Home librarys

I was watching this video by some guy called Wes Callihan about this personal library he has in his home. While watching it I was thinking to myself "has he actually read all those books?" The guy literally had mountains books but the entire time I couldn't believe he has actually read them. I mean how many lifetimes would it actually take to get through all those books? That's not even the craziest part. In the video he talks about how his library pales in comparison to his friends.

Like WTF?!?!? Are these people actually reading these books or are they just collecting hardcover books to swipe their hands over the spines of the book to get some sexual gratification out of it.

Was just wondering if it was possible to do this. Like, does anyone in this thread have this power? If it is possible I would I would heighten my standards and try to read more books.

Pic related is screenshot from video.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1E8PGchwuGA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Change the y to I and add es
Also tldr

I haven't read even half the books on my shelf. But I sure love being to walk by book case, pick something up, and start reading it.

>Was just wondering if it was possible to do this. Like, does anyone in this thread have this power? If it is possible I would I would heighten my standards and try to read more books.
Yes, it is entirely possible. Reading 50 books a year is completely within the realm of possibility, and a lot of people do. Having an extensive library of "to read" books isn't uncommon either.

>in a Veeky Forums board
>to;dr
Do you even read bro? Also, OP is just asking if it's possible to read high amounts of books like the guy in pic related who has his own personal library or if he's just trying to seem smart by having his own library of books he doesn't even read.

How do I build this habit and what's the point of reading if you haven't really got a good memory and at times you forgot the paragraph you've just read?

He says in that very video that he hasn't read them all.

And yes it's possible to read that much easily. I read a quarter of the Catechism of the Catholic Church yesterday by accident, about 200 pages. The problem is that as you get older your retention goes down, and you need to reread to get the same amount out of the text, but you have the benefit of more knowledge going in. Choose the books you read in your youth carefully.

Dude

>The writer Umberto Eco belongs to that small class of scholars who are encyclopedic, insightful, and nondull. He is the owner of a large personal library (containing thirty thousand books), and separates visitors into two categories: those who react with “Wow! Signore professore dottore Eco, what a library you have! How many of these books have you read?” and the others — a very small minority — who get the point that a private library is not an ego-boosting appendage but a research tool. Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. The library should contain as much of what you do not know as your financial means, mortgage rates, and the currently tight real-estate market allows you to put there. You will accumulate more knowledge and more books as you grow older, and the growing number of unread books on the shelves will look at you menacingly. Indeed, the more you know, the larger the rows of unread books. Let us call this collection of unread books an antilibrary.

>How do I build this habit
start with books that you REALLY want to read. It doesn't matter if they're trash books or not. Don't listen to Veeky Forums. You start with shit you like, and the desire to diversify and expand what you read will come with time, as long as you're willing.

>what's the point of reading if you haven't really got a good memory and at times you forgot the paragraph you've just read?
Because it's enjoyable. The same reason you eat foods you enjoy, instead of just whatever. A transitory experience is still an experience.
Besides, the more you read, the more you'll remember.

youtube.com/watch?v=1E8PGchwuGA

Here's the vid. Shame on you OP for not sharing.

>reading a book by accident
you tripped and fell on it?

Other than novels, you don't have to "read" books in the way you think. After you complete undergrad, you realise that you raid books rather than read them - and you keep a large library for constant reference and availability of appropriate reading for pleasure regardless of mood.

I have a relatively small collection that spans two bookshelves. I'm only 22 so a good chunk of it is still from YA books I haven't bothered to get rid of.

OP's image is nice because it looks all hardback but I can't imagine being able to afford that. I just go to local used bookstores and browse the classics/modern classic section as well as sci fi and fantasy for any new series I did some research on. I'm almost out of room on my shelves.

I get the habit from my dad who does the same thing. His personal library is immense, even after some forced removal of part of it from my mom. I'm not even sure how many books he has.

My dream one day is to own a big house with a dedicated library featuring beautiful shelves and comfortable furniture and hopefully inherit most if not all of his books.

>but I can't imagine being able to afford that

It may very well be a lifetime's accumulation of dirt-cheap used books from old libraries and the like. The price would be fairly low spread out over decades.

I was reading the Bible but was getting tired so picked up the Catechism for a break and read 200 pages.

Read Walter Benjamin’s essay on book collecting, you pleb

basic gestalt plz

>Do you even read bro? Also, OP is just asking if it's possible to read high amounts of books like the guy in pic related who has his own personal library or if he's just trying to seem smart by having his own library of books he doesn't even read.

Too lazy to read. Could you do tl;dr?

>"You should always have more books in your library than you have read. You should never have read all of your books. If you've read them all you're not buying fast enough. To have books on your shelves that you haven't read is to have potential. It's to know that you haven't learned it all. It's to still be able to wonder, to say 'no I haven't read everything.' If you've read all the books in your library, you're in danger of thinking that you know everything."

Did you even watch the video, OP?

>if the book isn't in my library it doesn't exist
>i must keep buying books to make them real

Books were never meant to be read from start to finish.
You should just read what you feel at the moment.

It's a great feeling having a massive collection of books at your disposal and going "Hmmm I feel like reading a little bit of X tonight."
Start a book, come back to it months later. It doesn't matter.

Not him, but Benjamin basically said what I said in this post

Based Taleb

I average about 5-7 books per month. If I had the money to buy every book there's no doubt that by the time I turned his age my library would be in the neighborhood as far as size goes.

>you tripped and fell on it?
my dick fell inside i swear

I think I'll read 1/8th of a story tonight.

>Books were never meant to be read from start to finish.
this is disingenuous.

yes, start from the middle chapters while you do. it is truly the way to go about it.

>tfw gain a bookcase of read books every 1-2 years
I had to get rid of a lot because I moved, but it's becoming a problem again. I know other people with similar or larger collections who give away everything that they won't need to reference again and so have mostly non-fiction shelves despite reading fiction often.

A girl I know bought a five shelf bookcase and only had one and a half full, most of which were bedtime stories for her son. She said it was great value because she'd never have to get another one. Thinking about it makes me depressed and I'd prefer the anxiety of trying to fit more shelves into my one bed than the future her kid probably has in store.

It's true though. Only a tiny portion of books are novels or stories with a continuous structures.

Think of all the nonfiction histories, biographies, reference books, science books, medical textbooks, law books, philosophical works, etc etc. where you can basically jump in the book at any point and it doesn't matter.

>666
You are not fooling anyone.

I find this statement comfortably agreeable.