Hp lovecraft

Which book should I start with and which was his best? How are his books in general? which was the best?

this list was typed up by cocklicking faggots, just so you know. thinking, much less writing like that is a sign of latent homosexuality

start in chronological order you helpless little retard

Get J.C Oates Lovecraft anthology, "Tales of H.P Lovecraft." Basically contains all his best. Then if you want to read more, pick up a "Complete."

This is a good list.

Also Hollebecque's book on him is good.

If you find yourself unslaked after that, get the anthology Weird by Jeff Vandemeer.

don't even wast your time

Penguin published a great collection of his short stories that was a really good read

haha nice typo faggot

I'm doing that rn. Valdemar's editions of Lovecraft's works fucking rules.

guess who had more typos, you fucking faggot?
Yeah your beloved retarted "muh creatures liquid outer-space indifferent to manking Shallagoth CHrughull creatures from the sea" author H.P. Lovecraft(Stephen King's master).

You probably didn't even know that HP didn't know grammar, research that, moron.

Prime example of HP fan here, folks.
You probably can't even understand literature, go to another board; better yet: lurk more, fool.

I think considering his work "masterpieces" is too much, but there are some enjoyable and good at most

His ideas were interesting but he was a pretty shitty writer. I thought Stephen King's, "Crouch End", "N", and, "Revival" did better jobs of Lovecraftian mythos than Lovecraft ever did.

Is this what autistic rage looks like?

>m-m-muh Cthulothrical Shabbagroth Htmnogralkhi

His best work

Just buy this and read it cover to cover. He only wrote five novellas and a few dozen short stories. Well, he also wrote a ton of poetry, letters, and essays, but I'm guessing you aren't interested in that stuff.

Yup, this is pure autistic rage.

you wanna see how autims looks like?

I will give u a tip:
google H,P. Lovecraft images

another fun fact:
I'm anglo hate other groups
marries jew
masta race: always sick, can't even live home
followed by the worst authors ever
Borges called him one of the worts authors in English language
like Edgar Allan Poe, if Poe was absolutely retarded and had never had a meaningful relation with another human.

Swallow that, pleb

Damn, you're mad as fuck for no reason. Did a genre fiction writer molest you? Is a ex-girlfriend a Lovecraft fan?

>Yeah your beloved retarted "muh creatures liquid outer-space indifferent to manking Shallagoth CHrughull creatures from the sea" author H.P. Lovecraft(Stephen King's master).

man, that's so true
If Lovecraft was alive today, he'd be a fucking Kekistani

>Kek came aeons ago, in a cyclopean tower in Egypt

>a ex-girlfriend
*your ex-girlfriend

He's right though. Lovecraft was literally autistic and people who champion his racist beliefs are too superficial to look into who he married and the fact that he was a physically weak specimen.

why don't you try to respond to my arguments instead of using these juvenile ad hominem attacks?

Good luck trying to defend a pleb-tier author, Rupi Kaur for neckbeards

>respond to my arguments
What arguments? You haven't said anything of substance. All of your arguments are just "HE SUCKS!"
>juvenile ad hominem attacks
That's rich coming from you. Stay mad, autist.

What are your favourite Lovecraft stories and why? I've read a bit by him and the dialogue and characters were very poor.

I don't see anyone in this thread defending Lovecraft's personal views. It's irrelevant, we're only talking about his work.

I guess you are just too retarted to comprehend how I laid down his bio and showed how ridiculous his work is.
Next time you read him, you will remember ur little talk

>Stay mad, autist.

Wow just got an idea fpr a great story,it shall be valled at the mountainso madness there will be a monster from the sea and quotes from the mad rab abdul

>Wow just got an idea fpr a great story,it shall be valled at the mountainso madness there will be a monster from the sea and quotes from the mad rab abdul
lol I like you

>? I've read a bit by him and the dialogue and characters were very poor.
Everything in his work is below bad, some stories are worser than stephen King.
The reason spmeone would enjoy his crap has more to with their own abiity to comprehend anything bettr than with the work itself

This post is Veeky Forums personified

Fuck off, reddit nigger.

Memory is good too
The picture in the book

Masterpiece refers to one individual's best work. Everyone who strives to improve, or master something has a masterpiece even if it is crap.

This is a degeneration of the phrase at best, a falsehood at worst.

A masterpiece is a work that serves as proof that an artist or artisan is a master rather then an apprentice of their form. It originally meant something that got you entry to an artisan's guild or academy.

Calm down sweety

I think HPL gets unfairly characterized as having been not very prolific, when in fact he wrote several volumes worth of short fiction during his lifetime. Unfortunately outside of his known canon, most of his fiction is pretty meh.

You can plow through Shadow over Innsmouth in a night online, and then decide if the rest of his work is for you.

i read the first 300 pages of SK's revival, he is a solid writer, the shining was good...however revival just lacked any exploration of theme for me. Its like a well directed movie but conveys no insight into life for the reader

By your own admission then, it wasn't a term reserved to a miniscule elite

>followed by the worst authors ever
William S. Burroughs was a fan of Lovecraft.

>showed how ridiculous his work is.
No, you made some childish jokes about his monsters. I repeat, you haven't said anything of substance. You think you're real clever but the truth is you're just another shitposter who doesn't know how to intelligently critique literature. Namedropping Borges doesn't make you an intellectual.

This is a pretty solid list. However, I would put The Statement of Randolph Carter, Beyond the Wall of Sleep, and From Beyond in great tier. Herbert West–Reanimator is also worth reading. It's schlock that Lovecraft hated, but it's a lot of fun.

these are fucking good, my GF's father has them. I on the other hand wanted to read Lovecraft untranslated, so I got the Barnes and Noble edition.

I will waste a little more time demonstrating how stupid idiot Lovecraft and his fans are.

Lovecraft characters are completely one-dimensional figures who are always on the verge of madness. There is nothing original aboit them, if you read Poe, you will notice that this sort of character appear at some of his most famlus stories such as fall of the house of usher. In Lovecraft's case, however, we see a copy of this character appearing over and over with some repetitive quotes from the fictional book, relation to a cult of Dagon and more of these ridiculous gimmicks.
His notion of good writing is spending as many big adjectives as he can, just look at his descriptions of places and creatures, the most horrifying abomination in the pages of his books( they should have stayed in weird magazines btw). My thesis on the horrible level of his writing is that he felt that writing as many polysyllables as he could was a sign of genius, read his story about the drunk father( you likely don't know that anyway).
There is also his essay, supernatual horror in literature. In this piece, he'd say thinfs like "the levels of cosmic horror are unmatched"(meaningless analysis) or "only a very sensitive person can appreciate the horror"
I have much more, but I think this is enough.
Anyway, good luck trying to enjoy Lovecraft after this demolition.
Funny:
>weird literature
>cyclopean
>aeons
>even death may die
>the mad arab Abdul Alharazth

I have theses too.
Pic is his best.

>Lovecraft characters are completely one-dimensional figures who are always on the verge of madness.
Right off the bat, you're wrong. Many of his characters start off completely sane and not all of them succumb to insanity. I would bet a lot of money you've read less than 5 of his stories.
>There is nothing original aboit them
So? Lovecraft was a horror author who never got to write a full length novel. In a short story, especially a horror short story, there's only so much you can do with a character.
>Anyway, good luck trying to enjoy Lovecraft after this demolition.
Lol. Are you seriously such a narcissistic faggot you think this amateur hour critique will shake my love of Lovecraft? Stop huffing your own farts. Long before you came along I was aware Lovecraft's characters aren't very deep and that Lovecraft could get carried away with adjectives. Every author has his faults. I love Lovecraft because his stories are full of unique, mind-bending ideas. No amount of "b-but his characters are shallow and he uses too many adjectives," bullshit will change my mind.

The Lurking Fear

>I would bet a lot of money you've read less than 5 of his stories.
Hahaha
I have the Barnes and Noble hardcover, I have read all his fiction and his essay when I was a teen. He has less than five stories that are worth the trouble, I'd put The Music of Erich Zann among them.
Unique ideas: very big eternal monsters from the sea. The king in yellow alone is bettter than all of lovecraft's fictions.

>i read the first 300 pages of SK's revival, he is a solid writer, the shining was good...however revival just lacked any exploration of theme for me. Its like a well directed movie but conveys no insight into life for the reader
You have to read the whole thing. It's bloated like most King novels, but trust me, the end is worth it. Genuinely disturbing.

>I have the Barnes and Noble hardcover, I have read all his fiction and his essay when I was a teen.
In that's true, you don't have any excuse for making such blatantly wrong generalizations. Either you're an immature prick or you have the memory of a gnat. Either way, you aren't the cultured intellectual that you think you are. You're just another shitposter.
>He has less than five stories that are worth the trouble, I'd put The Music of Erich Zann among them. Unique ideas: very big eternal monsters from the sea.
You know you just contradicted yourself, right? The Music of Erich Zann is proof that there's more to Lovecraft than "very big eternal monsters from the sea."

>Either way, you aren't the cultured intellectual that you think you are. You're just another shitposter.
Never claimed to be a "cultured intellectual".
The music of Erich Zann is an exception, it is a good story among a sea of horrible silly stories. The funny thing is that his most famous are among his worst. The mythos are laughable.
From your responses, it is very clear that I have read much more of his work and about him then you did.
I am done talking to you. Bye, silly goozer.

Bye, shitposter.

this is a nice edition, this plus the B&N English edition is all you need

fuck that cunt, he hated dogs

Tumblr your bait posts are really slipping.
Atleast attack him on his poor prose or "the unspeakable horror."
This is a board about literature, even if Lovecraft was an abominable being, his fear and hatred of otherness informed the horror in his work to a remsrkable degree and made something lasting and unique up until then.

3/10 gonna have to pass on saving your bait as pasta.

>Herbert West–Reanimator is also worth reading.

The pacing is all wrong though.
I don't think Lovecraft was used to multi-part magazine writing.

>Read his works in reverse-alphabetical order

who doesnt?

oh sorry i read this as 'nigs'

But he loved the superior pet.

For he knows he is the servant of god, daily and duly serving him.
For at the first sight of the Lord in the east he worships in his way.
For this is done by wreathing himself round seven times with elegant quickness...
For when his days work is done his work more properly begins.
For he keeps the worlds watch in the night against the adversary.
For he counteracts the powers of darkness by his electrical skin and glowing eyes.
For he counteracts the devil, who is death, by brisking about the life.
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him.
For he is of the tribe of the Tiger.
For he cherub cat is a term of the Angel Tiger.

Ah the true pet of autistic manchildren and spinsters.

I read the Cats of Ulthar and enjoyed it like most of his other stories but I don't consider it to be one of his best works.
Why is it so highly regarded?

Have you read that short story Borges wrote in the style of lovecraft? It didnt read like hated his stuff.

Yes, it is "there are things", this is the worst story by Borges. He even admits that on the preface or postface.
He didn't claim to hate Lovecraft, just said the obvious: that he is a bad writer and shouldn't be read.

I feel the same rage whenever something remotely dark is said to have lovecraftian influences. It's like an insult to human imagination.

>'not to be read'
>doesn't hate him
good stuff Veeky Forums

You are thinking of "Magnum Opus"

Music of Erich Zann was pretty good but didn't strike me as a masterpiece, currently reading Necronomicon and Erich Zann was in like the first 150 pages so that's kind of anti-climactic. Rats in the Walls is Nigger-man tier. The Color Out of Space I wouldn't argue with although I was hoping for something more than it was.

OP if you want a small dose just pick some of his 5-10 page stories to see if you like his style, then you might as well read At the Mountains of Madness if you want to sink your teeth into something since it's one of his longest stories, although it's still in the area of being a simple novella. I think Erich Zann is actually a good place to start to get a good feel for his writing honestly, it's only 7 pages.