Books with beatiful prose-poetry style. Like Blood Meridian or The Waves

Books with beatiful prose-poetry style. Like Blood Meridian or The Waves.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=X9dlhiOdCqUC&pg=PA1&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Interested. Do you recommend any of Woolf's other books? I have some probably unfounded about To the Lighthouse; I tried reading it in HS ages ago and found it dense and confusing, but I read The Waves a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
> other books like Waves
Try some Hesse? It makes me feel similar things, although his prose doesn't have that undercurrent of emotionally-charged intellect that runs through Woolf's.

Saul Bellow passim.

>Saul Bellow

fuck, showing my lack of braincells. I meant "probably unfounded inhibitions". Also, you might like Ishiguro; Remains of The Day is thematically similar to The Waves (especially in Bernard/co's thoughts on death) while being written a bit less experimentally.

please leave

is herzog any good? henderson the rain king? augie march? my dad has duplicate paperbacks of these lying around the house; if anons rec I'll steal a few when I go back and read em
ok buddy boy

>inb4 Culture of Critique poster

Shakespeare or go fuck your mother

Melville
Nabokov
Proust (Moncrief)

Henry Miller I hear

Anything by Saul Bellow is good. My personal favorite is Mr. Sammler's Planet.

>Books with beatiful prose-poetry style.

De Quincey's Confessions of an English Opium-Eater
Thomas Carlyle's French Revolution
Walter Pater

Arno Schmidt’s Scenes from the Life of a Faun if you can find a copy

What they are is beautifully written. I loved Henderson when I was a kid.

Borges, Pessoa, John Williams and the greatest: Shakespeare.

DeQuincey's beautiful throughout, but definitely an old world taste. I just re-read The English Mail Coach over x-mas break, perhaps my favorite by him. A Pater that few read but which I recommend is his Greek Studies. I like Carlyle's style in general, though feel it reads a little cartoonishly, especially in FR, SR, and most of the later essays. That's not necessarily a bad thing. SR's wonderful.

Miller's gritty, but this is fair enough. He never surpasses Tropic of Cancer, however, in the way meant here.

>Pessoa
never read pessoa. all he talks about is sleeping. don't

Trust me, what you want is "the Law of Enclosures" by Dale Peck. Sample it on goodreads to get a feel for it. He's even cited the Waves and Mccarthy as some of the few things he enjoys (he made a name for himself harshly criticizing writers).

bump

If the unironic antisemitism has gotten so bad here that we can’t appreciate the art of somebody
like Saul Bellows then fuck this page, it’s worthless

Thomas Wolfe

I like jews and hate Bellow

Tolkein

lol

The Opposing Shore by Gracq has amazing prose

Gay.

sample of the first pages

books.google.com/books?id=X9dlhiOdCqUC&pg=PA1&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

t. someone butthurt over never being awarded the Prix Goncourt

I just don't like terrible and gay books is all.