Shouldn't poetry make a comeback now that people have trouble with concentration?

Shouldn't poetry make a comeback now that people have trouble with concentration?

I mean, I guess we've seen this to some extent with Rupi Kaur as much as it pains me to call her stuff "poetry", but I feel like a short poem is the ideal form of literature for the 21st century layman.

Short, and it gets to the core of things. It can still express complex feelings and issues, yet it doesn't waste your time.

poems require thought and dissection though
I'd rather just read tolkien or vance where everything is explained to me and I can just speed along

every tweet is a poem

>poetry is low C, low iq
these truly are the last days

Not always. The definition of a poem is free enough nowadays that anything can do.

No, you don't get it. Start with brainlet poems like Rupi's and keep them reading poems that are better & better until they Veeky Forums up.

One hopes that plebs realize poetry never left and that they will abandon their pleb ways, but it is not likely.

No, because poetry requires more concentration. It's shorter in number of words, but that's the only way it is shorter.

I don't like poetry at all. Always hated it. I find plain prose much more poetic.

>poetry never left

Yeah, I guess it only went from the only literature to one of the least popular literature.

No, because poetry typically demands more concentration than prose. While shorter, it's more condensed, meaning it requires more concentration and patience just to experience and understand literally, much less interpret. That's why Rupi Kaur is so popular, because her writing draws on the brevity and freedom of poetry while ignoring the criteria that would make it challenging to the average reader.

>That's why Rupi Kaur is so popular, because her writing draws on the brevity and freedom of poetry while ignoring the criteria that would make it challenging to the average reader.

Yes, but is it not poetry?

Poetry will never make a comeback as long as leftists and feminists run the book industry.
When white men take back literature, as they rightfully should, poetry will regain its place as a respectable hobby and pursuit.

Until then, it's just going to be poetry about muh vagina and "dude racism is bad."

It's poetry the same way a deviantart sketch is fine art.
It fulfills the requirement but only "good" art is rare and valuable. "My dick is hard/ They call me the bard" is poetry, but that doesn't mean there's any substance to it, anything to consider or anything within the use of words that invokes a reaction.
Saying that Rupi is good because it at least gets people into poetry is like saying Linkin Park nightcore is fine because their fans may become Arvo Part fans down the line. It's not likely to happen because the fans of the former enjoy it in a way that generally will never lead to further exploration of the craft.

Poetry is (historically) condensed in a way that demands rereading and reflection. The ephemeral way we consume media now is not conducive for that.

Or we can pretend the "enjambment makes my tumblr deep" movement is the next evolution of poetry. In which case, I'm out.

> shouldn't poetry make a comeback now that we have radio, tv, internet and video games as superior narrative vehicles?

quod erat fucking demonstrandum

>I don't like poetry at all. Always hated it. I find plain prose much more poetic.

i always found poetry more prosaic.

High-quality poetry might be able to entice people to read and reread it by its beauty, drawing them in where deeper meaning could be found.

The trouble is that modern poetry lacks a really pleasing poetics. Abandoning both rhyme and meter has been very bad for poetry. Now it's all just flat and dull, like talking. Poetry was never meant to be like talking.

>people have trouble with concentration

That's why 1000 page fantasy novels are the most popular form of literature right now.

I always found poetry more poetic myself. Here; I wrote a haiku

In the shadow of trees in summer

A cool breeze grazing your balls

OP sucking dick behind the portapotties

well, you're retarded

Those books are written to be skimmed through

attention span isn't the problem. Explain to me how people can play a single game for eight hours straight if they have no attention span? Also why would Rilke say in Brigge's Notebooks that Brigge was happy to be surrounded by people who still read before the technological explosion? The problem has to do with people be uninterested in humans and their problems. Not attention span.

Newer forms of media prey on addictive tendencies in ways books can't.

I dunno about that, user. Have you ever read erotica?

Sure but not for eight hours straight. That can't be good for your blood pressure.

Fair enough. I'm pretty sure that would cause my penis to rupture.

What does poetry have to do with concentration?

No.

Poetry actually requires more concentration than prose because the medium itself is literally more concentrated.

Yes, but theres also the intellectual challenge. A doorstopper like Infinite Jest requires months of commitment. A poem could only require a week of reflection and studying. The latter has a quicker reward, and a quicker sense of accomplishment. It wouldn't take a reader more than two weeks to finish and understand on a basic level masterpieces like The Wasteland or Dante's Inferno.