Name a book or an author that you never see discussed on Veeky Forums and you can't understand why not

Name a book or an author that you never see discussed on Veeky Forums and you can't understand why not.

Culture of Critique, because jews immediately derail and mass report to get the thread deleted.

Salman Rushdie

Stanisław Lem

DFW

Euclid. Trust me, Veeky Forums doesn't wanna talk about it.

50 Shades of Grey, it's like the plebs on here don't even apreciate high art

Szerb

>see poster of first 1-star review
>"I used to be an ideological Zionist,but since I gave up entirely on Islamophobia,I am able to see the other side of the conflict!"

Robert Musil.

Yeah, I loved the Star Diaries. I am reading The Futurological Congress at the moment, was pretty disappointed at first since the first ~50 pages are just a chore to get through, then it gets much more enjoyable. Lem was a visionary in many regards, and still holds relevance today.

Invisible Man.
This board being inundated by ignorant pol-baiters isn't enough of an explanation.

Orhan Pamuk
Julian Barnes
Guimarães Rosa

Louis Lavelle
Paul Tillich
Julián Marías

There's a bunch of great authors Veeky Forums wont discuss because Veeky Forums is a board for tasteless circlejerkers.

I see Man Without Qualities talked about or at least mentioned pretty regularly. But everybody sleeps on Confusions of Young Torless and Five Women, and they really shouldn't.

I'm a pole, so have acces to his whole bibliography, but I am curious about his translations. How many, and which of his books are translated into english?

I am german actually. I don't know about english editions, but on wikipedia it says most books were translated into german as well. I have the impression however that Lem often made puns and word-plays based on the polish language, the german translations are pretty awkward sometimes.

>Julian Barnes
Flaubert's Parrot was the shit.

"The Gleam"
Its one of the most beautiful books I've ever read.

Robert Ardrey. You'd think /pol/ would love ethology for it's general conservativism and openness to be abused in whatever way one wants.

Edmund Husserl

Seen Torless mentioned, rarely discussed. I'd never even heard of Five Women until now.

Thomas Babington, Lord Macaulay

>Wrote the greatest history of the English nation in a prose as rich as Gibbon's own Decline and Fall
>greatest Whig parliamentary orator of this day, the heir in spirit to Fox
>MP for many years, Secretary of War and Paymaster General, chaired the committee which composed the penal code of India - remains the penal code of India to this day
>Dozens of critical essays
>Lays of Ancient Rome - wonderful ballads cherished and memorized by the school children of many successive generations

>Then out spake brave Horatius,
>The Captain of the Gate:
>"To every man upon this earth
>Death cometh soon or late.
>And how can man die better
>Than facing fearful odds,
>For the ashes of his fathers,
>And the temples of his Gods."

>The new Parliament, which, having been called without the royal writ, is more accurately described as a Convention, met at Westminster. The Lords repaired to the hall, from which they had, during more than eleven years, been excluded by force. Both Houses instantly invited the King to return to his country. He was proclaimed with pomp never before known. A gallant fleet convoyed him from Holland to the coast of Kent. When he landed, the cliffs of Dover were covered by thousands of gazers, among whom scarcely one could be found who was not weeping with delight. The journey to London was a continued triumph. The whole road from Rochester was bordered by booths and tents, and looked like an interminable fair. Everywhere flags were flying, bells and music sounding, wine and ale flowing in rivers to the health of him whose return was the return of peace, of law, and of freedom. But in the midst of the general joy, one spot presented a dark and threatening aspect. On Blackheath the army was drawn up to welcome the sovereign. He smiled, bowed, and extended his hand graciously to the lips of the colonels and majors. But all his courtesy was vain. The countenances of the soldiers were sad and lowering; and had they given way to their feelings, the festive pageant of which they reluctantly made a part would have had a mournful and bloody end. But there was no concert among them. Discord and defection had left them no confidence in their chiefs or in each other. The whole array of the City of London was under arms. Numerous companies of militia had assembled from various parts of the realm, under the command of loyal noblemen and gentlemen, to welcome the King. That great day closed in peace; and the restored wanderer reposed safe in the palace of his ancestors.

-Macaulay on the Restoration of Charles II

he is pop philosophy thought and any mention to phenomenology is an indirect mention to him

The Kalevala

not much talk about Beckett.
every now and then.

Currently reading Murphy.
I've read a few other novels and plays.
I think Fizzles is an interesting work.
His use of english amazes me. Every sentence is a bit of a surprise.

I think maybe the reason he isn't discussed much is because there is a convoluted connection between Beckett and Absurdism, which is maybe somewhat accurate, but his work surpasses Camus by a land slide.
Also I figured because of his affiliation with King Braapington he'd be brought up more.

Georges Perec. There's supposed to be a French literature renaissance going on in this board and yet nobody ever talks about my main man. I mean seriously what the fuck.

Check the archive, newfag

i think you're conflating theatre of the absurd with absurdism a bit here.

Definitely.
Yeah I had the feeling that I've been doing that for the past couple years but never cared to fix the problem.

yeah, you're right. Beckett pops up quite a bit, somehow. Not a newfag tho, just blinked at the wrong time

Mothafuckin Sinclair Lewis

Orhan Pamuk.
I think he is one of the best contemporary writers. I can't cthink of a reason why nobody talks about him here, he even has this subtle /r9k vision that suits very well every Veeky Forums user

G.K. Chesterton

Lawrence Durell. He was an Anglo, his prose is luscious, he wrote thick books. A shame.

Kadare
Kazantzakis
Pamuk
Hasek
Anatole France
Sienkiewicz
Zola
Yourcenar
Khayyam

Hermann Hesse

habermas

Jacque Barzun; except by me.
I mean he's not discussed anywhere, so meh
>tfw the 20th century's greatest critic is forgotten

Cioran should get a lot more love.

Does anybody know name of the book where little girl, snowmans, two dwarfes and dude who broke ton of christmas toys tried to destroy time?

These greats are never discussed
>Hesse
>Chekhov
>Borges
>Ibsen
>Milton
>Goethe
>Dante
>Flaubert
>Stendhal
>Turgenev
>Seneca
>all poetry

The same 5-10 authors/works are talked about on Veeky Forums: DFW, Pynchon, Tolstoy, Joyce, Dostoevsky, recently Moby Dick, the Bible, etc., the rest is frogposting. Proust is only mentioned when I post my chronic masturbation or supreme god tier power ranking copypastas (I'm also the creator of the DFW tracksuit and Infinite Jest night class copypastas btw).

you know why he's not discussed.

BRUNO SCHULZ

I read the first half of Molloy at the behest of a friend who's obsessed with him and I just couldn't go any farther. His use of language is amazing, he easily rivals Joyce there, but his language and stories in general are just so interior and abstracted that there's nothing for me to hold onto to make it through.
>tfw brainlet pseud of the highest order
Although, I do really enjoy Rough for Theater and Endgame and other plays that are reminiscent of him (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead comes to mind). I think his style is more appropriate for theater than as a novel.

Mishima

Graham Greene

bump

Master Necro Mega-Damage Rapeface

Taleb, he gets like 1-2 threads per year at most.

Danielle Steel

This is odd. Lit does seem to like hot-take discussions on post-60's "maximalist" novels (Is Rushdie "maximalist"?). There's a better word for the kind of fun-fact prose and sprawling matrix of framed narratives that Pynchon does well and Rushdie does fairly poorly. Come to think of it, I don't remember even a single major framed narrative in The Satanic Verses. Maybe "subplots" is better.

I usually hear Beckett mentioned here only in his relation to Joyce.

This is why Thomas Pynchon should be popular. He is the figurehead of a far broader and massive complex of writers who may or may not know things as concerns occult societies and war and peace in general.

These sorts of things will become plain in due time, and can only stay hidden for so long, as the light must shine. So having the mystery novels that Pynchon creates be read, raises some important questions people must answer.

You're damn right and it's killing me. This board seemed a few strata more refined even a year ago. I don't remember the last actual discussion I've seen crop up on here that wasn't buried by frenetic blogposts or arguments about dipshit politics.

The Grinch?

Anonymous
He's put out some great stuff over the years.

Lars Saabye Christensen

Sloterdijk
Honestly this is one of the most brilliant works of the last 20 years

I had the same problem. Was looking for a discussion about Euclid and related works that while mathematical, are very beautiful and to a certain point, literary. Couldn't find 1 person here or in Veeky Forums that had a solid opinion on the topic. I haven't read him yet, just a few pieces of Elements, but will do soon. Also pretend to read Apollonius, Archimedes and Nicomachus.

have you read the elements? what did you think about it? any other recommendations of classic, beautiful mathematical works?

I second Turgenev. As for Pamuk - though I've only read The Museum of Innocence - I find him to be a most dull writer...