So I have not read any fantasy novels

So I have not read any fantasy novels

Is this a good book to try one ?

I started reading it recently and did not like it very much. There is a sci-fi and fantasy thread on the board, they have a nice chart for starters. Check out the catalog!

thanks for response mate

I listened to the audiobook of that one at work. It was alright, but I haven't continued listening/reading the series since. I wasn't a big fan of the narrator, and I found most of the characters annoying I think.
If I read it as a teenager I think I would have liked it. The world is pretty interesting.

Has some cool moments. First few books are decent, then it goes downhill with 2000 pages of filler, then get's kindof awesome around the end.

Also, Robert Jordan can't write women for shit. Most of his female characters are fucking unbearable.

bool. of. the. new. sun.

I read it when I was in middle school. It is not very good. It is a warped reflection of the plot structure of the first two books of Lord of the Rings. Writing is drivel.

Patricians choice?

The Belgariad by David Eddings.

Belgariad is great to read as a child (it's still decent as an adult), Elenium is more adult/teen in style.

>I found most of the characters annoying I think.
>If I read it as a teenager I think I would have liked it. The world is pretty interesting.

I read it in high-school and loved it more than life. I wonder what I would think if I read it for a first time today.

tried it twice, couldnt finish it twice

>Most of his female characters are fucking unbearable.
Sounds like he knows how to write them well to me.

No. Robert Jordan is litterally the person responsible for running the fantasy genre. Instead Tolkien, Wolfe, or Le Guin. Hell, eve Martin and Rothfuss are leagues better then Jordan even if they are somewhat lacking.

The series as a whole is pretty good, just not this book

Wheel of Time is garbo

I'm kinda new to fantasy like OP, can you tell me what he did to the genre?

Jordan knows how to write female characters well. Unfortunately that doesn't make the book fun

I really liked this whole series, but I haven't read much other fantasy. Pretty long.

Read Malazan instead

He was the one who first confused bloated with epic. It seems everyone has been trying to copy him since.

Gormenghast is much better.

I'm legit surprised why something like Gormenghast isn't more popular than ASOIAF or The Wheel of Time, both series feel like they are trying to cash in on the 70s or 80s Tolkien craze whereas Gormenghast is really original and has prose that makes it feel more real rather than something diluted.

Read LOTR and/or the Hobbit. That's the entry point. Everything else in the genre is derivative of those.

Try Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

I don't read much fantasy but I picked R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before off the Veeky Forums hat and am enjoying it. It has a decent pace and is part of a trilogy rather then an endless sequence of filler.