Who is your father's favorite writer?

Who is your father's favorite writer?

I don't know if he'd say he has one, but his favourite book is The Call of the Wild.

I think it's Bécquer, though he likes Cervantes and Khalil Gibran a lot too.

Dumas, then Margret Mitchell or Robert Jordan (he read them in prison)

Victor Pelevin

hemmingway, but he only got half way through for whom bells toll

he only bothers interest in old american authors his college english professor mentioned. he is a dentist that stutters and acts cold towards people he is familiar with

Thoreau, but I introduced him to Melville and I expect that to change soon.

i don't think my dad ever read a book in his life
he just reads newspapers

He reads 10 steps to getting rich and karate for dummies books. Besides the newspaper. Not much of a reader but very supportive.

Probably some self-help money man, my dad is a part-time day trader who never actually trades, just plays the demo or looks at the live charts and complains all day when a speck of dust lands on his nose causing him to miss out on a "million dollar trade". He's a meme but I love him anyway.

van loon

bill bryson, among others i guess

Tom Clancy

Solzhenitsyn or Heinlein. He doesn't really read fiction though, mostly textbooks or self help.

Stephen King

I don’t know, a newspaper? He hates reading. Smart guy too, which makes no sense.

But hey, I can respect it. Why do something if you honestly don’t enjoy it?

Deepak Chopra. Funnily enough, I gave him an Auster a few years ago, and so far as I know, he hasn't so much as touched it.

Kafka and Dostoyevsky

Lee Child and Tom Clancy

john updike, he got drunk and cried on the living room floor for like a day when the guy died, classic dad haha

Marx.

Fuck your Father. He'd probably like it.

>Who is your father

He's an old school Trotskyist. Probably not.

Same, fucking boggles my mind how different children can turn out sometimes.

Probably Keroac or one of the other Beats. He reads a lot more non fiction than me or my mother.

Luo Guanzhong. He likes history more than fiction, but the Sanguo is really unique in more ways than one

>denial anger
>bargaining
>depression
>acceptance

I do not have an electra complex.

>pretending you're a woman on the internet
it's just kinda sad

My dad hasn't read a book since 1973.

My dad only reads biographies and the newspaper sadly... He even once told me that James Joyce is a bad writer. Only decent writer he likes is Tom Wolfe

Cormac McCarthy

Sure, reading is an entirely male hobby, no women ever read literature or want to talk about it.

This is a pretty tame board. No reason why I wouldn't go on it, as a girl.

Sure, bud. Whatever you say.

Let me guess, you'll now say "tits or GtFO" which I will not agree to, etc.

Nah. Enjoy the board. Hope you find your next favorite writer. Good luck.

not him, but why do you browse Veeky Forums

yay! welcome
grls are cute and nice i think
i don't know to well because they never talk to me

None.
>he died

Clearly you haven't talked to many of us, most girls aren't nice. Nor are most men mind, most people are pretty self absorbed and capable of being awful.

None.
>he's dead

Frost or Jack London. Dad read aloud London's "To Build A Fire" for Grandpa while he was dying, which makes sense to me.

I'd say he likes Hemingway too but I think the only book of his he likes is "The Old Man and the Sea".

>most girls aren't nice
oh...
yea i know their hands are soft and have slight shoulders but i think them pretty with colored dresses and flower crowns acting silly haha silly girls! i'd boop them on the nose and she'd startle but then i'd smile and they'd laugh! that's how think of girls smelling nice she braids her hair maybe bake some cookies and hey let's go buy clothes! you can try on dresses or little collared shirts and soft scarves, that'd be fun i think

That was very stream of consciousness of you.

I've come to hate women as of late.

Any reason why?

Probably none that are valid. I may have just had some bad experiences.

Need to vent or something?

How much time do you have?

Kekkek

So a play written by a male greek playwright for whom the women around him are so far removed from modern women there aren't accurate parallels is supposed to convince me of what? That men who don't really like women have always existed?

no

In case you didn't notice, I already said I'm disinclined to acquiesce such requests.

Alright, I was just offering in case you need someone to talk to.

I don't know exactly what you want me to say to that, since it's all just asserted with nothing to back it up. I mean, with the exception of physical strength, I have all the hallmarks of masculine success (a good job, my own car, house etc.), my own ambitions and being totally self sufficient emotionally and materially.

I don't want you to say anything.

I should be insulted, but really, it's Veeky Forums. What else can one expect except outright dislike/complete disrespect of women?

Don't be mean to girls!

I find all this so depressing, I mean these are the kind of men I would date, if I ever did (readers of classics) and they don't like women at all. If I don't become some kind of successful in life I'm definitely becoming one of those cat ladies who gets eaten by her pets.

that's one person don't be silly

Go meet a man and settle down.

If that's the expectation, I'll pass. I'd rather the cats. If I can, I'd like to create something great. I'd love to have been born a man, particularly at any time of artistic flourishing, but creativity seems somewhat dead now, so it's unlikely. Anything but being a pure servant.

Ray Bradbury or Tom Clancy.

I am not manipulative, childish, solipsistic etc. I am just a sad loner who likes to write things and make movies no one will ever see or read. I take care of myself, and I have no one around me to manipulate even if I wanted to.
I am not interested in being what that person wants women to be. I'd rather die.

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice, eschewing all male affection in favour of an austere, nun-like life. Then I come here and am reassured.

Don't let some /pol/ re posts disenfranchise you, besides we're all loners here anyway, it's why we read so much

Who're you talking to.

I'm already disenfranchised. This is just confirmation bias.

Everyone! Feel the effluence! One anonymous post and there it stands against all the negativity

Suit yourself, sweetheart.

Since when was a family not something great?

clive cussler

>Since when was a family not something great?
Not in the grand scheme. I would like to be a great writer or creator of some kind. Not likely, I know, most people never make it, and in the modern political climate things must be a certain way to succeed. But it's still what I want, rather than being a repressed, dominated housewife.

Why, in God's name, do you hear me telling you not to write or be interested in literature? Why, in God's name, do you think I think you should be some soulless automaton fembot? A housewife is an amazing woman. My mother was a housewife. She's brilliant. She was neither repressed, nor dominated, nor any word in between. You can still write and create something great while being a housewife.

Not "Great" in the capitalised, eternal contribution to the sum of human thought/creativity way. No hate on women who do want that, but I would feel I'd wasted my life if all I did was find some guy, and cook his meals for him for the rest of my life.

Are you not
Because that person thinks we're incapable of it and that we should be repressed and dominated. I don't hate housewives, but it's pretty hard work and there's very little time for writing etc. I also would like financial independence, since my grandmother was trapped in an abusive relationship via financial control (the choice between abusive man or destitution).

my father is a nigger, i doubt he's read a book in his life. i wouldn't know, since he's not around.

I am that person
>Because that person thinks we're incapable of it and that we should be repressed and dominated.
That's not what I or anything I post was saying at all. Don't be so dramatic.
>I don't hate housewives, but it's pretty hard work and there's very little time for writing etc.
Bullshit. No job, be it housewife, ceo, or janitor, or construction worker leaves very little time for writing.
>I also would like financial independence, since my grandmother was trapped in an abusive relationship via financial control (the choice between abusive man or destitution).
That's insane talk and cycle of abuse bullshit. The reason you can't find financial independence and your time to write from a man and the reason a man can't afford to pay for any of that for himself is because you're insisting on financial independence from an insane platform. Your grandmother was trapped in an abusive relationship so, therefore, you're going to give up much of life's experience because 1/4th of your family line had something tragic, i mean kinda sorta tragic because literally if you're older than 23 years old, everyone gets themselves into relationships they struggle to get out of because of finances, they had to deal with? Insanity. I mean honestly pretty much everyone I know in the history of the world forever has had to deal with that shit. Men and women.

>That's not what I or anything I post was saying at all. Don't be so dramatic.
Sure, those posts weren't saying women should be docile, controlled creatures at all. That we aren't ridiculous and childish and incapable of thought or creating anything meaningful.
>Bullshit. No job, be it housewife, ceo, or janitor, or construction worker leaves very little time for writing.
Weekends don't exist for housewives, but they do for people working part time or even regular 9-5 jobs. It's only when you have a family to worry about and support that you really don't have time (unless you're born rich and can afford servants).
>cycle of abuse
I'm not saying it'll be a cycle of abuse, I'm just saying that it was a good example of why it can be risky to have no financial stability. Sure, relationships can be tricky to get out of when finances are entwined, but it's not the same as having no work, being out of the job market for years and thus having no capacity to get work etc. You're using a false equivalency.

I didn't know there were so many girls here
Stay please!

Bill O Rielly, he's a dipshit

No, you're just being obtuse. I must go. Have fun being a girl on the internet.

Nope. I just read what you posted. Literally quoted it in part. Women are inferior, childlike and should be repressed. They can't create anything or be independent, or anything else. And somehow, this is still the better position, having a man who thinks that of you, who has no respect for you as a full human being.

Dude, you can't seriously say that those posts you put out weren't calling for women to be subservient, childish beings that are totally under the male thumb, and that that was where they should be etc.

>Bullshit. No job, be it housewife, ceo, or janitor, or construction worker leaves very little time for writing.

>It's another """"Women"""" shit up a thread episode

my father is a handyman that doesn't read
>electrician
>engineer
>carpenter
>home sewage treatment thingy installer/"plumber" (quit his 6-figures paper industry job to be more "physically active"; nobody buys newspapers anyway anymore).
>can fix any home related problem by himself

>be me
can't do shit

Probably Hitchens
:^(

>masculine society: will eventually lead itself into a terrible war and many people will die and live in wretched oppression. Continue ad infinitum.

>female society: passive agressive and furtive. Violence has become personal and has disappeared on large scale; material well being of the individual is the virtue this society. Female tendency to repress problems and feelings manifests itself culture wide: its members are self-hating and affect the appearance of insanity. Proclivity to mend wounds with material evolves into unbridled consumerism. Will continue to decay in a static hysteria until an alien, masculine society comes along to abrogate the feminine society.

I don't know. Maybe Murakami

Stephen king

I want to say Paramahansa Yogananda but I'm not 100%

J.D. Robb kek

Vonney Guts

Martin Lings because he is enchanted by perennialism and fetishizes the orient

Ayn Rand. People rarely believe this when I tell them, but my dad is a devout objectivist. He must have Atlas Shrugged memorized because he shits out quotes at you whenever you do something that is "weak" and "selfless."

>Walks all over my mom, once told me that he had "conquered" her as men are supposed to do
>Never received any gifts growing up, forbidden from giving gifts
>Campaigned for Gary Johnson and actually claimed he could win
>Got fined for littering after he threw like a thousand pieces of paper with "Who is john galt" on them all over at the community college

I hate my dad. I lost my first best friend when I was six because I wasn't allowed to bring him a fucking birthday present. Motherfucker took me to Kmart, let me buy a transformer, then told me it was for myself not my friend.