Should I get all of Aristotle writings?

Should I get all of Aristotle writings?

Who the fuck is Aristote?

interesting, I didn't know his name was different in French.

It's how you spell Aristotle in french.

Is it worth getting or there are only a few books that are relevant?

It's the adventures of baby aristotle, duh, by the same people who did kid merlin.

depends, i am of the opinion that Aristotle was something of a systematic thinker despite some tensions
between his Metaphysics and the Categories and he does occasionally make rather interesting philosophical
points in some of his fuck-off treatises on assorted phenomena (i.e. meteorology, animal parts, on dreams, on sleeping and so on).
it is worth thinking that Aristotle likely saw his intellectual efforts as a sort of unified front and that they all fall somewhere on the order
of being and the order of explanation.

i think if you are getting a work on Aristotle, you should probably get his full works because very few people comprehend Aristotle now,
and i dont mean that in the sense other than the traditional interpretation of Aristotle. you need to understand the Physics and the Metaphysics
to understand De Anima, which you need to understand Nicomachean Ethics which you need to understand his Politics. more often then not, he makes
points he neglected in his main works in his less relevant ones (e.x. the Physics and the Parts of Animals). if you want to study Aristotle, you would be
doing yourself a favor making these minor texts available to yourself with a good translation (or if you can, in greek).

Thanks, I think I will buy it.

>A
>RIS
>TOTE

what

>fuck, I told you it was too big redo it
>I already printed 1000
>shit

It is propably just cheaper to buy the collected works instead of buying separate books.

Yes, and Plato too.

No

Am I the only person who pronounces "Aristotle" like "Chipotle"??

>Anglos sperging out about the French spelling when they spell it wrong aswell

Before you sperg out about this one aswell, that is actually the correct spelling in the latin alphabet

kekk

How does this make you feel?

>Bilbon
>Frodon
>translations

"""""""""no"""""""""

Give it a few hundred years and the Academie Francais will create a new accent mark to explain why everyone dropped the Ns.

What’s is a Ris Tote?

UNDERRATED

Already have that one

I got the audiobook for Le Hobbit.
So strange, but I got used to it.
My native language is Portuguese anyways.

>he makes points he neglected in his main works in his less relevant ones

This is a good point, although I'd list Physics as a "main" work while agreeing that your comment absolutely applies to stuff like Meteorologica (which rears its head a bit in the bio works IIRC) and Generatione et Corruptione (also shows up in bio works, I'd definitely bet metaphysics but I haven't gotten that far). Even the borderline ignorable treatises like the parva naturalia have a few points that are considered (relatively) important by a number of commentators I've read.

In short, you're right; the corpus is really interwoven and frankly is rather tricky to approach. The texts themselves may offer some decently linear progressions (physics->GC/meteorologica/de caelo; HA->PA->GA->parva naturalia; Organon always presented in same order) but IMO the particularly difficult part is in wrangling with commentaries and secondary sources. I'd argue reading these is necessary for Aristotle in a way that someone who has only read Plato can literally not even imagine; Aristotle is a fucking monster to grapple with, especially at first. The trouble is that most commentaries basically presume that the reader is familiar with most of if not all of the corpus already, along with at least its general ideas, consequences, etc. The more prominent texts like NE or whatever will be available in accessible editions from oxford/penguin, but from my experience the commentaries on lesser known texts can get brutally academic and almost always presume you're comfortable with the organon and familiar with all of Metaphysics, which (it's seemed to me) should be built up to from organon to physics, etc. Bit of a catch-22; you have to just jump in the shit and try to get your bearings along the way.

>A
>RIS
>TOTE
Are frogs retarded?

non fiston

Yes. One thing I've noticed is that they very often start bandying about the word "substance" without explaining what a "substance" is. It may seem obvious to one who has been taught Aristotle by another, but for a lone neophyte picking up a book, the word is strange and mysterious. The same could be said of other technical words.

Yeah that's a great example. Similarly the bio works and de anima lean heavily on potentiality/actuality which I think aren't polished until metaphysics.

The hardest part is getting started. I think anyone who struggles through the core Organon, Physics, and De Anima will have the confidence and familiarity to move on to the NE and metaphysics, and most commentaries.