Aristotle is more insightful than you may think

Aristotle is more insightful than you may think.
Give him a read, why don't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.protrepticus.info/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We have Aristotle's lecture notes not meant for the public.

We don't have even one of his actual published works. His notes are very rough and not to be read fast or even for most people interested in philosophy without a good background starting in the pre socratics onwards

I'm genuinely convinced that Aristotle was one of the greatest minds to ever exist on earth and I consider him to have completely eclipsed Plato.

When I go to bed every night I dream that the next day somebody discovers a copy of Aristotle’s dialogues and a finished version of Mozart’s requiem. Cicero commented on them saying that while Plato’s prose is silver, Aristotle’s is like a river of gold. It hurts so much not having a single snippet.

True, but we do in fact have substantial fragments of his dialogue Protreticus, meant for the public, which seems to contain some material that appears in the Nicomachean Ethics.

blog.protrepticus.info/

what more could he possibly tell me about my room

The room is actually an illusion projected onto the wall of a cave for starters

He had great ideas but good god was he a shit writer. He could have used a good editor

He is a punk bitch and I would go back in time and murder him if I were given just one opportunity to go back in time to do something. He ruined the last 2000 years of civilization. Fuck him. Fuck him hard.

>Plato
>Aristotle
>Good
Writing was a mistake.

You're literally just criticizing his back of the envelope notes for giving lectures. There's no completely intact copy of his actual works which survives. That he's as influential as he is in spite of the massive hamstring speaks volumes to the content and quality of his thought.

What are the prerequisites to reading Aristotle?

>Itz influential so itz good
Americans.

faith in rationalism

Nothing really, a lot of our source material for lesser philosophers is through him

this honestly. he basically came back from the dead and ruined the modern age

I read his Poetics and Ethics and didn't enjoy either.

whoa! so you're saying that you need to take your time and actually understand philosophy before you read a philosopher? that's new

A basic understanding of pre-socratic physical theories, a decent understanding of Platonic metaphysics, and a readiness to get fisted from page 1 by difficult ideas made difficult to approach by the fact that, as others said, the writings are mostly "notes."

His physical theories gave the West a rudimentary structure from which modern science was able to develop, and his ethics continue to shape modern private thought, public institutions, and governmental structures. He didn't ruin modernity; he is arguably more responsible for its creation than any single other person.

christ your life must be so sad

good post desu

Daily reminder that Aristotle is a hack and Zeno of Elea is yet to be disproved.

He is the reason god is dead. You will disagree. I don’t mind. He killed the true religion that Plato gave us by offering shitty early Christians something to oppose Platonism with. Sure, there were other systems of thought they could have latched onto if Aristotle were killed before that all of that slimy shit slipped from his lips, but no way of thinking gets us further from the truth than that of Aristotle. Fuck him. Fuck him hard.

>no way of thinking gets us further from the truth than that of Aristotle
lmao ok tough guy

>Aristotle
>difficult
Science is garbage by the way. His ethics are also garbage. Make a nice bleach cocktail.

Aristotle gay

Aristotle is way more difficult to approach than Plato (which isn't to say Plato is easier to understand). Keep being edgy, though. Makes you look cool.

Wrong and wrong. Stop praising simplistic drivel you pseudoautodidact.

Are you seriously suggesting that it's easier to start reading Categories than Euthyphro? Are you just being a contrarian faggot or have you just never read any of the stuff you're talking about?

HEy John Green, how's your wife's son

Both are garbage, you illiterate.
This is what happens when autodidacts try to engage with those with an actual education.

lol ok bud

Don't respond to me again sweetie, I don't engage with the mentally retarded. Sorry! You just don't wipe well enough!

he is utterly painful to read. Aristotle has all the panache and style of theresa may condemned to use only the 200 most common words and then edited by an anal grammatist who harbours complete contempt for the work.
Its a crying shame because he does have some insights and, regardless of your opinions of his writing, an impact on other figures.

Descartes - Kant - Hegel as a starting point is far better than the Greeks.

You're the only autodidact here you brainlet.

>But substantial fragments of it have been preserved in several works by Iamblichus of Chalcis, a third century A.D. neo-Pythagorean philosopher and educator

So this again, does not have anything to do with Aristotle's own writing. Just a scam project.

Sure are a lot of butthurt Platonists on this board.

No. It's just people with Sparknotes education. I bet NONE of the people you replied can post image of their bookshelf with a timestamp containing Aristotle's major books.

What, you think we have direct autographs of anything ancient?

Iamblichus's worth gets tested against how he quotes other texts that've come down to us, and he tends to quote 1) directly and very accurately, and 2) n the order a text is written making it easier to state quotations of a text around each other.

I bought it new. He’s an irredeemable cunt-sipper. No one who is actually cool (a 5th grade metric, but it is significant here) like(s/d) him because he is an insecure closeted deer-fucker with daddy issues because Plato hated his dumb ass. Every artist/cool person that has ever lived has taken Plato’s side over Aristotle. His side is only church-cucks and people who are so insecure that they need that dick-cock’s aimless pandering to make them feel superior to other people. Fuck him. Fuck him hard.

>2017

As someone who has not read any philosophy can someone Redpill me on Plato and Aristotle. Whats the difference and is one "better" than the other?

I’m not ready for 18. I just realized I labeled all my work stuff yesterday ‘17’ too... damn, thanks for reminding me

Stop Getting Your Philosophical opinions by asking people. Read the actual books and form your own opinions. Until that happens, you will be a fucking fraud and pseud.

Agreed, it's incredible how far Aristotle was able to go with such a short tradition of philosophy. His positions on a multitude of subjects are still basically the common-sense view for large numbers of people. You have to be a real retard to dislike Aristotle, I'm literally a gay Marxist and I think he is possibly the greatest mind in history.

Please explain how being a gay Marxist makes you a more reliable indicator than a straight capitalist. If you are identifying as the cool person/artist referred to above, realize that those two qualities actually push you closer to the insecure demographic that is Aristotle’s fan base

neither is good - they believed in god or some other metaphysical thing kinda like god so they are just dumb theists who think there is a flying spaghetti monster orbiting jupiter because 'you cant disprove it' and 'i have faith'.

I don't know what artist you are talking about, but I was just countering the seemingly common view around here that Aristotelians are all traditionalists, Thomists or something like that. It's perfectly possible to admire Aristotle's contribution to western thought and the way he anticipated so many modern debates. I would say that his ethical system is still the overall best, because it is intimately tied to social and political philosophy, while most big ethical systems of modernity basically attempted to present guidelines for isolated individuals which simply doesn't work. For Aristotle, being a virtuous person is tied to living in a well-ordered society with a good education, role models and upbringing, not following isolated commands or principles.

Whatever floats your boat. But a sound system of ethics, and other such fancies, are not what I come to philosophy for. Plato aims to offer his reader eternal life as a god-like being while Aristotle concerns himself with... I don’t even know what to call it.. I don’t know how people think the two subject-matters should fall under the same title of philosophy. It seems like Aristotle should, more appropriately, be labled ‘economics’ as the science of decision-making

I think its kind of sad that you find this funny

good post

Most people are better off reading 2ndary material like SEP or Companion Books which actually explain the ideas, system, methods.

>Give him a read, why don't you?
I can't read Ancient Greek.

I wasn’t trying to be funny. I am very serious. I honestly believe that he has done more damage to the well-being of mankind than hitler has done. And I’m not a poltard, I hate hitler too. I would pay a lot of money to be able to cut his cheeks off. All four of them

I'm personally waiting for someone to discover some of Monteverdi's lost operas. He wrote 10 operas of which only 3 survive + a single recitative from another.

Nope sweetie, I kill Platonists.
Said the shit-cake Wikipedia scholar. Sorry sweetie, some of us have actual material to work on rather than deal with your little autistic 'philosopher'.

>Shitposting in Veeky Forums and claiming to have actual material to work on
haha fucking /v/

>His physical theories gave the West a rudimentary structure from which modern science was able to develop
That's mostly Descartes and Bacon, desu.