6 pages of moby-dick per hour

>6 pages of moby-dick per hour
Is this fixable?

I bet you spend most of that hour thinking about your reading speed or anything else that isnt the actual words. Stop worrying. Also fast reading/reading a lot of books is a meme unless you're in academia

>no more than 6 pages an hour
>21
>english is my first and only language
>sat outside from 1pm to 10pm
>walk around to keep warm
>watch the sun go down around 4:30pm
>wear shirt, 3 jumpers, thick hoodie and a coat
>I sometimes fall asleep but for no longer than an hour
>only manage to read 30-35 pages
>this repeats for 2 weeks
So this isn't a problem then

Start with something easier. I find McCarthy to be pretty easy and fast since he strips down a lot of punctuation. Work on your attention span.

I meant that while you stare on any page of that book, you are probably thinking about something else, or even about the fact that youre reading slowly. You seem to have a pseud/brainlet complex of some kind. Blogposting about it on here or overthinking it in your layers of clothes wont solve the issue, but maybe I'm just being baited here

If you can't read quickly you're a brainlet

I think the very hungry caterpillar is more your level

is that wossname from firefly

I sit down to read and my eyes get heavy after twenty pages. My eyes keep doing the motions of reading for a few minutes then I realise I'm taking none of it in and put the book down.

drink some coffee before reading, anything that increases your focus

wasting my time in an attempt at attention whoring. not in real need of help, would rather waste your time. read the audiobook and actually sit there and listen to it also stop posting

How would 12 pages an hour of moby-dick on average (including pauses to reflect on the text) be better expected from a native english speaker?
Would 12 pages an hour of concentrating and understanding be enough?

in an hour its about 30 pages m8

read something easier
stepping stones are not just a meme, but when doing that, try not to make small leaps or you will remain at the same level

>>in an hour its about 30 pages m8
I don't believe this, you couldn't hope to appreciate a work as complex as moby-dick speeding by at 30 pages an hour, the compact denseness of the prose, the biblical references, the philosophising, trying to see the symbolism and realising the allegories.
30 pages an hour? For moby-dick? Seriously?

read Dante and you'll be immunized from the biblical verse menace

So you could finish and comprehend to the best of your ability a work as expansive and grand as moby-dick in under 20 hours at a rate of 30 pages an hour?

10 hours a day in 2 days?
You could read 300 pages of moby-dick in 10 hours?
So if I can't fully understand the deeper meaning of what melville is trying to say in this page and a half in under 3 minutes I'm a brainlet?

This took me three minutes desu

Was that one page?

Half of Moby Dick is him explaining the game mechanics of whaling. It's not that hard my guy

Moby Dick is best read in short sittings, maybe 2-3 chapters a day for a few months. You skim through chapters that don't interest you personally, and you ruminate on chapters that do. Trying to understand the work in its totality is going to fuck your mind.

>You skim
You don't skim. You don't ever fucking skim you retard hick faggot. Don't you ever fucking suggest "skimming" like it's a normal and understandable thing to do, something which isn't shameful and completely inappropriate to a LITERATURE board. No, you illiterate mongoloid beast, you do not skim.

How many pages do you usually read per hour?
On average I think I read like 20-25 and with Moby Dick I think I would read around 10-12, so I guess it's normal to read it slower, don't worry.
And yeah, use the time you are wasting thinking about your reading speed to actually think about what you are reading.

Maybe you should stop fully pronouncing words with your inner voice. You look at the word, you implicity know what it means, you don't need to go to the trouble of "pronouncing" it in your head as you would do in speech: just move on to the next word. With practice you'll be able to parse the whole line with just a few momentary glances at the 3-4 assemblies of 3-4 words that compose any given single line in particular.

lol

on the contrary, actually! he has to read it out loud if he wants to comprehend better!

I'm reading it right now and was just thinking how smooth the prose is desu I read it high on drugs quite often. You must be non native speaker, how far in it are you

>tfw read Moby Dick in 3 sittings

Wut. Not only is this a horrible idea (for Moby Dick, of all things, you absolute Philistine), I also suspect that if someone is reading only six pages an hour what's holding them back is not subvocalising. You can surely read Moby Dick out loud much faster than six pages an hour.

How much of a page is that? I just did it in 2:55, although I was distracted midway through by my browser being stupid.

How old are you and is English your first language?
How well read are you?

I read 1/4 the of Moby dick 3 years ago then stopped(I loved it but had to focus on something else)
1.5 years ago, I started reading it again from the start.. and I had to stop after 1/5
But I have lots of free time now
Should I start over again?

DUDE, IT'S MOBY DICK.
I started it the summer of 2015. Read 788/1000 pages trying to not miss one detail, to understand everything. You know what happened? I got so bored I abandoned the book. Started again, summer of 2016. Read less. Again, bored. This summer I was studying all day long, I couldn't read literature (maths-physics person here). I hate leaving books unfinished but that just doesn't even finish.
On the other hand, skimming? It is worse.

Yes, it's unironically the greatest novel I've read and I've read quite a few novels in my time

Not that guy but I've read Moby-Dick somewhere in the area of 20 times. I don't skim at all. I love every chapter. Understanding the book as a totality is an incredibly fulfilling thing to pursue, and every chapter is important enough to warrant study.

The whaling chapters are the most significant of all sections.

OP, I'd suggest reading it out loud if you're having trouble. Speak the words with emotion and character, like you would with Shakespeare.

Is 65 pages in 5 hours (including pauses to reflect on the text) good enough?
65 pages being from CHAPTER 88 Schools and Schoolmasters to CHAPTER 103 Measurement of the Whale’s Skeleton.

Don't worry about what's "good enough." Do the best you can, eliminate distractions, and read.

I think I was very worried about similar things when I started really reading. It used to be very hard for me to concentrate, and I'd constantly find myself "thinking about reading" more than actually reading. I just kept reading and eventually overcame all that without really noticing.

How did you like A Bower In The Arsacides and the preluding chapters?

>A Bower In The Arsacides
I thought this chapter was incredible, I kept on rereading the descriptions of the environment Ishmael? once visited. I can't say much about it though anything I say about it will be high school tier but it felt like he described nature in its fullest in a cycle continually manipulated by a God. I liked Stubbs dialogue in the Doubloon and The Decanter was an amusing chapter.

I'd dick Summer Glau.

>It takes me an hour to read 6 pages
Am I retarded, or does this seem ridiculously slow?

i know this sounds almost an ireal idea, but can you try to sometimes read short excerpts you find hard to read and treat them as "challenges"?

Try and read 50 on both Sat & Sun
That's 5 thousand pages just on weekends.
10 per each work day (260) and you have another 2.6k pages.

It's all amount consistency and coming back EVERYDAY

Can we create a thread like for Moby dick?

I would do a Moby-Dick read along.

Op said he will do it after gravity rainbow
So in a month

>you skim

I am currently reading GR/contributing to that thread and Moby Dick was mentioned as the next Veeky Forums bookclub project, if you wanted to wait a little while?

26, English is not my native language
I don't consider myself that well read, I guess sort of like the average person that likes to read, I can usually read works in english with no problem though (stuff like Slaughterhouse Five or Portrait of the Artist, for instance), but the hardest stuff I've read in English was Moby Dick and some Shakespeare (which take me way longer than usual).

kek

You would unironically get more out of it if you just skimmed it once and then reread it

Why not just read it properly the first time, spastic?

Nope, it does indeed seem absurdly slow.

subvocalising is something you should acoid if you're reading (most) translations, however, if you're reading Melville subvocalising is enriching, letting you get a feel for the flow of the text and hearing the richness of his prose

I'm around 30 pages per hour. 40 for easy books.

>mfw every time I pick up a book with over 700 pages

Yep even if it's just you and me lad

You read just as fast as me and I don't tear up like a little bitch about books that are a proper length. Just read for more hours every day/week you soy cuck.

>you soy cuck

Go back to your little aids-infested shit hole you el atrocidad.

Soy literally causes you to cry more, and look you're crying again. Just stop being a pussy and commit to something other than other people's money for once in your life

Does acting like this get exhausting?

get a fucking room

>six pages an hour
>at twenty one years of age
lmao what a brainlet, I can manage more on my third language

Shitposting takes far less effort than qualityposting, so no. Plus I don't drink soy milk so I'm not laden with excess estrogen so as to make me histrionic and emotional.

What a pathetic faggot you are, jeez...
>MUH SOY MUH SOY MUH SOY

No man would ever consign themselves to ingesting female hormones. Go be a genderfluid on one of the more openly cuck boards.

Oh, cuck now? Quite the vocabulary.