You were not taught Latin and Ancient Greek in elementary school

>you were not taught Latin and Ancient Greek in elementary school.

Why to continue this awful life?

Eh, learn them know I guess

Even if you were taught them then, you would not have been highly literate in those languages, for it would not be spoken or used to any degree of frequency. You would have learned the basics of the grammar and studied some basic vocabulary and worked through a sample text perhaps, but since you'd be a dumb little kid you wouldn't have really digested anything to a sophisticated degree.

The most important part of learning a language is memorizing vast tracts of vocabulary. An elementary school kid wouldn't have that. We're all in the same boat. At any time you can memorize the paradigms of Greek and Latin grammar, and, from there, just like a kid in elementary school, it is all looking up words you don't know and comprehending phrases, sentences, paragraphs, etc. The only advantage a kid has is that the vocabulary would stick easier, but since the aim is never to be conversationally fluent in Greek and Latin but to read Greek and Latin literature, that isn't a concern. All we need to know of those languages is just enough to read and comprehend ancient texts, which can be done at any time.

The question is, are you really motivated enough to do this?

>The question is, are you really motivated enough to do this?
>am I motivated to learn to read texts written 2 millennia ago in their original language
yes

Great, then pick up Wheelock's Latin like the rest of us had to do and get started. For Greek, determine if you're more interested in Christian studies or ancient Greek literature proper, as it's the difference between the simpler Koine and the more advanced Attic of Plato etc. There's plenty of self-teaching books you can buy on Amazon to help you. Like anything else, just be persistent and don't give up!

yeah, it's actually much easier to learn languages when you're an adult

This is so untrue I don't even know where to begin.

The fact of the matter is not learning these things in your formative years means your formation will never be as good as it could have been.

tfw you were

Who cares, whats gone is gone. You're not looking to become a professional tennis player

>tfw years of Latin classes in private school
I hated it

It's only untrue if you are speaking and hearing it all day everyday, which wouldn't be the case for Latin or Greek.

learn them now you fucking retard

fag

>mfw went to Liceo classico

*eats pizza*
*tips fedora*

Fuck you mom and dad!

Public schools are designed to make wage-slaves. Why would they teach your Latin and Ancient Greek?

The only people whose opinions matter as far as languages are concerned are those speaking it and those attempting to speak it.

You as a theory-spouting observer won't be able to communicate any appreciable differences between a native and non native--you won't hear what they hear. The non native may hear give aways in accent or diction (or, gasp, may not!) but by that point it doesn't even come close to mattering.

If you want to learn languages, anons, do so.

>tfw my father had to change schools in the last year of his high school because the rest of the class (his friends that he shilled to go to that class) failed Latin

Is he patrician?

Any recommendations on textbooks to learn attic from?

I don't know what the "standard" textbook is for that. Just look on Amazon, there's plenty.

i bought hansen & quinn + the middle liddell
i didn't start until 22, but I'm going out swinging.

It depends. If you've never done any Greek or Latin, I'd recommend Athenaze.

If you've done some Greek or Latin before, I'd take a look at Mastronarde.

(from the classics general thread)

Latin - Lingua Latin per se Illustrata, 1 and 2. You'll probably need a good practical grammar too, I recommend Collar and Daniels, free on Google.
Greek - Athenaze, I and 2

It's a scientifically proven fact you learn better and easier the younger you are and this is especially true for language because of the physiological development of the brain.

Being forced in elementary school would have ruined your current desire

What is your opinion on Learn to Read Latin - Keller & Russell?

Just go with wheelock it's the standard for a reason

is it advisable to learn both attic and koine greek? are they similar enough that learning them both is only a slight addition of time, or is it like learning a completely new language?
studying attic greek atm but wondering if i should go for koine too, or jump into latin after attic.

The only correct answer is the joint association textbook