What authors/books have you read that feel effortless...

What authors/books have you read that feel effortless? Like you just roll through the pages and it seems like no time has passed once you're finished?

Pic related for me. Donleavy is probably my favorite author. I don't think he's particularly novel or even that "great" of a writer, but his stories are hilarious, read easily, and always leave me satisfied.

Faulkner; he engages me enough where I can finish one of his books pretty quick and not feel exhausted. Most books bore me, but not his, least what I've read thus far.

George MacDonald Fraser.
... not really sure how the zentai got into a search for old Harry P. ...

W. Somerset Maugham. Of Human Bondage is a stone cold masterpiece, but I've enjoyed all of his lesser work, which lives up to his estimate of himself in being "in the very first row of the second raters."

His work is always vividly written without being heavy, well-plotted, serious enough in its concerns, and often funny without being slapstick satiric like everyone is post-Amis.

He's also consistently and strikingly honest about things very few of his contemporaries were honest or knowledgeable about. This often makes him refreshing because his manner is so different from a contemporary author. His ability to write real sexual desire, particularly female sexual desire, without being explicit or crude about it is stand-out. He's also able to write ambition.

I also liked Donleavy quite a bit OP. His switching between I/Sebastian so fluidly was very impressive.

Donleavy's underrated here. There ought to be a monthly reminder to sue your publisher for their entire back catalogue.

Most of Calvino, but specially If On a Winter's Night a Traveller

is this book about having red hair? if so, need to read it. any other ginger lit?

flashman is fantastic

He DID kind of have a renaissance back in the '90's, however. Which means I'm probably cavorting with fellow oldfags here. Alas.

it's fine sensei we'll just meme the 12 year olds into it, you've read the ginger man, you know how this works.

John Fante, then. He was being read again at about the same time. Pick up one of his books and put it down again. Youre done. The opposite of Fred Exley (also being read then). But read him too.

Currently reading In Cold Blood. Surprised to find it an easy read.

Langston Hughes "I wonder as i wander"

Anna Karenina

This is true with most all of Tolstoy. Once into him, it's hard to stop.

Don Delillo. At least in Libra

There's a pub in Dublin named after that book, by Trinity College.

I drink there and my friend told me about this book beneath a lamplight.

I read Stoner almost in one sitting.

I've picked up Donleavy by chance at a second-hand bookshop, and now I always get his books if I see them. I agree with you, not a great writer, the language might be a bit convoluted, but it's really great fun. I recommend The Onion Eaters.

I worked at a restaurant in the states named after this book, never read it because I hated the job and the sight of the name displeases me. There’s a bunch of bars and restaurants named after this for some reason.

Pynchon.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon

His style of writing is purple as fuck, but so easy to picture it doesn't feel overused. His plots are twisty and turny and leave you wanting to know what happens.
And his characters have actual development all of which adds up to a satisfying read.

Shadow of the Wind is his best and I finished it in one sitting