You will never be as proficient in English as natives

>you will never be as proficient in English as natives

You're not exactly missing much, and you're certainly better at English than I would be at your language if I ever decided to learn it.

Americans suck at English though

>Native English speakers
>Actually proficient in English
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hehahahaha

No. Even college students can barely write a grammatically correct paragraph.

Meh its not impossible, Nabokov was more advanced than many native speakers

>I will never be proficient at English even though I am a native

You're probably better than me already senpai desu.

>you will never be as proficient in French as natives

Several natives have told me I have a surprisingly varied vocabulary on top off my mastery of the English language. Back when I was abroad I used to talk with strangers in bars where I would pretend to come from New Orleans and everyone believed me.
t. French

>when your more proficient in English than most of the population

all i want is to experience celine the same way i experience joyce

this
reading for a few years will make you more proficient in (written) English than most natives, including those with an education

>On top off

loooool

Fug
My phone is illiterate not me

Natives are actually terrible at English, they have this terrible drawl and are always drunk so they're slurring on top of that. Plus they have weird sounds that aren't words but get added to them/sentences anyways.
>Errrrrrr where are you goin', coushin?
>Yer auntie's such a squaw, cha-!

>and everyone believed me
They were just being polite because they thought you had Down syndrome.

Where the hell do you live?

Canada. I used to live in a small town that was kind of the center-point between four different reservations, so it got a lot of traffic from them (since the reservations are dumps). Every liquor store had a pawn shop beside it. This is not a joke.

>when you're more proficient in English than your native language
Playing video games all day and night when I was younger fucked me up pretty hard desu
Sometimes I forget certain words in my native tongue so I have to google translate the English words

It's not necessarily that they believed you, it's that to contend someone's supposed hometown despite the fact the person speaks with a french accent and yet claims to have been raised in the south would be considered something "off" a faux pas.

As long as you're not Russian or Japanese, you can still be reasonably good at it.

There's always Nabokov and Conrad
>inb4 someone brings up the faggoty assertion Nabokov was raised speaking English
Biographers have said this is a bullshit lie Nabokov exaggerated to dramatize his life (the pansy), also he still lived in Russia where people around him did not speak English, so his exposure to it was more artificial and literary than "native".

>Sometimes I forget certain words in my native tongue so I have to google translate the English words
I do this too, but mostly because English is richer than my native language.

Native English speakers not Native Americans

>tfw likely in the top 0,1% percentile of English speakers in savyness and I don't even speak natively
>all because of dogged autistic study and notes scribbled while reading

>when your more proficient
haha totally not

But he said natives, I'm just being PC :^)

But you can still score higher than them in the TOEFL and make them feel like shit.

>tfw 115/120 TOEFL score

Do you know over 30,000 words?

I'm not native but I can speak it better then most American

even french people do not master french. subjunctive is dying I cannot use it well myself.

what’s your native lenguage?

No wonder since it was his first language.
Conrad is a better example.

Yet you can't spell savviness.

Don't be sad, look at Nabokov, he fell in love with the language and it became his best mistress.

But then again he grew up trilingual.

Positively
u jelly anglo boi?

Probably not. Since it's the mode of language used to express wishes, desires, excuses, atemporal unreality.. Oh, I see. (You) meant the correct use of it, which is probably true. This is sad because in English it's a relatively easy mode. On the other hand some languages don't even possess a subjunctive mode, like Vietnamese. Carry on.

He deserves credit for writing in two languages, but he was educated in English as a child so he was a native speaker.

THIS. Don't know OP is talking about. I knew a number of Native people (in New Mexico, not Canada) and their English is very bad. They're all alcoholics as well, this is a sad fact.

Yeah well safe innit bruv.

I'd say I already am. This based on my speaking to natives, especially Americans.

I wouldn't say it's common though, first started to use it in writing at about 10 and started speaking it at about 12-13 and have used it regularly ever since.

(Swedish btw) Also I know five languages so I know the limits, I know what not being able to speak a language well means/looks like etc. It's basically easier than speaking Swedish for me at this point and like some posters above I've always (still now) had to translate English words to Swedish when writing essays and whatnot.

I already am more proficient than most natives.

I will however always lack the natural accent which comes with one's mother tongue.

I'd many say Scandis are essentially English native/bilinguals

don't hit me with this fucking feel. I read Fable for Another Time recently and more than any of his other novels, I could tell that I was missing a large part of the appeal by reading it in translation.

La vérité

I only know one language fuck you you giant brained dick

>native speakers
Does not include burgers. American English is quite sad

jesus you're a retard. proficiency isn't about adherence to the technicalities of a language, but rather being able to express yourself in the most precise way possible. That is to say, proficiency is best defined as the ability to transmit the information in your head to other heads, where the error between the idea in your head and the other heads is minimized.

tldr: you're most proficient when you're best understood

that's because a sizeable portion of our population speaks it as a second language. I love these people who mock the state of American education but are terrified to identify the low iq subhumans driving its decline

It sucks

>Also I know five languages
Let me guess - swedish, danish, norwegian, english, and japanese

The correct spelling is "s-a-v-v-y-n-e-s-s," I'm fairly certain.

It's the whitest americans who went abroad and created all the negative american stereotypes.

Mexicans don't have a reputation as being stupid outside America, whereas Americans do. I know you've gotten a long way blaming all your problems on them, but this is very authentically you.

>Mexicans don't have a rep
That's because poor Mexicans don't travel, you get the high tier Euro Mexs, if you get any at all. You did not address his point either. Although most Euro descent Americans have no mastery of the language either. I blame education, and degeneration of society.

Stupid head, read John Simon or Vladimir Nabokov. Both non-native, but excellent none the less.

>it's the whitest britbongs who went abroad and created all the negative britbong stereotypes

Honestly, spending some time on Veeky Forums will improve your English, at least your spelling.
I've very rarely seen any mistakes, even on the frogposter boards.

English is a degenerated pidgin language. It's not like you're missing much. You can easily read Shakespeare.

>ywn be able to appreciate Moby Dick, Paradise Lost or Blood Meridian as much as a native speaker

How the fuck do I cope with this? Should I even bother reading in English at all? I can read Vonnegut and DeLillo just fine, I managed finishing The Road and Child of God and enjoyed them even. I can't do Moby Dick though, even though it should be up my alley. It's just too verbose and archaically phrased to me. Same goes for Milton and most McCarthy.

Frustrating as fuck desu

Your English is already at the same level as a native speaker's English. Old and archaic language is hard for native speakers to understand as well.

>but are terrified to identify the low iq subhumans driving its decline
I am not terrified, don't worry. I meant the American English dialect, not ebonics.

Native English speakers, including myself, are a pack of retards. You're probably already above average based on your OP

This
If there is one thing I can thank Veeky Forums for, it would be the ability to freely write in English. I got a beautiful 100% mark on my final English exam and Dogg bless you all for that.
When it comes to speaking I tend to spill serious spaghetti sometimes, but I do that frequently in my native language too, so whatever.

That's really depressing desu

Liquor stores are depressing places to work at in general, but the pawn shops is extra sad.

But i am native russian. So, i can enjoy best literature

>finally start doing okay in japanese
>visit kansai
>can't understand their accent or verbiage for shit
and I'm back in the hole

>when burgers complain about the verbal reasoning and analytical writing sections of the GRE
Americans really shouldn't be considered native english speakers, huh.

Is there anything sexier than spanish or italian girls butchering the english language?

Most Americans are shit at English, you're probably better at English than a lot of them. I've been typing and reading so much English from using the internet at least 12 hours a day since I was a kid that I've basically completely forgotten how sentence structure works in my native language.

>I can enjoy a bottle of champagne in my ass*
Fixed.

I imagine if you started learning American English and then went to Ireland you might have some trouble too.

It's a sad thing almost but this place has not only increased my ability to understand English much butter and also compose sentences in a much more natural way, it also keeps giving me new information and interests up to this day.
I have learned drawing (or rather how to learn it, as it's a life long process like most things) I have gotten Veeky Forums and my knowledge of not only history but also movies and art in general has probably quadrupled since the last 4 years that I have been browsing this website.
It also gave me new fetishes which I am thankful for in a different way.

>Pic related: one of my drawings

Sorry for the faggy post

>much butter
Sorry, phone posting

Eusses-tu pris ne se serait-ce qu'une petite heure où tu l'eusses appris, le subjonctif te serait naturel, fiston. C'est un très beau mode, il capture bien l'esprit de notre langue.

Veeky Forums is like life itself: you hate it and you love it in equal measure.

Also, nice drawing. Reminds me of Leyendecker.

posh anglo or dutch women speaking french

>Drawing
Where do I start if I'm a complete noob?

tommy wiseau?

I'd wager your grasp of the English language is tighter than pic related. You can already view yourself as being more proficient than a certain percentage of native speakers. All you have to do is keep climbing.

Yeah, it's really quite amazing how we (anons) connect through not superficial characteristics but only through an osmosis like process where we share and obtain ideas, passions and interests. It's a giant Supra organism basically and we all enhance ourselves in some way over time.
Thank you user, these are Tatiana and Olga Romanov by the way.
Honestly just buy good paper, buy a good 2B pencil, a good rubber and then start copying from something like a comic book, identify big shapes and cross hatch when shading or showing off value in general. Then move on from 2D to 3D, begin with easy still life and always observe honestly and with an open mind. Be confident in your lines and if you made an error, correct it but don't worry about it too much. Be honest in self assessment and put in the time that is needed(2 hours per day in the beginning should be good)
Just my five cents.