Hey Veeky Forums so I'm going to be spending the next 6 - 8 months sleeping in a tent in a very rural region...

Hey Veeky Forums so I'm going to be spending the next 6 - 8 months sleeping in a tent in a very rural region, with around $850 for supplies that I intend to buy from the nearest town several miles away.

I have a stack of books to take with me but I have two questions:

1. How do you prevent books from becoming damp etc while living in a tent?

2. What nature-orientated books - fiction or non-fiction - would you recommend I take? I already have Jack London's stuff, some books on edible plants, and some books by Emerson and Thoreau.

Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

beyondphototips.com/recharge-silica-gel-crystals/
otshelniki.com/threads/vazhno-srochno-pomogite-vyzhit.60/
lurkmore.to/Игopь_Гpyдцинoв
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> prevent books from becoming damp
Sealed containers with those dryness sachets you find in clothing and food packages or if you want to keep it cheep dry rice.

Hmm, okay thanks for the suggestion. I don't think "dryness sachets" will last the entire period I'll be out there, and considering how many books I'm taking I'll have to take a lot of rice to cover them which will be difficult to transport.

> I don't think "dryness sachets" will last the entire period I'll be out there,
They are dirt cheap to buy, fairly small and you can "recharge" them fairly easily

beyondphototips.com/recharge-silica-gel-crystals/

I don't have any reccs for living around nature, but I like the idea of what you're doing and wish you luck.

Thank you!

I thought skinwalkers were exclusive to /x/ and /k/.

On a serious note I read Walden and Civil Disobedience when I went camping last year and it was comfy.

MOSSACK! DISHA, DISHA!

I'd get one of those survival guide books that blokes get for birthdays and one specific for your area so you know what to eat

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Don't mind me, I'm just a Russian meme passing by.

I don't think you have to worry about your books if you own a decent tent. Ventilation is key and if you fail at it, you will get damp which is much more of a problem.

Where in the world are you?

I get it not, and I'm half russian.

>6-8 months
>tent
Ffs get an axe, adze, and maddock you absolute pleb.
Build a klin and make some calcium oxiode, it's a very effective dessicant,keep it away from you and your books in a box or whatnot. Build a small log cabin with the proper foundation, cob or stone.
Living in a tent in one place for more than 10 days is absolutely silly, you would be miserable and run down by the end.

I'm from the UK but I am currently staying at a motel in Beckley, West Virginia, USA. I leave this Thursday and will travel north towards the Maine / Vermont border where I'll be staying.

What makes you think that?

Never been there but it won't be as damp as the Isle. I spent 2 weeks in scotland last year, and both tent and books were good. If you are o foot, spare yourself the extra weight and just air your tent out whenever possible.

I really like your plan. How do you make sure you won't get sacked for vagrancy? I always thought US visas are not issued for more than a couple of months.

Depends on the size of the tent. If you have a teepee or just a large canvas tent shit can get pretty comfy. Especially if you cut down two trees and have them inside your tent as a hammock support. My uncle lives in PA in a tent and works about 2 / 3 months as an engineering consultant for Raytheon and spends the rest of his time in his tent in various locations just wandering around the rustbelt.

I have a relative living in the States (who I stayed with over Xmas before travelling up here) and I plan on flying back to the UK via Mexico where she said she's happy to drive me since she often goes there with her retired friends. It's easy to get into Mexico from the US. Otherwise I don't intend on getting caught, and it's a real rural place and people are laid back, plus I am a very outwardly civilized individual and I can put on an accent if need be. I've talked to a couple of people from the region over email and they suggested camping spots (apparently "wild camping" isn't a term they use since everywhere nearby is wild, unlike the UK). Also my uncle (the deceased husband of my aunt in the US) did it when he was in his 20s which gave me the idea.

Experience, I ran off when I was 16. it's not very hard to build a shelter, it will give meaning to your life aswell is. If I were you I would be making print puts of GIS with local geology, watersheds , groundwater, property lines and historical background, laid over detailed topographical maps, laminated. Get write in rain notes, a proper knife hatchet and machete.
I employee you to explore the bioregion as much as possible. Start by searching the literature for studies on the local ecological communities, learn about every woody and herbaceous plant, insect, get your taxonomy down pheneology, ect.
Ecologically ignorant people cause harm and flounder. When you get their talk to the cool old timers, they are wells of knowledge. When I moved out in the ozarks it was the old hippies and hicks that helped me get my feet in the ground and kept me from going to the wrong places and getting my ass shot. Look for local communes

Yeah that's true, teepee are comfy. It's the modern tents that suck
Opie steal a large canvas tarp on the way up there. Get some linseed oil too.
The people that made it sure won't be hurt by you stealing it, you buying it might actually make their life worse by giving money to the hegemony, and those shits are expensive.

I see. Whats your plan on personal hygiene? Lakes around?

From the Shen Valley, user, but my dad's up near Canaan (VT). In short (in that full span) it's freaking cold. Be careful!

There are a bunch of relatively large lakes within walking distance but I'll see how it goes. As I said there's a town within walking distance so I may just shower there every couple of weeks or month etc. I've never really sweated that much so I'm not too worried. I have wet wipes.

New England- NH, VT, ME is lake-ridden. Fresh water in rare abundance, globally speaking.

Hey, thanks for the post! And yeah I have considered whether I came out here too early in the year, but the thing is I prefer the cold (or I have so far in life) but still I'll be here for Spring etc. I'm not planning to go as far north as Canaan, it's quite a way to the South-East from there.

Best learn what plants to rub on you and how to make a fatwood torch. Mosquitos and Tabanids don't fuck around

Best of luck to you. If you feel like some entertainment every now and then, I suggest you bring East Of Eden along with you. Comfy as fuck and it has good length for long days.

Wandering around the NEK, North NH, and W. Maine in the Spring and Summer's a raw enterprise. It's definitely wilderness, depressed and almost totally devoid of people. One cool thing (if you crave a little society) is the first sapping of the maples in mid\late March-- lots of little cold-weather festivals here and there, some worth checking out.

*maple sapping in south NE as well, of course, esp. VT.

>mosquitos
>winter

Already read that, but thanks for the rec. Big fan of Steinbeck. I'm not American but there's something about travelling and perhaps just living in the United States that really does feel like you're embedded in a narrative somehow, as if something just might happen to you. Pretty strange and I can't quite articulate it.

Holy fuck I haven't tasted maple syrup in so long. Think I'll buy some tonight. Is it healthy?

Bookwise, get a Bartram's America. Or check out available titles by John and William Bartram on ABE. Can be had cheaply. Edward Abbey, Barry Lopez et al. among the moderns are worth checking out. Research. See what interests.

>6-8 months of winter
Pathetic

Nature's candy? Hell yeah it's healthy!

Growth of the soil. Its referred to as Hamsuns gift to Norwegian nature

>Hamsun

Umm, sweetie, we don't read nazis here.

John McPhee, especially an early title. His little book on the (amazing) Pine Barrens may tempt (you) South to New Jersey. Wandering around in the dwarf forest as a kid just blew me away. There's nothing like it in the world.

Kek, well, it was before he was a nazi if that helps

>Pine Barrens

Do a lot of people walk through there? Could someone camp there for months without seeing another soul?

Some guy from Moscow struggling trough his university education was dumped by his girlfriend for some Chad, researched survivalist forums on the net, chose a random station in Siberia, got his friend, and bought a one way ticket there to live in the wild like real men. It was winter, by the way.

Equipped with an ax, a saw, a shovel, fishing supplies, plastic film, some canned food, grains, coffee, cooking tin, and a mug, in regular clothing, they waded, in the deep snow, a mile or two into the nearest forest. After a night at a bonfire, his friend decided to fuck that all and, spending a couple of hours straying, got out of the forest. Then the guy started posting at a forum describing his dire situation, and asking for immediate help in making a better hovel: otshelniki.com/threads/vazhno-srochno-pomogite-vyzhit.60/

The rescue operation failed. His remains were found by some local hunter a year later.

It's easy to guess how many different points you can support with that single photo of his last shelter in survivalist threads everywhere.

How could he post on a forum from a Siberian forest?

I'd say so. But if youre fated to meet your doppelgaenger in this life, it'll be there as well. There are maps. I'd get one.

It was just a couple of miles from the station. In sparsely populated regions, cell towers are quite high and usually cover a big area.

Read "Into the Wild" it's about a guy who went into the woods with Emerson books just like you. And then he died out there because he was a retarded faggot just like you.

Why didn't he just walk back to the station?

Also how did his friend respond? I'd be haunted until my death by the memory of leaving him there.

But that was in Alaska and due to his inability to ford a river- VERY unlikely anywhere in the Eastern U.S. at this time- especially with some means of rechargable communication handy. Pre-pay your cell bills, OP user. JIC.

The dude was also pretty suicidal and didn't prepare well at all for his expedition. I mean if he hadn't found that bus who knows how long he'd have lasted.

I Think I might do this when I finish uni
Probably for not as long though

In his forum posts, he said that return was not an option, that he would either survive there or die, and that he would just need a better shelter to warm himself and dry his wet boots. He did not agree to go back with his friend for the same reason.

So he was stubbornly insisting on being self-sufficient somehow?

It's hard to tell from the translation, but thanks for posting the link. I'm reading through the forum now and it looks very interesting. Some great book recs on there too.

Honest question. Are you not scared of getting murdered?

Damn, I completely missed that there is an *encyclopedic* reference: lurkmore.to/Игopь_Гpyдцинoв

Pic related, the beauty he had lost.

Not OP. But there's never been a safer time to do what OP's doing. Internet hyper-localization REALLY IS a spook.

Why would somebody go out of their way to murder someone living in the middle of nowhere? Are Americans really this violent?

No. Nor are 'murderers' that enterprising.

Oh well, Veeky Forums antispam switches some Russian characters into similar Latin ones. Just google his name.

*brraaaaaaaaapppppffhthththt*

Just the possibility of getting violently murdered in the middle of nowhere freaks me out. I couldn't sleep anywhere outside of a locked room with windows shut down.

Thanks again for posting this.

As I read the Lurkmore article, this story to me seems distinctively Russian for some reason. The romantic betrayal, the angry escape to the woods, the friend leaving and then getting arrested for his role, the forum posters posting wacky shit etc, it's the kind of thing I imagine a Russian short story writer or novelist would write about.

Guy's name is Igor Grudtsinov for those curious.

Take "My side of the mountain"

>i want to read my bookie books ohhhhh that’ll help me get into da mood for hwhat im already doing. :3
you should pick a fight with a grizzley bear or contract typhus to get the full nature experience faggot

>reading in the forest
nature herself should be your only book pleb

Walden by David Henry Thoureau

I heavily, HEAVILY recommend this if you're planning a trip of solitude.

1: user's already got it. Build a shitty shack, fuck tents.
2: I can't figure that fucking thing out. Is it foreshortened? Or is supposed to be tipped over?

buy a garden shed instead. they cost less than a good tent.

appropriately sized ziploc bags with silica gel packs you can salvage to put in 'em
>was a crust punk fuck sleeping outside all the time a year ago

The complete works of Ragnar Benson

Also, just build a tent bro
for real bro
>OP gets eaten by a bear and his corpse gets fucked by a mountain lion

OP you do understand that it's in the negative degrees Fahrenheit in that region, right, and that it snows like crazy

OP's new Indian name is Popsicle Balls

Protip: you want a less flimsy tent than that, and you can improve its resistance to rain by
>digging a ditch around it to redirect groundwater
>setting it up on top of a plastic tarp
>rigging a plastic tarp above it
A lot of tents are "waterproofed" with a spray-on substance that wears off over time, they aren't really meant for 6 months of continuous use, using all of the above methods will help prolong its lifespan and reinforce its waterproofing. Unless you want to get to your car and drive back into town at the drop of a hat, I suggest buying a reserve tent in the likely event that at some point yours collapses irreparably.

I would suggest getting a big rubbermaid tub, packing each book individually in a ziploc bag and then stacking them in that tub. In order for them to get wet after doing all that, you would have to either submerge the tub or in some other way be completely and literally retarded. Your tent should have enough room to leave the tub inside, without it touching the walls (because this will rub away that waterproofing faster). This tub will, if it's the proper kind with a lid that fully covers the seam, actually remain waterproof even in the open, but its better not to let water pool on the lid because you might drip it in, and if you squish it by sitting on it or setting something heavy on it, then the watertightness may be compromised.

I've lived in a tent for three weeks at a time, but it was in the summer, and a canvas+wood tent, not one of these nylon things. I also wasn't alone and had access to running water. Even without the isolation aspect, you do get run-down and kind of loopy toward the end. Especially if there was a string of bad weather. Three solid days of rain is enough to fuck you up way more than you could possibly imagine if you've never experienced it while camping, especially if you chose shit ground like, say, a depression at the foot of a hill.

I was going to mention just how miserable it is to go to sleep on a cold night, even in March in southern Mississippi. Even if OP was doing this from spring to fall in a temperate state I would say it will absolutely get colder than you can possibly imagine, as is he's probably gonna be dead by february desu. Rip OP

I'd be far more worried about bears than hobos and vagrants desu