I'm having a hard time writing well and being genuine in my college application...

I'm having a hard time writing well and being genuine in my college application. What does Veeky Forums advise in regards to college essays?

Other urls found in this thread:

college.usatoday.com/2017/04/04/this-teen-wrote-blacklivesmatter-over-and-over-on-his-stanford-application-and-got-in/
blogs.harvard.edu/sj/i-am-a-dynamic-figure/
twitter.com/justcarolina22/status/861989092623601664
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

black lives matter

Yeah that's what they want from most kids. I'm not interested in attending an institution that would admit me solely for that though

are you saying black lives don’t matter? Dont make me-

My friends who went to good colleges (Ivy League) back in the early 2010s were all terrible writers with ridiculously pretentious essays. Then again, they all applied to STEM subjects. Since they were smart they got in.

A lot of people - including the people who read those college essays - will tell you a whole bunch of shit that will contradict itself. If I were you I'd be largely straightforward and genuine, but add a dash here and there of stuff that you think they're looking for in terms of ideology or past experiences. That way the writing won't be too strained.

I advise not going to college

hello? can i get a response please? i swear to god I’ll-

study great essays

Yes, I'm actually sending an application to an Ivy. The essays I have are similar to the ones that you mentioned, however. I will take your advice to heart and create better essays.
Out of curiosity, what school did you attend?
What do you recommend instead?

I'm currently writing an essay for college, in which I quoted extensively academic papers that deplored the devaluation of patriarchy in mass media during the last decades. Am I fucked? I'm not even a traditionalist or a Petersonfag

uhh have you heard of jordan peterson?

Can you recommend me some?
What do you want to show through that essay?

it literally doesnt matter, i almost guarantee you they dont seriously factor those damn things in

just write some bullshit that gets you in, don't bother pretending

It's likely true that a portion of colleges don't consider the essay, but there are admissions officers who have talked about rejecting kids because of their essays. One specifically mentioned rejecting a kid who had a perfect transcript, ECs, etc because his essay only stated "I like math"

that's a good example of what they're looking for: any reason not to select an otherwise qualified candidate. just write the same tripe as everybody else--nobody in living memory has gotten into harvard because they wrote a good essay.

JFK would disagree

Write about how sports are very important to you, or that time your team won states. I bet they'll love that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER BLACK LIVES MATTER

Make a list of the books you read over the last few months and write about how the ideas link together and what you're learning in your spare time.
>You better have started with the Greeks faggot

> Tfw have an uninspiring essay that just connects the dot between my past experiences.

Should I end it ?

More feels
> tfw pajeet
> tfw spend entire life wanting to be in stem
> Develop autism levels of obsession towards math
> Tfw my dream of getting into academia and fixing what's broken in our education system is just a matter of writing an essay.

Essays for this feel?

I believe those essays are a way to show to the school how you would be an asset to their student body. Talking about yourself and being honest works well only to those ends.

college.usatoday.com/2017/04/04/this-teen-wrote-blacklivesmatter-over-and-over-on-his-stanford-application-and-got-in/

I wrote mine about my love of reading. I'll let you know how it goes, user.

>tfw the only books I've read in the past months are Prometheus Rising, The Bible, and the Evangelion manga
Where are you applying?

>Let me in losers. I wont ask again.

1: Introduce a struggle, interest, or experience
2. Describe the above, pulling in the reader
3. How has the above affected you?

Also make sure the first sentence, last sentence, and at least one other sentence in the essay are really good. The very first sentence sets the tone for the whole essay and the last sentence releases the reader and prompts him/her to think about it as a whole.

1. Lie
2. Lie
3. Lie

>bible
mfw

*tips*

Board is 18+, you schoolboy

be quiet, subordinate

I'm 19 lad, I'm doing community college > 4 year
Thanks for the advice, guys. It has been my goal to talk about experiences and interests in such a way that I'm able to demonstrate my qualities as a student. However, I feel this is a generic approach, and every year there are articles about kids who get in through unconventional essays. Here's a great example blogs.harvard.edu/sj/i-am-a-dynamic-figure/ and a more recent one twitter.com/justcarolina22/status/861989092623601664
How do you feel about these kinds of essays? Should I even worry about sounding unique?

You should try to be unique or at least uncommon. Admissions people have to read tons of essays of different people saying the exact same shit about sports or their dad or whatever.

Yeah, definitely. Someone else suggested that I write about books I read in the past few months. It could be the strangest essay that these colleges have ever received, but I would love to write that kind of essay. It would be one discussing Prometheus Rising, the Bible, and Evangelion, and I would connect all of them and talk about what I've learned from them. Too bizarre, or could it actually work?

Would anyone in this thread be able to recommend books on essays, or great essays? Anything to do with essays really. I'll be forever grateful for any replies that are helpful

I'm not too sure about that for two reasons. One, the subject matter may be off-putting in various ways, but that's just my guess. Second, an essay like that would only allow you to show off your intellectual prowess. Admissions people also want to know about things like your personality and what makes you tick.

I see you're applying to an Ivy. I got into a good liberal arts college. Anyways, I wrote about how I help my friends solve their problems by assisting them in clearly articulating the nature of the situation. I linked that with philosophy and psychotherapy and how problems are caused by unclear thinking, and I was even able to include a vignette about an emotional moment when I helped my friend have an epiphany. So I was able to show that I am intellectually curious, that I can think, and that I'm helpful and non-boring.

tldr: make sure you sound virtuous and smart or interesting and smart, not just smart

>What do you recommend instead?
Just go to college. It's exactly for the type of non-persons who have no ideas or agency of their own and need to be told what to do with their lives by others/

I applied to a very selective school, writing about a philosophical topic for one and a personal struggle for the other. One is complex and shows my curiosity and the other shows my maturity and positive outlook on my situation. I'm not a great writer, so I wrote simply, but the concepts I included might compensate. For the philosophical one, for example, I included a large paragraph containing a string of questions, bouncing off one another, with few statements in between. I want the reader to stop, or at least slow down, to contemplate the questions as they get more specific and more unique. Obviously you don't have to use that specific strategy but I would suggest figuring out what you want the reader to feel/think. I haven't been accepted, though, so I could be wrong. That's just my perspective

No, I'm not invested in going to college. It's expensive and I can't find any schools that I'm fully confident in, aside from deep springs, but deadline has passed. I'm unable to visit, so I'm just taking risks based off of the information I've foind online.
The reasons why I'm considering college is because I see it as an opportunity to live independently and meet peers. I've been secluded in my sprawling suburb and I am not aware of any opportunities to meet people or work. I used to have a job, but I had to bike 20 miles to get to and from there every day alongside attending community college (and I eventually gave it up because I got injured). I just feel that I've stagnated through a lack of experiences and that there's no faster way than through college to move out and start experiencing again.
I want to know whatever opportunities there are aside from college that could provide this for me. I don't believe in spending 200k on an education that you can teach yourself, but I'm desperate to get on with my life.
Thank you! I really appreciate your example as it gives me a direction for my essays. I'm also able to relate with your essay as we have similar ways of helping friends.
How's your experience at a liberal arts school?
Thanks, are you waiting to hear back if you've been admitted?

Donald Asher , graduate admissions essays.

If these kids are so smart and talented, why is their writing so terrible?

Because english teachers don't grade based on the quality of writing. They grade solely on whether or not the students were able to adhere to the essay format they're given

montaigne

if you write about evangelion i hope you get rejected. you only have two pages. if you write about a book, it should be about one everyone is familiar with, even if they haven't read it, like hamlet.

redpill: 99%+ of college students can't write. the same holds true for 95%+ of the world's leading professionals.

>two pages
More like a max of 650 words

DFW's got great essays

> Montaigne
Which translation should I look for?