Why is the Hero´s Journey so overrated?

because joseph campbell was incredibly popular

It was a tool of interpretation, but people think it's recipe for stories.

Semi related. This is something I heard while listening to an interview with Stephen Gaghan.

Tolstoy vs Robert Mckee on what is the most important thing(s) to master in storytelling:

Robert Mckee:
Storty Structure

Tolstoy (ranked in order of importance):
1. Transitions (the rhythm of the work)
2. Context (the ability to create a living breathing backdrop against which your action will happen)
3. Characters
4. Story Structure

Quote from Gaghan on this "My feeling is that when you start with story structure, [like Mckee suggests] you are headed down an inescapably derivative path"

That's to me what the hero's journey is, except even less thought out and useful than McKee.

george lucas made him saying that campbell´s book was an inspiration for star wars, obviously he was lying

interesting, do you have the link of the full interview?

Jung and Star Wars, usual trash.

kek

I'm currently reading his book on oriental mythology and the man was just very charismatic and eloquent. While his theories need to be taken with a LOT of salt, he's never 100% lying, just trying to make shit fit his framework.

i´m just tired of the whole notion of the hero´s journey being some sort of sacrilegious form of storytelling, i want to demolish the notion
(specially reddit-tier people) have about this

so you're saying that there is no issue with making stories built around the heroes journey?

The hero's journey is just Hegelian dialectic applied to narrative.

This

i also have issues around what you said, faggot

it's popular in current normie dialogue b/c it makes them feel like they can apply "literary analysis" to the insipid art they enjoy

this

>he thinks it's not a recipe for stories

I agree that you shouldn't start with story structure but, and I'm going to pretend Tolstoy would agree with me, story structure is just as essential and vital as the transitions, context, and characters.

Who considers it a sacrilegious form?

it appeals to pseuds who think they've found some secret key to unlock the 'real meaning' behind every story

Your picture fails to illustrate the manga's imagery that accompanies that concept. Traditional books use more rigid forms of story telling like irony instead.

he meant sacred

I think he meant sacrosanct or something.

Can't wait to read your navel gazing coffee and cigarettes novel bro

the only "people" i know who dislike the heros journey are newbie screenwriters who are too lazy to learn it, and think that they only need their "imagination" for writing desu

why would you need to learn a diagram you can just check?

it can be whatever you want it to be as long as it works