Females of Veeky Forums: how well did my boy Jimmy Joyce capture the feminine thought process with Molly?

Females of Veeky Forums: how well did my boy Jimmy Joyce capture the feminine thought process with Molly?

fuck off
this isn't /r9k/
this a board about literature not what 'females' think of x

what a disgrace
A THREAD WAS ARCHIVED FOR THIS

he captured Molly's thought, not all women's.

this

Penelope is infuriating and if that's what women are like I'm better off remaining celibate.

who gives a shit what women think

He captured Molly's thoughts, which is a character he created. In my experience, I do not think as she does, but some women may. We're not a homogenous group.

forget molly,

refer to the first part of naussica

typical women, either don't read the thread or plagiarize from it.

You sure vote like it

Actually the objection that he captured Molly's thoughts but not all women's is reasonable, but if so then he dropped the ball in that last chapter, because in her husband he constructed an archetype of Modern Man that I think is relevant still.

Archetype=anti-type

OK whatever. All I'm saying is that, if you don't feel you share a certain essence with Bloom (Leopold), then I'm quite sure you're an insensitive brute. You don't need to bring your postmodern navel-gazing into this at any point.

Black women maybe. But I'm not black.

Bloom’s Day=Doomsday

ah black women, is there no lesser form of humanity?

i'll shade some essence with bloom, if you know what i mean.

>I'm not black
but you sure are a nigger
try reading what the thread is about before running your trap

To be honest, Molly is quite removed from me. I'm 18, I don't know what I'll be thinking when I'm older, my looks (such as they are) are fading, and I'm in a loveless marriage with a lover on the side. I've also never in my life been the kind of women men describe the way John Henry Menton does, so that is another point of difference. I do think that she seems to organise her life around men and sex, which I have never done, but which I think most men like to think we do, rather it's one part of my thought processes (although admittedly, it is one that manifests as I'm falling asleep, which is in keeping with her soliloquy) but certainly not the majority of what I think about or enjoy. Also, I really don't think about my period beyond being inconvenienced. That part is contrived.

>i have never organized my life around men and sex
>first fucking thing mentioned is her being in a loveless marriage and having an affair
fucking women.

I'm talking about Molly, and that is a major part of her monologue and her characterisation, have you read Ulysses?

so, you just can't communicate effectively. ok.

I'm stating differences between me and her that are the ones that are in the book. You just lack comprehension.

oh, you're right. my bad. i apologize.

Apology accepted. Does my answer to the thread help?

>>In my experience, I do not think as she does
someone please end me

Look man, it's 5am. I'm tired.

oh, i didn't make the thread. i'm the guy who said this, the rest of the time i was harassing any women who posted. an idle and harmless hobby of mine.

Fair enough. Do you think that answer would help the OP?

I don't think anyone's answer could help the OP, no matter how astute, the poor mook. 18 you say.
hm.

>18 you say.
>hm.
What is that supposed to mean?

what do you think it means? i'm curious. more curious than you are.

Either a) you're just trying to befuddle, b) you see 18, female and you're nose is up or c) you're just making idle chitchat.

Is English your first language? You're atrocious at organizing your thought coherently.

all good guesses, a and c are closest, but just from a habit of mine. really, i said it to engage you further, make you want to know what i meant, so i could continue this conversation out of some egotistic mindgame. i know where it leads from here, and i don't want to bother, such things are long past for me, but old habits die hard.

It's just late where I am and I'm jetlagged anyway, and exhausted. Apologies.

Alright, all the best.

and to you. god damn chat reflexes. they'll never die, good thing i'm not using a keyboard. i'd never sleep and many others wouldn't either. until i let them.

Except he didn't capture Molly's thoughts. Molly's speech is totally inconsistent with her character. According to the story, she grew up in Spain, but in her monologue, she talks like an Irish fish wife. Joyce borrowed too much from his own Nora without correcting for Molly's own character.

In the interest of citation (something Stephen - and most of you imitation-Stephens - doesn't care much about) this isn't my insight. This is from Antony Burgess, whose two books on Joyce are both phenomenal.

you really could have clarified that it's once clause all the way though 'when i'm older, my looks...', since (at least to me) it's more naturally parsed as 'when i'm older, [new clause] my looks...'. I'd have written 'when i'm older, and my looks...'