Economics question. Does cheap foreign labor drive down wages for everybody else, in a given economy?

Economics question. Does cheap foreign labor drive down wages for everybody else, in a given economy?

Other urls found in this thread:

marketplace.org/2014/05/20/business/ive-always-wondered/how-much-would-all-american-iphone-cost
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Internal or aboard?

Internal. And abroad, too, I guess, because foreign labor affects both the economy the laborer comes from and the economy he enters into. I'm more interested in internal consequences within the economy the foreign labor moves into.

Well it depends. Are the foreign labour substitutes for the domestic labour? It would probably drive down the wages for unskilled labour, if the foreign labour is willing to work for less and are able to substitute the domestic labour. However the more expensive labour (skilled workers, managers, leaders etc. people with an education) would not be affected much. Only if the affected domestic undskilled labour gets an education, and thereby raises the supply of more expensive labour

>Are the foreign labour substitutes for the domestic labour? It would probably drive down the wages for unskilled labour, if the foreign labour is willing to work for less and are able to substitute the domestic labour.
I'm specifically thinking about undocumented Mexican migrants working on American strawberry, etc. farms. Though you usually hear that Americans don't want those jobs, anyway, which means that produce prices fall as wages remain basically level. At least that's what I was told last night by one of my professors.

All other variables held equal, yes. The labour supply curve shifts right and the equilibrium price of work is pushed downward. However, this is a somewhat simple answer and this effect is likely to be short run

You pretty much answered your own question.
If no american is willing to accept the job and mexicans are, it wouldn't have an effect on the wages on anybody else than those who work there. If the illegal immigrants will work for less than those who already work there, then it would drive down the wages of those on the farms. The problem would arise if the mexicans take the work from someone else. It would force those people into other sectors or to accept a lower wage. This could theoretically spread through society, as those from the strawberryfarm may require a lower wage, and thereby forcing the wages down elsewere. This is however unlikely and the effect would be close to nothing.

If nobody wants to work there at all, the strawberryfarms would have to raise the wages to attract employees.

It drives down the effective wages of the labor it competes with but raises the effective wages of everyone else, because cheaper labor = cheaper goods

How does this affect the Revolution, comrades?

>the lowered price of goods balances out the lowered wage
That's a pretty damn big assumption you know.
I would really like to see a study on how lowered wages impact consumption.

Umm, i don't know, positively I guess? Are you implying i'm a communist or something?

>>the lowered price of goods balances out the lowered wage
>That's a pretty damn big assumption you know.
Yeah, this is where the ethical issues come in.

both wages and prices, yes.

>Does an increase in Supply deflate prices?

Yes.

Negatively. Lower wages translate to lower prices thanks to competition. Lower prices in turn translate for more consumption and thus business opportunities, which translates to new jobs in a virtuous circle of growth so long as resources last. Everybody wins.

>Lower prices in turn translate for more consumption
Considering you're also lowering wages, where are the money coming from?

>Lower prices in turn translate for more consumption and thus business opportunities

Not really though. C depends on Y, not P.

what the fuck? this is Donald trumps whole thing. How can you not know this?

1. Not every job can be outsourced effectively. Not all wages are driven down.
2. Not a zero sum, opportunity cost maximices benefits, outsourcing production jobs (making an iPhone) creates better jobs back in the US (Advertising, legal, accounting, sales).

Think about how much outsourcing drives the consumption of iPhones, they would simply be to expensive if they were made entirely in America.

marketplace.org/2014/05/20/business/ive-always-wondered/how-much-would-all-american-iphone-cost

Related to the previous response, income relative to price will grow for the population that was not negatively affected by the outsourcing (most of them), and then it would grow again by the new jobs generated as a result of the higher consumption.

There are various sides in the debate, you shill
t. /pol/

If the guys at the top get their wishes h1b visas will fucking murder the tech industry. Pajeet and Ping may not be the best but they do 100k jobs for 50 or less and he thankful plus you'll still have a handful of people to watch over and check them. If you are STEM and aren't trump you are really stupid

>100k jobs for 50 or less
>If you are STEM and aren't trump you are really stupid

Consider how drastic that would impact prices for tech related consumption. If you aren't STEM and for Trump you are really stupid.

lol wrong thread

>1. Not every job can be outsourced effectively. Not all wages are driven down.

It increases competition for the jobs that can't be outsourced, which raises hiring requirements and drives down wages

Lowering wages lowers the cost of business in that area, allowing for more companies to be profitable when they wouldn't otherwise.