How's the writing career coming, Veeky Forums?

How's the writing career coming, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/20/earnings-authors-below-minimum-wage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no one here will ever publish a book

Had an excerpt of my memoir published recently online.

idk, i've been advised to keep writing and try to publish

I think it's more of a matter of admittance.

I believe the words the publishing company used were "don't quit your day job".

I don't get paid for it, but I consider writing my fulltime job, so this is immensely encouraging for me.

i will and youll hear about it

Wrote a satire, mostly self deprecating anti french depressionism. Not one agent is interested.

Have a new novel coming out likely in 2019, and a book about my experience with psychedelics coming out this year

Use a black female pseudonym. TRUST ME.

but then actually identify as a black female

I have a number of short stories out for submission to magazines, and I also have a short story collection out for submission with a small press. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the year I start to break out as a writer. I've already had a few short stories published, but they've been in smaller venues. Last year I got a lot of personalized rejection letters from the magazines and websites where I sent my stories, so I feel like I may be close.

Most actual published writers don't give up their day jobs either.

theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/20/earnings-authors-below-minimum-wage

Realtalk 2018 is a really poor time to be trying to make a career out of writing. If you're approaching it from an academic/intellectual perspective, do something else more freeform that caters to your specific expertise, and if you're coming at it from a technical standpoint then just get into some kind of entertainment medium that actually makes money.

If you write solely because you enjoy writing then you shouldn't be expecting a paycheck anyways.

Stopped entirely, there's just no point anymore.

I am not even trying

I've written a couple stories, thoughts and inner monologue are easy, because I'm basically writing what I think, but I lack the vocabulary and understanding to create beautiful metaphors for the world around me, and instead of writing about the excitement of forbidden prenuptial attraction, I'm worried I will only come out looking like some kind of pedophile.

How can I learn the art of metaphor and describing the world with words.

hahaha I have been writing self depricating anti-German shit too hahahaha

My character is so detached that he stole everything from the French, their ideas and interests and almost their strange sexual appetites sex with students. I am trying to see how can overcome this by the end, but I don't know what to do, or if it will just end.

Finished five novels so far, all crap. I have good feelings about my latest one though, and it's 40,000 words in. I write about a thousand a day at least, and if I don't write I feel crap. Writing is my life. Maybe it's not a career, but it makes me happy.

> I have good feelings about my latest one though, and it's 40,000 words in.

Holy shit man, this massive amount of quantity tells me it is probably bad, plaes tell me the subject so you can confirm my suspicion.

Thought I had more than enough money to support myself writing all month but just found out I fucked up.
Other than that it's going well. 1000 words a day, new routine planned to hopefully double that, a 50% increase at least.

>40,000 words
>massive amount of quantity
?

Kek.

i'm a writer, so writing is my career
haven't started work for the new year yet though

Ok I admit English is my first language, but not my best.

Still writing SEO garbage for less than five cents a word. I had an interview at some shitty blog startup in my city but I got rejected, probably because I subtly pretended to be gay.

>probably because I subtly pretended to be gay.
Not subtly enough going by your post

My point was that 40,000 words isn't a lot. It's like 100 pages in a published novel

oh, now that I'm thinking about it yes, I was wrong. I am still intersted in what the book is about. Now more, because it is probably good since you write so much.