I've never come across a well written novel. They all suffer from needless bloat and padding...

I've never come across a well written novel. They all suffer from needless bloat and padding, yet when a movie runs for over 2.5 hours faggots start bitching. Any novel could be cut down to 100 pages or less and not suffer at all, on the contrary, they'd be improved.

You could've done the same thing to your post.
Twitter got it right, 140 characters is the most anyone needs, on any platform, for whatever

I've never come across a well spoken conversation. They all suffer from needless bloat and padding, yet when an instagtam boomarang runs for over 2.5 seconds faggots start bitching. Any human interaction could be cut down to 100 words or less and not suffer at all, on the contrary, they'd be improved.

This but unironically.

t. brainlet

>TFW no one here can actually refute this.

I agree unironically

Is this what passes for bait on Veeky Forums these days?

It's not wholly wrong. Novels are bloated partly to keep the plebs out.

I kinda want to know the end of that .GIF!

T. ADHD

Go take pills faggo

Most novels are too long.
Elaboration: They could be shorter.

Joke aside, I agree. Many novels are far longer than their core points need. Modern novels are getting more efficient. A lot of the bloat in popular novels is literally just filler because the author is prioritizing the immersive experience of the novel (how many hours of it it has) over content.

The way readers and publishers judge books by their thickness, there's insentive for authors to fluff their work.

Reading a novel is a pleasure, not a communication technology. The act of reading itself, of hearing the author's thoughts, of experiencing their world is enjoyed, even when not in top form.

Henry James called the novel a loose and baggy monster. Henry James also wrote gigantic novels. That novels are bloated stories is neither a new idea nor a critique, it's the whole point. The short story is the mode for essayistic precision in fiction, but even then it bows to aesthetic pleasure, not efficiency of communication.

>Any novel could be cut down to 100 pages or less and not suffer at all
wrong. see: The Recognitions, not that you have the patience or intellect to get through it

Steven King has proven that length isn't terribly effective at keeping any type of reader out of your books.

People who like Eragon because they think it's well written have their own circles, we have ours, literary academics have theirs, real academics theirs, and we keep people out via their conform and viability in our circles (usually, also excluding woman as well as the uncultured for no reason)

Let's take 's post and assume that some books are designed for entertainment, some for communication technology, and many for both on a varying and complex spectrum. Let's see if we can count out all the reasons books need length that doesn't directly serve their message and their related ends.

1. Prolonging immersion (end: entertainment, among those who dig that)
2. Impressive word-count (end: reputation, among those who dig that)
3. The author is just old and/or British (end: none)
4. The author is trying to emulate older publications and/or the British elite of times past who inflated their language just to show how much education they could afford (end: masturbation)

what others are there?

I've never come across a well spoken word. They all suffer from needless phonemes and aspiration, yet when a thought loops around for more than 2.5 synapses faggots start bitching. Any word could be cut down to 100 facial expressions or less and not suffer at all, on the contrary, they'd be improved.

ok guys I think we can let the joke

I've never come across a well written letter. They all suffer from needless dashes and marks, yet when a pimple loops around to make a backwards letter "K" faggots start freaking out. Any alphabet could be reduced to binary based QR-like code and not suffer at all, on the contrary, we'd be able to scan them.

300 pages is the perfect length for a novel.

280 sucks

extension du domaine de la lutte

truth. anything over 350 is pushing it.

friends I think the ideal length depends on the purpose and subject of the novel let's not kid ourselves

most writers pre-20th century were paid by the word so they bloated everything out

>excluding women for no reason
true
>excluding the uncultured for no reason
there is a clear reason

t. Tao and Mira

>yet when a movie runs for over 2.5 hours faggots start bitching
Because you're generally supposed to watch a movie in one sitting, you mong. There are acclaimed TV shows that run for years and last dozens of hours.

that's exactly what Edgar Allan poe thought.

Pretty much. There's literally no reason why a work of fiction should be longer than 50 pages.
Short stories are superior to novels in every conceivable way.

This

This is what I've known for years!

Yeah that sentence of mine was poorly phrased. I agree with you.

While I don't hate the uncultured but it is only productive to tier conversationalists by their experience levels.

Building on this, it's not simply that they DON'T, but that many people CAN'T sit through a 3 hr movie. In my experience this is usually because the movie is bad or the people watching it too dumb to keep track of what's been happening.

I personally think books are the same. The ideal length depends on what the book is about, how well it's being written and read, and what audience they're being written for.

>needless bloat and padding
hmm

>excluding women
>excluding the uncultured
same thing desu

>work of art
>efficient

I hate this fucking race so much

If it's 100 pages or less it's called a novella or story. It's like saying you think cars should never have more than two wheels.

For fiction, I unironically agree.

The extra description and roundabout story telling adds to the suspense or the gravity of the climactic points

when you were young, when you first loved reading, longer books were better because they allowed you to get more thoroughly lost elsewhere

Learn how to read, you cunt and any cunt who agrees with this cunt.

>fiction
you're the dumbass for expecting it to be good

I've never come across a well written penis. They all suffer from needless length, girth, ass hairs and stretch marks, yet when a crypto jew around to make a circumcision scar, american history x man starts freaking out. Any penis could be reduced to a mediterranean statue and not suffer at all, on the contrary, would make opportune amateur rapists harder to catch by the village Vardariotai.

I've never come across a well fittin navel. They all suffer from needless bloat and padding, yet when a heffer runs for over 2.5 minutes planets start bitching. Any meal could be cut down to 100 calories or less and not suffer at all, on the contrary, they'd be improved.