Tfw furiously busy period here at the illustrious and globally renowned University of Oxford. Walking through

>tfw furiously busy period here at the illustrious and globally renowned University of Oxford. Walking through
>tfw waking early and sleeping only briefly in order to "cram" and get back into the swing of things post-Christmas break
>tfw passed my previously-hopefully-soon-to-be upper class, privately educated (~£36k fees a year minus additional minor costs) gf in the hallway outside my ancient room this afternoon
>she was on her way to the guy she's dating who lives down the hall
>tfw he's from a wealthy Jewish family and was also educated at a top private school
>tfw I didn't even look at her even though she said "Hey" quietly in an effort to make peace
>tfw felt like even more of an out-of-place working class pleb with a chip on his shoulder when I did that
>currently phoneposting from Waterstones on Broad Street but it's closing soon
>tfw my time here at the ancient and academically profound University of Oxford has been thoroughly disappointing thus far

Has anyone here ever felt intimidated and insecure in a high-brow, upper-class Elite environment?

Are there any good novels about this subject slash theme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DO7Ov9LQEPc?t=125
youtu.be/H3eL4J-o3Ws
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>currently phoneposting from Waterstones on Broad Street but it's closing soon
Describe the way you'd get to the toilets, starting from the stairs.

I was at Brasenose for undergrad but ended up going elsewhere for my masters for exactly that reason. Honestly I wish I could say it gets better OP, but I know for myself if I hadn't found friends who also went to state schools I would've dropped out. Never met so many pricks in such a concentrated space in my life.

The Great Gatsby, whilst both exactly what you're looking for, focuses on the disdainful attitude of old money towards those who worked their way in. Not Veeky Forums, but I'd also suggest watching the film 'The Riot Club'.

He's still posting the same LARPing bullshit

this photo was taken there, find the place and take a pic on your phone.

Jill by Philip Larkin

A smart working class autist is given the 1940s equivalent of a scholarship to go to Oxford where he simultaneously tries to hide his autism and his poverty from his rich Chad roommate.

>tfw no longer even feel like I have a right to be here considering how little I'm enjoying my time
>tfw still feels surreal to know for a fact that I am surrounded almost at all times by the sons and daughters of billionaires, millionaires, top lawyers and minor celebrities
>tfw have become "that guy" who enters lectures several minutes early, sits alone, and leaves alone
>tfw wandering around the streets by myself at night is the only thing that makes me feel somewhat glad to be here
>tfw have seriously considered dropping out and attending a Russell Group ("Shitbrick Unis" as someone here described them) uni so that I feel less dispirited
>tfw can't help myself thinking about this beautiful, genetically profound, Elite, top-of-the-range English Rose girl who no longer feels anything towards me
>tfw will return to my ancient, historical room soon which has been occupied by Great Minds of the past
>tfw will have to revise again as I've been doing all day with little success

Protip to any working class anons here is that you shouldn't think your profound indeed peerless intelligence will solve all your problems in life. Romantically and culturally I am in the deep end and I am barely keeping myself afloat. The fact that the love of my life is now dating this guy who I have to see and greet every day is killing me.

What the fuck that girl was on my masters course last year at York

watch that episode of homicide life on the street with frodo

Bullshit. Post proof.

tfw no oxford gf

>Genetically profound

this is why u should go to wadham, senpai

Im sure there are books were some working class man cucks the shit out of some faggy aristocrat.

What the fuck are you doing shitposting on 4change? You should be studying for your classes like a damn pajeet/chink to not disappoint your ancestors. Any moment spent here is a moment wasted.

Lady Chatterley's Lover is the first to come to mind

What the fuck I walked here about 30 minutes ago. OP post your college I wanna meet you.

I'm not posting someone's details, expressing my concern at a vile breach of someone's privacy.

>breach of privacy
youtu.be/DO7Ov9LQEPc?t=125

She was on question time a few years back m8

Is that you OP? God you're ugly as fuck.

>Bullshit. Post proof.

>I got an MA in poetry and poetics and now languish in obscurity (york)

I work in a lab at Harvard, and I've just deluded myself into believing myself smarter and superior to everyone else.

What do you mean by obscurity Do you at least have a job?

>tfw no average looking Shakespeare qt

She mentions work on her twitter but seems to spend most of her time doing crochet stuff.
She's surrounded by geek-chic so if there's a tabletop games shop in York she may either work there or be a semi regular.

It's all in your head OP. These top level unis/colleges are all about exceptionality. Yeah the rich kids have a leg up, but that just means that you will have to work harder. Don't be a defeatist because one girl doesn't like you back, all you can do is prove people wrong.

>It's all in your head OP. These top level unis/colleges are all about exceptionality. Yeah the rich kids have a leg up, but that just means that you will have to work harder. Don't be a defeatist because one girl doesn't like you back, all you can do is prove people wrong.
Although I go to an ivy in the US so the culture may be different.

I want to look after her so hard.

Find some sort of group on campus that you feel comfortable with, doesn't have to be Veeky Forums related. Get involved in club sports or something like that. be yourself, respect yourself even if you have to fake it. It's a big game and people will respect you if you play it. If you are too disgusted by the game aspect know that you will be in a weird limbo between where you don't play but also feel like an outsider, unless you have some exceptional talent.

working class people do go to oxbridge. look for grammar school people - they can usually fit in with both tiers.

She seems nice. I'm going to leave her alone now.

>You should be studying for your classes like a damn pajeet/chink to not disappoint your ancestors. Any moment spent here is a moment wasted.

I pity any workaholic that doesn't fully enjoy what they do.

I honestly pity the fuck out of them. They could be earning far more than me, but the act like automatons, and when they have children it's only to keep perpetuating the same cycle that beget them.

>tfw back in my dorm now where many Great Minds have slept in the past
>tfw wouldn't be surprised if my cute, sensitive pure English Rose Elite former-hopefully-soon-to-be upper class girlfriend is down the hall with her upper class Jewish boyfriend as I type this
>tfw sipping some hot chocolate at the moment but my wisdom teeth are coming through so it's not as pleasurable as it might be
>tfw feel exhausted but know I won't be able to sleep for several hours yet
>tfw might give my mum a ring in a bit to talk about potentially taking some time out of my studies to recover my mental health back home
>tfw not sure if the (illustrious, famous, top-tier, highly-selective) university (of Oxford) will even consider that without charging me more money
>tfw don't see any point carrying on here now that I've been dropped by a girl whose genetic and aesthetic disposition will never be surpassed by any future potential girlfriend

I have to study now but I'll keep my laptop open on my desk if anyone has any questions or uplifting comments.

>tfw don't see any point carrying on here now that I've been dropped by a girl

Uni is for study, brainlet. Chasing after dumb slags is alright but the pickings are better when they actually have a degree and are out of fucking uni my man. Chin up user.

What are you studying? What kind of job do you want once you graduate?

youtu.be/H3eL4J-o3Ws

OP play this loud enough so her and her bf can hear it.

yikes
YIKES
this whole thread has been hilarious

yikes
YIKES
the autism is out

i know, just read op's posts

You just don't understand. And I can't blame you don't study here. This girl embodied everything I have yearned for for so long, she was the IDEAL girl could have entered my life after so long spent alone. I could not have asked the universe to direct a superior girl to her into my life. And what did I do? Well I fucked it up didn't I. Every mean comment, every experience of being sidelined and overlooked, every subtly expressed mockery of my character, every moment I realized my family was poor, every one of my father's taunts and attacks, every one of my mother's threats, every summer spent in my room alone too broken to even leave the house due to my "anxiety" and paranoia, all of this plus a form of cowardice so shameful that I feel like ending my life at the thought of it, and I messed it up. And now she has moved on, and who am I to blame her really? That's just how life goes after all. Suck it up. Man up. Move on. Etc.

EngLit. What job do I want? Well none at all at the moment, but that being said I can't picture graduating as things stand. Realistically I would like to become an academic, although due to financial constraints I'll probably have to get an office job immediately and tie myself to some sort of career. The thing is, I grew up in what was essentially a broken home, my single mother never earning more than 20k per annum. Yet here at the illustrious and globally renowned University of Oxford I have become acquainted almost with individuals who would likely turn their nose up at the notion of earning fewer than £35,000 in their first job after graduating, and that wage would only be accepted very reluctantly by most people I've met here, who are admittedly the cream of the genetic crop.

They hold such a dominant position in our society that any sensible person should constantly feel such intimidation and insecurity. Places like oxbridge and the ivy league are fundamentally undemocratic and should be shut down by the state.

I can't. I'm listening and pretending to enjoy Brahms so my hallmates won't think I'm pondscum. I actually don't enjoy most classical music but it's all I listen to now in my vain efforts to be considered "one of the gang". I even put a £20 note in the cup of a violinist on the highstreet the other day but she just stopped playing and walked off with it (I think she was a gypsy). It was so embarrassing and people looked at me like I was some posh idiot.

Given the extent to which you're a fuckup, I guarantee you that an outsider's view of the girl who dropped you would be less than favourable. As you have said, you need to get over it - a man who needs to woman to "complete" him is a pathetic thing.

Academia is shit. You'll be grubbing around for the rest of your life, even if you do manage to become a professor at some half-baked university overseas. The only proper vent for ambition these days is business. It is literally your only chance at legitimately acquiring that status that you crave so much

Do you seriously think that any of your hallmates will think better of you if they know that you listen to Brahms? Can any of them even identify him? Or do you just have some weird Edwardian view of the upper class that has plagued you ever since you realised that you were poor?

>You just don't understand.
>etc etc
I do understand, user. Too well. That perfect girl exists only in your mind, and you've superimposed her over some moderately attractive young thing who has a lot of mistakes left to make. You're getting quite the education at the prestigious and ancient University (of Oxford).

It's not about completion. It's about experiencing that one thing pretty much almost every human being longs for at some point and which most could not live contently without at least having experienced at some point. I'm talking about love. I'm talking about seeing someone smile when they notice you're near. I'm talking about caring for someone when they're ill and encouraging them when they're disheartened. I'm talking about whispering to one another while wrapping your childrens' gifts on Christmas Eve. I'm talking about walking through the rain and smiling the entire time. I'm talking about telling each other things that nobody else would ever come close to knowing. I'm talking about a form of intimacy so intense that countless songs, books, poems, movies, television dramas and Veeky Forums posts have been written as testament to it. I'm talking about kissing softly with the lights out. I'm talking about touching hips while slowly washing and drying the dishes after your first meal in her flat. I'm talking about her telling you that your parents accept you and enjoyed your company. I'm talking about having a solid basis from which to widen your empathy towards other human beings who are not kin. I'm talking about the thing which arguably makes life worthwhile. Which tips the scales just about in favour of continuing to exist. I'm talking about love.

>wasting your best and formative years in the library

you've been lied to, user.

You're too much of a romantic. Even if that girl were to be with you 24/7, you'd get tired of her because she's never going to be that perfect statue you want so much.
You're placing way too much emphasis on status and wealth, when by themselves are not conducive to any form of fulfillment.

STOP PLACING SHIT ON PEDESTALS

I too remember being 16 user.

I will not criticise you if you want to live your life for love, nor can anyone fairly criticise someone for being down in the dumps because his gf left him. But be that as it may, you are a man. From the moment of your birth it was determined that you would do something. You have ambitions, half-formed no doubt, which if they are not advanced will leave you in the loveless marriage that is toil without reward.

If she left you, then resolve yourself to never take her back. There are others, and certainly better ones. It's true that you didn't reach her level because you yourself are tiny and mentally cramped. That doesn't mean that you should make yourself even smaller.

>he still believes in love
It's a nice dream user. But is entirely, entirely correct. I've had the love you speak of. It doesn't last. There is no girl in the world who can maintain the facade of moe qt forever. Romantic prospects are always, always revealed for the grasping, desperate needy _human_ creatures they are.

>Has anyone here ever felt intimidated and insecure in a high-brow, upper-class Elite environment?
no, because im not gay

>high-brow
>upper-class Elite

For some reason I've always found the two to be mutually exclusive. Most of the time the high-brow types are upper-middle-class professionals.

Every single person who lives on my hall were privately educated. When we talk as a group (or at least when I used to leave my room and talk to them) I could barely keep up with them as I simple didn't understand their reference points. I didn't know what a Finishing School was. I didn't know what a piste was. I wasn't familiar with the city of Florence or Prague. I felt like an utter buffoon, and perhaps I am. Thanks to their supreme upbringings they naturally acknowledged my relative shyness and attempted to "bring me out of my shell" (a phrase I heard them say one night while I lay on the ground with my ear close to the foot of the door) by asking me which football team I supported. What a demeaning question, and I didn't even know what to say. I don't watch football. I just "f-four four two" and they smiled like they would a child who had learned to articulate a simple sentence. Fortunately one girl, who I can only describe as a horse-toothed eccentric from the Cotswolds, appeared to take a liking to me (platonic) and urged me to tell her (and them) about my life "back home". Of course I couldn't think of anything suitably gritty and working class and basically admitted that I had spent most of my adolescence in my bedroom. One guy, who I don't think likes me or at least shows no interest in befriending me, simply says "how's the soccer!" every time we pass and I laugh as if I know what the bloody hell he's on about. I am pitied here and I simply don't fit.

I refute your assertion utterly and again realistically speaking girls like her, and indeed boys like the one she is dating, very rarely "marry down" or even "date down" in their so-called wilder years. I am genetic garbage. I am psychologically weak and broken. I am financially insecure. I am socially maladjusted. I feel like packing my things tonight and leaving my ancient and aesthetically unsurpassable college quad and simply working in a call centre or on some farm where I won't have to kid myself that I'm worthy of anything better.

>I am genetic garbage. I am psychologically weak and broken. I am financially insecure. I am socially maladjusted. I feel like packing my things tonight and leaving my ancient and aesthetically unsurpassable college quad and simply working in a call centre or on some farm where I won't have to kid myself that I'm worthy of anything better.
With that attitude, do it. Just do it, actually experience a couple of years in a call center. It'll do you well, you need to gain some perspective on life. No one in life got anywhere by placing a spotlight on how much of a failure they were. Do it.

I would feel bad for you if you hadn't spent all of your previous semester shitting all over anyone that doesn't go to Oxford when you were still happy and smug about being there, you twat.
I also can't quite pin down how many layers of irony you're operating on, to be honest.

>No one in life got anywhere by placing a spotlight on how much of a failure they were.

*blocks ur path*

>Brit on the left observed trying to look human

You should have known something about Florence and Prague if you're studying English Literature. I don't know what a piste is either, but at least I've heard of a Finishing school but maybe that's just me.

This is not good advice, but I had a friend who came from a small town in Greece whose parents scrimped and saved enough to send him to a good expensive private school in Athens. My friend is a bit of a reptile, so he immediately spent his savings on expensive clothes, changed his way of speaking and grooming, and insinuated himself into their group almost immediately.

Your eavesdropping, contemptible and worm-like though it is, reveals that they're probably more curious and confused about you than malicious. If you had approached them in a polite and open manner I'm sure they would have treated you warmly.

You have two problems. One is that you have no social skills because you spent your life a shutin. The other is that you have a severe inferiority complex because you grew up poor.

My advice is to try to talk to your hallmates about something mundane. Bitch about your classes together or something. Start from there, and if you find yourself seizing up try to make sure that the conversation is about you asking a few questions and them talking most of the time.

>reading Kafka provides as much information as spending a week at the Augustine

She's a might below average

Thank you for your considered, empathetic and encouraging post. If I stay here I will have to try harder to make friends and "fit in", though my hallmates of course include the guy my former-hopefully-soon-to-be privately educated, Elite gf is now dating and since he's chummy with them I don't really stand a chance of competing with him socially for their attention and so on. I mean first impressions matter a lot, and their first impression of me must have been terrible, not to mention the forty or so subsequent impressions which have been equally underwhelming.

Don't worry about those forty bad impressions. When I was a kid I went to a small school and was absolutely horrible to everyone for years. I started easing up as I got older, and actually ended up getting along with my classmates. There will probably be an iciness between you and them, but if you take the first step and not fuck it up things will usually work out. Don't worry about them being many times richer than you. Try to figure out what your upbringing gave you (it can't have been all bad if it got you into Oxford), and if they're curious express that aspect to them. Also, salacious stories of rough neighbourhoods, crime, and knife fights do have some appeal to the upper class who don't actually have to live in those shitholes.

fwiw Oxford user I enjoy your posts and think mods are cunts for deleting your threads. you're an entertaining fellow and I don't mean that sarcastically or ironically. that useless mean lunkhead who makes fun of you with "how's the soccer" will get what he deserves, trust. life sorts itself out.

this user knows what's up. play to your strengths OP. you're a sensitive soul and hopefully you can transmute your desperate need to please and to belong into a more compassionate, less demanding self.

you'll get it figured out my man. you've already done the difficult part of growing up hard. a lot of these soft cunts with two parents and no money problems ever can't imagine it. i'm cheering for you OP.

>life sorts itself out.

What a dumb, naive thing to say. OP is fucked. He should kill himself.

OP stop complaining and pull your socks up. Stop being so hard on yourself and you might feel better.

oxford is 59% state school kids this year how the fuck is it as bad as you're making out

It's a LARP thread, genius.

OP here clocking off before I go to bed. As I said my wisdom teeth are coming through and my jaw is swollen and aching, which isn't helping with my studies or anything else. Thank you for the kind and uplifting posts, which I have taken to heart and will attempt to use as a guide in the near future. For those of you who are in love with someone you cherish, respect and adore, please for my sake go up to them as soon as you can (now, if possible) and wrap your arms around them and give them a kiss. If they ask why simply say "because I love you" as if the answer was obvious. I unfortunately may never be in a situation where I can do such a thing. Although such a perspective may be alien to some of you, some of us, including myself, literally cannot imagine ever being so comfortable around a girl, and having a girl be as comfortable around them so as to allow such exchanges. The comedian Bill Hicks once said that it would take on special girl, or several mediocre ones, to help him get over the love of his life. While this may be true, there are barely any mediocre girls here were that even an option for me, such is the pedigree of students attending the ancient and illustrious University of Oxford. There are certainly no girls at the moment that might come close to kindling the feelings of desire, love, empathy, virtue and protectiveness that....I almost wrote her name. That she kindled within me. Goodnight Veeky Forums, and may your dreams be sweet. If there is a God, or if my subconscious be merciful, then perhaps this girl may enter my dreams tonight and may spend some time in my company before reality imposes itself again come dawn. I will check this thread tomorrow morning so do keep posting and I will reply should the thread still be alive then.

through all this you haven’t said a thing about her

Veeky Forums is a place where people can totally unburden themselves to complete strangers in safety.

But you're a fucking fag, OP, and unless there's a backbone of metal, however impure, buried somewhere in that plate of jelly you've been wobbling around all night you should go do a Werther.

that’s a vision, a fantasy. Love has much more than that, it’s never a picture to finish your life, it has to be a real person, it’s an act of will, not an act of passion

What are you on about? Shes all he talks about in these threasd.

but just the same I feel I know so little about the girl herself that I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a police lineup. And this isn't because he's trying to be anonymous. The guy is chasing a phantom, a vessel of light that only tenuously connects to the cosmos we actually live in. I know because I've been there myself. It's all a dream

>tfw none of that applies to you because you are a savage detective and live on the streets

user, you're on an American imageboard that was initially developed to post about Japanese cartoons. A more blatant monument to international postmodern globalism could scarcely be imagined. That being so, why are you so worried about these antiquated, provincial cares of class and status? I thought part of the inescapable pain and pleasure of modern life was knowing that the terraced garden of all caste systems had been completely destroyed beyond any possibility of repair?

I honestly believe that it's pretty clear that America has subdued the world by the power of its dreams and transformed everything into a giant, odorless shopping mall. Do you understand what I mean? When I go to the oxford website, I see the same sterile serif humanist font, I see the subdued colors that welcome everything... the student body looks like they come from all races, so why can't they come from all classes, too?

Furthermore: you spend some time around the decadent and wealthy, you'll find that nothing is more clear to them than the emptiness of their own useless lives, nothing is more exciting and mystifying to them than what Chesterton calls "the secret of the poor." You yourself, I'm sure, are perfectly aware that there is no secret, that the class divide is a circus mirror through which every observer sees not what really exists, but only what he wants to have exist...

>This girl embodied everything I have yearned for for so long, she was the IDEAL girl could have entered my life after so long spent alone. I could not have asked the universe to direct a superior girl to her into my life.
I know this feels SO REAL that you can’t imagine anything else being feasible, but it’s a classic trick of the mind. It’s like a schizophrenic delusion - it’s not my place to say you’re wrong and stupid because that’s just the reality you’re living in, it FEELS real, too real. But there’s millions and millions of people out there. Do you think it was just a huge statistical quirk that you happened to meet “the perfect girl” here and now? Notice how everyone seems to be meeting “the perfect girl” at their place of education when they’re really young? Could it perhaps be that they’re a little blinded?

kek

Interesting to see Oxfordanon take a dark turn, although it's less amusing. Also deeply weird to see most anons apparently not recognising the posts.

Also the moment you stop shaming yourself for your weaknesses like your anxiety (don’t use scare quotes) you will have opened yourself up to a lot of the improvement and capability for dignity and self-respect that you’re yearning for.

GOOD words, better than OP words, thank

>that useless mean lunkhead who makes fun of you with "how's the soccer" will get what he deserves, trust. life sorts itself out.
cruel moralist fantasy

Intoxicating sentiment... how many times have I made promises to God (going against his own commands, Matt. 5:33-37) that, were I ever to be blessed with a GF, I would not for a single instant cease to love her as far as the law itself permits?

You aren't alone in this feeling, OP, even among Oxford kids. On the foreveralone subreddit (more melancholy, less angry than r/incels), which I used to frequent, I once found someone who was trapped in a situation that was terribly similar to your own. He was studying English at Oxford, and he felt very alone... he expressed himself with effusive prose, the most glittering gorgeous stretch of which, nevertheless, was utterly incapable of rescuing him from his situation...

Rather than produce despair, I hope that the understanding that you're not alone will relieve you of a little piece of the monumental continent of suffering that you, at this moment, are struggling under... I have felt the same thing. I found it was best expressed (as far as something eternal can be put into finite words) by Borges, in his essay, "Beatrice's Last Smile."

That said, don't get attached to your own suffering. Excuse the poor translation:

"He gobbles up the leavings and crumbs that fall from his own table; in this way he is, of course, for a little while more thoroughly sated than all the rest, but he forgets how to eat from the table itself. In this way, however, there cease to be any crumbs and leavings."

Shut the fuck up, loser

I went to UVA here in America, I've felt somewhat the same as there's a major cultural divide between southern and northern Virginia. My girlfriend even went to a fancy academy here in the 757 where the students were the children of national and international politicians and elites, and they were mostly degenerate snobs who enjoyed the same debasement as any illiterate in my shit HS. But they get to travel the world and not have worries.

Anywho, here's a shitty poem that you inspired.

High class, high-brow
spin them upside-down
rub their head against the floor
until there remains nothing more
than a brown streak on the tile
from the shithead of this Private Pyle
full of pride, he boasts of wiles
but has no pain to tint his smiles

>tfw my New York neighbourhood was gentrified and my vegan girlfriend left me after I could no longer afford to shop at whole foods due to increase in rent, and am no longer contemporary
>tfw I dropped my USB stick of short stories into a river
>tfw I didn't make anything worthwhile during my 12 months in the Norwegian cabin
>tfw walking around London and feeling sad about Chad and Stacy I finally said fuck it, flirted with a woman who sat next to me on a bench, went on a date with her, finally realized the error of my /r9k/ ways and will no longer shitpost about it on Veeky Forums
>tfw I finally finished Nicholas Nickleby and have made peace with the media-academic-publishing industrial complex
>tfw I finally realized that shitpost-Pessoa is not a single person, but Veeky Forums collectively

I'm genuinely at Oxford if any of you people want to talk about that

you're so young >.>

bruv i can see your bar code

Are you the hacker known as Veeky Forums?

I... am... ANONYMOUS

Nice trips faggot.

level up'd

>putting pussy on a pedastal

Loser

he's trying to make small talk with user, autistic fucktard

>tfw I didn't make anything worthwhile during my 12 months in the Norwegian cabin

kek