Five-finger rule

>five-finger rule

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Reading-OED-One-Year-Pages/dp/0399533982
amazon.com/Meaning-Everything-Oxford-English-Dictionary/dp/019517500X/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=019517500X&pd_rd_r=NQ3XT4HMCACE95FJNCCF&pd_rd_w=uPUqr&pd_rd_wg=jiG8m&psc=1&refRID=NQ3XT4HMCACE95FJNCCF
amazon.com/This-Book-Gay-Juno-Dawson/dp/1492617830/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515543764&sr=1-4&keywords
vastabrupt.com/2018/01/07/cosmic-dyspepsia-pt1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some pretty damn good or at least alright books would fail the 5-finger test easily. This is obviously something for children, not for adults interested in literature.

The books don't fail the test; you do. If you constantly have difficulties with the language of a book, perhaps it is too soon for you to read it yet.

>count the number of words you do not know on that page
I wonder, what is the probability that opening a random page in any book will be certain that at least one word written there is unknown to you?. Especially when said book is written in your native language

Not if its using archaic or esoteric terminology and being introduced to these things is one of the main purposes of reading it

Books are the best way to learn words in the first place.

No user, you must read the dictionary cover to cover however many times necessary before you dare pick up a book with unfamiliar words

>open novel in second language to random page
>17 unknown words

How many fingers Veeky Forums?

None, there's words I never encountered before but their context within the text makes their meaning obvious

Didn't know soda was popular in Chesterton's day

If you don't push yourself, you'll never be able to read such difficult books. As says. For instance, reading some of Shakespeare's more difficult plays, like Troilus and Cressida, you might fail this because no one could be expected to know the archaic vocabulary Shakespeare uses, with many obscure (although beautiful) words that aren't in usage anymore. The only way to become habituated with a writer like Shakespeare is to keep reading him and preferably have some Shakespeare glossary at hand. There's also purposefully challenging but entertaining books written by authors with a huge vocabulary.

>Open book in second language
>I know what that word means, I just can't for the life of me name it in my first language

>dictionaries

>None, there's words I never encountered before but their context within the text makes their meaning obvious

>believe this is the case for me
>after talking with tutor turns out I was just making up my own story

>irrecusable
Looked this up before but wasn't 100% sure of the meaning

>mereological
looking this up now

>postlapsarian
Was just talking about Eden
post-Lapse
After the fall from Eden

Its easy shit to do

ok fair enough

that's not context though

In most cases I can even define what it means in English, I just can't give an exact translation.

>Expansive Vocabulary
>Limited Reading Comprehension

It is, you can't possibly believe context means limited to its own sentence

What should I read before the dictionary??

Yes because that's what it means

>"the parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning."

I taught this rule to my four year-old and he only reads the back of cereal boxes help

>"that immediately precede and follow a word or passage"
>or passage

Hint Hint

>open the dictionary
>at least five words I don't know on every single page
well shit. guess I'm a dum dum for life

your knowledge of the biblical connotations of the word "lapse" or the meaning of the prefix did not immediately precede or follow that passage.

A Clockwork Orange. Checkmate.

Obviously but that doesn't change the point which is I would have been unlikely to infer that meaning if I was presented the word on its own without the preceding passage

hmmm

Whoever made the graphic doesn't understand the gains that you get by playing someone who is way, way better than you.

You learn words from reading you dumb beaver.

Lol!

amazon.com/Reading-OED-One-Year-Pages/dp/0399533982

amazon.com/Meaning-Everything-Oxford-English-Dictionary/dp/019517500X/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=019517500X&pd_rd_r=NQ3XT4HMCACE95FJNCCF&pd_rd_w=uPUqr&pd_rd_wg=jiG8m&psc=1&refRID=NQ3XT4HMCACE95FJNCCF

amazon.com/This-Book-Gay-Juno-Dawson/dp/1492617830/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515543764&sr=1-4&keywords

ha

seven :(

>not knowing a word native to your own language
Why even bother learning how to read and speak if you're this retarded.

Zero, but I'm having trouble with the idea. What is the text?

>What is the text?

vastabrupt.com/2018/01/07/cosmic-dyspepsia-pt1/

This is pretty wild. Thanks

three

>postlapsarian
>mereological
That said, the actual point of the text was simple to grasp, and all this word salad can serve no purpose other than obfuscation of a weak thesis

>irrecusably
>metonymy
>mereological
>synecdochic
tbf Veeky Forums's built in spellchecker doesn't even recognize these either. Also this

>opens dictionary
fingers
>closes dictionary

start with the greeks

>Not picking the hardest books so you can learn the words.

How the fuck else are people supposed to expand their vocab?

>tfw all dictionaries are bad books