Is there any good in Native American literature?

Is there any good in Native American literature?

I mean...is there anything? Anything at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_codices
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think they wove stories into beads?

There was one guy who was an intellectual, spoke multiple languages etc. In the late 19th early 20th century. He wrote political treatises and letters to Congress. Idk his name I forgot.

s
Sherman Alexie's short stories are pretty good.

This one's not bad.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for, OP. I read a lot of non-fiction about Native Americans or more specifically, their languages. I'm currently on Reading the Fire by Jarold Ramsey, which does several literary analysis on various Native American tales.

I second this.

Black Elk Speaks is very interesting. Be sure to get an annotated edition because the man transcribing it changed some crap, so it's important to get the real deal.

They don't have written language m8.
There's good literature *about* native americans though.

Most kuruminhas ITT.

Why is this image so bonerific for me? I generally hate irl ahegao

it's the emphasis of red contrasting with that shade of brown flesh, along with the illusion of prepubescence.

She doesn't look prepubescent sadly

well, it's the original meme that is of a little girl i think.

You could mistake her for prepubescent looking at that pic I guess. She's probably under 18 at least.

don't worry, AoC is 14 in BR

I don't even like lolicon but I like irl mulatas.

eh, who knows. kuruminha? i had never known where the meme had come from but she's definitely on the younger side in most images. the red and light shade of brown really does do it though.

She's from the Brazilian chan (which is now dead). It's a cosplay.

They uh, didn't really do that. They have some great stories though, or did.

This one, maybe?

>yfw Spaniard “”””Christians”””” destroyed pretty much all pre-conquistador Latin American Injun literature

>They don't have written language m8.
Brainlet.
One Indian made one from scratch.

yeah with eagle feathers and buffalo shit. who gives? it's not like that's enough to consider it a literary tradition. as itis, it has less merit than klingon

There are different tribes on Indians, keep that in mind, but here's a book that looks at Indian thought from a philosophical perspective:
- The Dance of Person and Please
There's one more I found that I could share if you are interested.

As suggests, they did. The Maya had a script that was evolving since the Olmec, lord knows how much literature and cultural treasure was destroyed thanks to both zealot Spanish Christians and time marching on.
There are also many native written languages like Cherokee and Inuit, albeit European influenced, so that statement just doesn't make sense.

Turbo-brainlet
Who is Sequoyah?

a tree.
who gives a shit anyway? not like wompum is a globally traded currency for fuck sake

The Popol Vuh
The Broken Spears
Fucking brainlet filled thread btw
>who gives a shit anyway
Probably OP
Mainly me

Yeah, what a shame we can't enjoy the sane arguments for child sacrifice and cannibalism. Maybe, just maybe, their subhuman culture is dead for a reason.

>what a shame we can't enjoy the sane arguments for child sacrifice and cannibalism
It is, considering this is probably all you really care to know about them. Not like you would actually bother reading anything even if the the script and works survived

dang man, chill. i'm sorry okay? native american culture is relevant, alright?

Squanto I think

You mean the guy who died in the 17th century?

looks filipino

t. jelly anglo who doesn’t know history

i hate that look

Argall and The Dying Grass by Vollmann

Why the fuck would you not just share it? Like you're waiting for OP to recognize you?

Yeah, check out Thomas King,

wtf i love flips now

came for this

Read Austrailia's biography
>tfw those nature loving noble savages burned down over half the continent

I've seen some books that's compiled Native American folk tales. Those might be worth your time.

Frithjof Schuon found some good in them.
May be worth seeking out if you enjoy metaphysics.

Natives spent too long trying not to fucking die so their literature's really only developed in the last like century

Zitkala-sa
>Veeky Forums in charge of being patrician

Homer didn't have a written language either, holy shit user.

Ive been trying to find this book.

James Welch is real good.

Winter in The Blood is my personal favorite of his.

t. Indian

N. Scott Momaday springs to mind

hunter gatherers don't write books OP

>De Landa wrote:
>>We found a large number of books in these characters and, as they contained nothing in which were not to be seen as superstition and lies of the devil, we burned them all, which they regretted to an amazing degree, and which caused them much affliction.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_codices

apparently the spanish took care of them books, was nothing saved from it?

>apparently the spanish took care of them books, was nothing saved from it?
Only three or so Maya codices exist today, the Dresden Codex being the most famous They're almost entirely indecipherable today though.
Also that's not a Mayan calendar, it's the Aztec sunstone.