault that both of them are unhappy.
And this is not even mentioning the prose, which is where Fitzgerald's genius is and this is him at his best. It certainly deserves a better place in the canon than it gets.

If you study or read philosophy you're most likely a gay and or virgin

Gatsby has an almost adolescent infatuation. At least that’s how i felt when I read it in high school. The pungent imagery of the green light is a very vivid, romantic sort of thing, like a first love

Gatsby isn't bad, it's just overrated. I'm not sure how it got to be incorporated into the High School English Canon.

This is how I felt about Grendel and Catcher in the Rye as well. I don't think they are the great or anything, but I appreciated them a lot more after I matured and was no longer such a pleb that I was offended because I thought I was supposed to relate to the main character.

no, YOU are shit

I think because it's pretty short and structurally very tight. Also there's the whole "American Dream" thing which is a big theme in academia

I'm not a fan of Catcher in the Rye, but a lot of what makes it "great" is extratextual. On the surface though it's just a story about a bratty Boomer, and my impression (I didn't read it in school) is that a lot of teachers don't engage it past that level.

That sounds bad. I read it, but I didn't read it in school, so I don't know how it's actually taught to students.

Will it be a global famine or just a natural catastrophe?

You forgot to add that peak population will be reached right before the disaster on an exponential curve, so anyone who finds themselves alive is highly likely to die during said catastrophe.

never read, probably never will read, due to this book being memed to death on both sides.

That and there's a lot of symbolism that's pretty easy for a highschooler to get. It's one of those things you read as an example of how writing works holistically.

Fucking read it you gaylord. It'll take an afternoon and then you can stop being a contrarian.

Genre fiction is literature too.

He would define himself through Daisy instead of being the incredible variegated potential he was.

Thinly veiled Cunningham's Law bait thread is thinly veiled.

>I get to say whatever I want with no argument
>You are not allowed to say anything without an argument, even when it is responding to my mere assertions

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

>not posting the ending words of the text

>tfw gay virgin with no interest in philosophy

Sounds like you're missing your calling.

I'll finish:
The OP is a faggot

no u

Which version of tender is the night the one to read?

TFW to intellectual

Thankfully, our newest Nobel Laureate also wrote a YA genre novel - Never Let Me Go - that, while not nearly as good as Remains of the Day, is more accessible to the precocious teenager with limited life experience.

Made me bi this time desu. It's actually really good.

great gatsby is beautifully written

>its a Gatsby truthposting thread
>oh boy time to hear all the highschool Advanced English shitposters defend this garbage
>this fucking post though
How are you real, user?

Oh glorious high school graduate please explain to us proles why Gatsby is actually bad

Fagles

>He understandably hailed a cab, one of those slick modern ones with fine leather seats. As he understandably borded, he smiled at the driver, a smile that would render words useless. The smile was a bridge between their minds and it seemed to say "To the library, and step on it!"

>TFW you're reading version of TitN that is an English translation of a Linear B translation of the original English.

It's one of those books in high school that I didn't give a semblance of shit about.
And nothing has changed.

Strong prose doesn't make a solid book.
The theme is admirable though, I just wish I cared more about anything that was happening in the story.

I see we have a contender to

Ulysses, GR, and IJ all suck

the truth is, you should get off this board and end yourself.

>imagine being this unintelligent

I just got banned from reddit and I support this post.

t. underage