What are your thoughts on Analytical Philosophy?

What are your thoughts on Analytical Philosophy?

I keep seeing it mentioned but I don"t know what it is. I don't know from phikosophy and don't care to.

Does anyone even take them seriously anymore?

Absolutely invaluable contributions made to the foundations of mathematics and logic.

Very poor at contributing to phenomenological human experience (by design). Veeky Forums tends to be more interested in the latter which is why it's rarely mentioned here.

It was great for a while.

Analytic currently dominates universities.

/thread

I thought ethics was the flavor of the century

Yeah, and most philosophers of ethics belong to analytical philosophy.
Or do you believe analytical philosophy to only be concerned with philosophy of math and logic?

Analytic philosophy was bad insofar as it was based in substance ontology, and now the only good analytic philosophy tends to be the stuff that has internalized the critique of metaphysics

Unfortunately analytics have now split on the one hand into a few meh post-metaphysical fragments, like neopragmatism and Wittgensteinians, which are mostly boring and superseded by continental philosophy, and on the other hand they've become an adjunct to the horrifically bad substance ontology of the cybernetics paradigm as it currently exists in AI, neuroscience, and cognitive science, and their various clones. It's the "handmaiden of the cybernetic sciences."

Even there, it tries to internalize the phenomenological critique of metaphysics (a few continentals have tried to teach the cyber-analytics to stop being retarded), so AI and cogsci are currently undergoing a self-proclaimed phenomenological turn, which is taking them 40-50 years of fumbling, based on the work of Dreyfus and others. But they don't actually get it - they just integrate pseudo-phenomenological insights into their substance ontological analytic philosophy framework, for example taking the basic continental tenet of geworfenheit and turning it into the idea of "frames" - i.e., still a representationalist model of consciousness, still very metaphysical and very backward, but superficially more nuanced to account for "background information."

The tldr is that analytics could basically be defined as English and American philosophers who mostly read English philosophy and who don't understand the continental critique of metaphysics, and who have now become a glorified thinktank for algorithm researchers who have a childlike 1950s conception of what a "mind" is.

Ethics are not analytic philosophy. They might be "flavored" in an analytic sort of way but unless they establish a hermeneutic basis for ethical action and therefore are propositionally reducible then they have absolutely no legitimate claim of being analytic in method.
This applies to hacks like Singer

They should stop being snowflakes and do mathematics instead.

It gives a pretty sweet boost to research points

Only in the anglophone world

Every single person I've ever met, that considered themselves a proponent of Analytical Philosophy irl, was a massive faggot.

>Ethics are not analytic philosophy.
Nobody said that. I said that ethicists, those who study ethics, mostly belong to the analytical school.

>Continental Philosophy
Trains and feelings.
>Analytic Philosophy
What if philosophy was even less likable or eloquent?

In an attempt as modern world specialization, both managed to lose the significance of the other.

Many of them do. Tarski is probably more famous as a mathemation than a philosopher for example.

What is Philosophy supposed to do? What should its goal/s be?

I am a retarded idiot who superficially judges strangers as being massive faggots: how do I know the value of your judgement is not similar to mine in worth and meaning?

the "critique" of metaphysics, aka "METAPHYSICS BAD, ESSENCE BAD, HISTORICISM GOOD, YOU NOT GOOD"

Mostly a failed project concerning most of the common threads underlying the tradition.

No universal language
Vague praxis
Shoddy metaphysics
Epistemology that is almost identical to Kant's (not much progress there lol)

IMO it seems like we've gotten a hard-won theory of reference, a clean account of implacteur, some nice ordinary language stuff (which honestly reads more like aesthetics whenever I revisit it), and something called pragmatics I don't quite understand (though I'm not convinced anyone does, from what I've read).

If anything, we learned a bunch of stuff we shouldn't do (see: descriptivism, logical positivism, radical empiricism, identity-theory, etc).

Continental still gets more pussy (and honestly looks better when it fails).

>Continental still gets more pussy
brb going to go pick up girls with a copy of "Fanged Noumena" and "The Sublime Object of Ideology"

>analytic philosophy
>historicism good

hehe

I am at this very moment seeing a cock have a breakdown over some boolean shit on twitter while literally no one cares.

Both of those philosophers have had (multiple?) wives. Don't get me started on the French (Camus, Derrida, fucking Sartre's ugly ass).

Saul Kripke was asked to leave Princeton because he kept peeping into girls' dorms. John Searle has to rape women to get laid (also my professor tells me he has quite the small dick).

Even the titles you mentioned apund cooler. Imagine being seen reading "Naming and Necessity," "Word and Object," or god forbid "Modal Realism."

>Word and Object
>implying Quine wasn't a chad

Extremely gay and pathetic, its just a pool of talent for CS and Maths. Has no purpose and they admitted to giving up on the philosophical project. Basically a bunch of vipers who sit around snapping at students and religious people. Jealous of the output of the continentals, threatened by the lack of necessity for their existence by hyper competent mathematicians and physicists. Basically, the most cucked of all the academic positions one could occupy. Worse than being a philosopher of science or an engineer. Literally nothing will ever come from your work that isn’t just eating the ass of a whole other group of people and isn’t self effacing. Pathetic lice, not worthy of a single dollar paid to them. One of the major groups that needs to be liquidated from education

I'm not implying anything. I'm straight up saying it. Quine's a huge faggot. I wonder how it must've felt to get BTFO'd by a literal autistic virgin (not to mention Jew who sounds like master yoda).

They should add this episode of Kripke's life to a cover of one of his books.
>modal dicking

actually laughed, sadly