Care to critique my poem? It's my first one. My english teacher says it's good enough for our school's literary journal...

Care to critique my poem? It's my first one. My english teacher says it's good enough for our school's literary journal. I was influenced by Robert Frost and Edgar Allan Poe (he wrote poems too you know, not just stories) while writing this. Be gentle. Thanks.

I thought I was smart, I thought I was right
I thought it better not to fight, I thought there was a
Virtue in always being cool, so when it came time to
Fight I thought I'll just step aside and that the time would
Prove you wrong and that you would be the fool

I don't know where the sun beams end and the star
Lights begins it's all a mystery

Oh to fight is to defend if it's not
Now than tell me when would be the time that you would stand up
And be a man, for to lose I could accept but to surrender
I just wept and regretted this moment, oh that I, I
Was the fool

I don't know where the sun beams end and the star
Lights begins it's all a mystery
And I don't know how a man decides what right for his
Own life, it's all a mystery

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jcFKlEfu_eU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Enjambment isn't used well, voice is awkward
Voice and subject matter are boring in general, kind of flat and one-dimensional

Where to even begin with this shit?

Also, Veeky Forums is going to bully you. Delete this while you can if you only wanted constructive criticism.

Oh. I don't know what enjambment is. I'll look it up. I could see how you could find it boring. I was just trying to portray the narrator's inner and outer conflict fighting for his attention. Thanks for reading.

Yeah I regret it. I felt really sad after reading the first message. I don't know how to delete.

I didn't want to upset you user, I'm sorry. I hope you didn't take that as bullying. This is decent for someone's first poem I think- if you're in high school you shouldn't feel sad. I only pointed out the flaws.

No you definitely were not being a bully. I appreciate you bothering to read. I just felt the kind of sadness when you realize your internal ideas can't manifest. Like I thought I had done a decent poem but failed. I'm 27- it will be published by my community college loterary joirnal. Unless I retract it first.

This is your first poem, due to that I don't think this is a decent representation of the potential of your ability. You need to keep reading and keep writing. Again this isn't necessarily *bad* I've read a lot worse on DIY poetry websites. This is all to be expected with first poems.

I meant it's my first official one. As in this is the first time I've shown anyone. I've been writing since I was 12. I just don't feel good right now. I can't think about improvement. You always feel like if you love to do something that you're meant to do it. But sometimes you aren't. I'll be ok. It's just a shock. When I calm down I'll seek refuge in my favorite poem: "Out, Out-" by Frost.

representation of your ability*

I wanted to add that I hope you don't retract your submission because of what you're reading here. Getting published is an accomplishment, one you can mention in the future if you decide to submit more of your writing to other magazines. It's also a ginormous gold star on your resume in the eyes of any universities you'd apply to.

user, I'm only a 21 year old economics major. I have little education in literature apart from some books I've read, for all we know I could have no idea what I'm talking about. Please don't feel this way, I'm so sorry user :(

It's okay, friend. I appreciate it and after I read your words I saw what you meant. I'm sure I can improve someday. I didn't mean to be so down. I would rather face reality than contiue telling myself hopeful little stories. It hurts more but that way I can maybe find a new story to tell myself. A truer one. The new light of day can be painful to the eyes at first, but the eyes have a way of adjusting.

Are you in Veeky Forums's Discord channel by any chance?

>Veeky Forums's discord
can I have link?

>I don't know where the sun beams end and the star
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
>Lights begins it's all a mystery
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I don't know what that is.

I don't see how it's funny. But do you feel good about making someone cry for no reason about something they created and cared about for no reason but because they loved to do something that doesn't hurt anyone?

What are you even doing on Veeky Forums if you’re this fragile? Your poem is bad, it’s not the end of the world, if you only wanted praise you should have shown it to your mommy.

It's not that I just wanted praise. It just feels really bad and I get emotional. I don't like that I do. Do you really not understand? I'm human. Fragility is the essence of humans. I'm gonna leave now. Thank you to the original guy for bearing with me.

It's not a poem, it's the lyrics to the song "Fight Test" by the Flaming Lips lmao.

youtu.be/jcFKlEfu_eU

Cool "I'm 15 and bullied at school" poem senpaitachi

>felt sorry for OP
>see this
Kek, you son of a bitch, made me laugh though.

Holy shit fuck you OP I'm the original guy why am I laughing

sonovabitch

>(he wrote poems too you know, not just stories)
Implying that we don't fucking know what E.A. Poe did lol. Fucking 14 year old smartass.
Your poem is pretty shit too.

Good thread

>My english teacher says it's good enough for our school's literary journal.

There is literally no competition. It's a fucking school, nobody writes poetry besides you and one other guy. It's like being the best belly dancer in a football team.

>still posting serious replies
How embarrassing

Kekek, reading OPs posts I was beginning to have some sympathy for this aspiring artist all emotional and shit.

Got me motherfucker/10

>Edgar Allan Poe (he wrote poems too you know, not just stories)
I'm sick and tired of your fucking lies.

>he capitalizes the first word in each line

Reads like a shitty pop song.