[David Foster Wallace] His irony was not mine—was too goyisher, to put it bluntly…

>[David Foster Wallace] His irony was not mine—was too goyisher, to put it bluntly…

Literally what did he mean by this

Other urls found in this thread:

extranewsfeed.com/to-our-fellow-jews-in-the-united-states-in-israel-and-around-the-world-ff421a1d325d
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>that face
wan puuuunchh

No anti-semitism please

Shouldn't it be goyish instead of goyisher?

It should but that would be too goyisher

Hey cool it kiddo, he's the author here not you,
What a goyishly thing to say

>goyisherly
ftfy

>goyisherical

No, because Yiddish syntax and spelling borrows from High German.

>DFW isn't jewi--

Cynthia Ozick wrote in 1970 that all celebrated Jewish writers (Roth, Bellow, Malamud) were "all accused of continuing to work in ‘exhausted forms".

Fast forward to today where pomo has taken over and all the big Jewish names are talentless hacks. What went wrong? How did we go from Roth to Cohen?

it means he was too milquetoast academic for Cohen.

This. You can just tell DFW is a super white guy... I don’t quite know how to explain it. He’s not a big city type. His exhaustive, exacting descriptions would suck the life out of any New Yorker.

You can tell he's a white guy from the East Coast because he names a main character Incandenza and has him go to a private school where he practices for a tennis tournament.

I don't think so. Look at his eyes. They're almost black as though he's part Italian or something.

That's just from staring into the void too long

i read "licorice" in this post but it wasn't there.

I fuckin spat out my drink you fuck.

They're all shitty kike writers, guy. Who the fuck thinks Roth is even halfway decent anyway?

>Who the fuck thinks Roth is even halfway decent anyway?
People with taste.

this, wrote a shitty alt-history just so he could wax about "muh anti-semitism"

The Plot Against America is his worst book you turbopleb

Get off this board, Roth was a typical jewish pervert who was promoted because he injected that tribal sickness into western culture.

Stop pretending like you're not crossboarder scum, anyone who's read Pynchon's Slow Learner knows that he explicilty names Philip Roth, Saul Bellow, and Herbert Gold as the direct precedents to his fiction.

Is this book any good? I have a copy and originally didn't want to sink that much time into bullshit.

It seems like it's good but then you finish it and realize it was all style and no substance

Oh well if a dude likes a book that changes everything

What dumbass 16 year old doesn't like the depraved jew writers being pushed on them by depraved jew publishers? Who do you think Pynchon got his twisted streak from other than the jews who were actively corrupting his culture?

He also reads books, which is something you've never done.

>anyone who's read Pynchon's Slow Learner knows that he explicilty names Philip Roth, Saul Bellow, and Herbert Gold as the direct precedents to his fiction.
Jesus effin christ. What a strange appeal to authority this is

Damn, you got me. Wonder where I got this Phil and Lit duel major from

>What dumbass 16 year old
You?

that doesn't in any way qualify you automatically to have a worthwhile opinion on anything.

>A qualification doesn't qualify you

What's your credentials champ?

Not claiming to have any. Also, you may be be confusing me with the other retard you have been in dialogue with for most of the thread. If you think that simply stating degrees you have earned (or are in the process of earning) gives you authority, you are a simpleton. You assert authority through persuasion and argument. State your case. As a philosophy major it is embarrassing you need to be told this.

Funny because he's the most "Goy" looking Jew I've ever seen.

So you mean you don't even have a degree and you're accusing others of not reading?

i cannot fucking believe he said this. my main criticism of cohen for a while has been that he's a writer who thought dfw's only mistake was not being jewish and now he goes and says it outright. my fucking god.

i hate this man so much. i do think that despite dfw's egregious faults, he had some talent and there are things that a writer can learn from him, but cohen seems to zero in on all his worst tendencies in his own work. he's got that same showman-like 'isn't it crazy that i'm writing like this now?' attitude, ambitions misplaced in trying to write 'important' books instead of good ones, an overly self-conscious use of puns and literary in-jokes to the point that his language lumbers under the weight of a thousand different interpretive models. dfw had some talents: an ear for dialogue as it is actually spoken in real life, a knack for creating disturbing situations, the occasional character who elicited some warmth in the reader.

there is nothing about cohen outside of the obligatory model of 'challenging writer' allotted to him in the outrageously middlebrow literary culture of the US today. for him, his interviews, the glowing reviews on the covers of his books, the carefully-lit portraits of him online comprise the entirety of his work. without these things, the aura of brilliance would collapse and his novels would appear as the overweening morass of mediocrity that they are. i think deep down he has some sense that he can only get away with it since literary culture has devolved to a point that readers have such little experience of good prose that they are wholly incapable of separating good and bad writing. deep down he knows this, which is why he has such a nasty, smug outlook.

cohen is no doubt important. he commands a large share of ink spilled on 'contemporary literature' and he is the most recognizable writer working in whatever passes for experimental or avant-garde nowadays. but this importance has never been more banal. dfw at least recognized this by worrying his whole life that he was a fraud. in many ways he was. but cohen lacks either the honesty or the ability to confront this, and i don't know which is worse.

>Phil and Lit duel major

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

/pol/ won't recover from this

Yeah but is the style juicy enough to justify it. How does it lack substance?

I'm in grad school studying CS now, what are you doing with your life?

>cohen is no doubt important. he commands a large share of ink spilled on 'contemporary literature' and he is the most recognizable writer working in whatever passes for experimental or avant-garde nowadays.

Did you have a stroke and confuse him with Tao Lin or something

Joshua Cohen is an autistic who can copy people's prose style but is incapable of understanding the concepts of plot or theme. The fact that he's famous is an accident even he can't explain

>goyesque

>duel major

cohen is more famous than tao lin, at least in "mainstream literature" (e.g. new yorker, new york literary circles, mfa syllabi, etc.)

tao has self-consciously been 'alternative' the whole time. he got pretty famous with taipai but he's on an irreversible slide into irrelevance that even he is aware of. if he were to publish another novel, it would be met with the snide 'oh he thinks people care' jabs from the trendy feminists that now dominate the 'alt' culture he was once central to. especially after the whole sexual misconduct allegations a year or two ago.

wow you are a fucking retard lol. How are you a philosophy major?

What you're saying amounts to one is a Chink and the other a Jew

confirmed autodidact genius, watch out lads

fucking retards on this board...please learn how to read

Good post

>the man who unironically claimed posturing is equivalent to authority continues to posture

studying dueling. we're on pistols at 30 paces atm.

>haha I can recognize a typo

>he didn't major in phil and lit dueling

>tfw goyim still think dfw wasnt a hack

keke

>muh field growth and lack of critical thinking

>please give me a (you)

This but unironically

>subtle, we are the publishers of Josh Cohn and if we put his name next to DFW of him criticizing maybe that will attract attention and intrigue thread

Got bills to pay my man. Planning to go for a Masters in philosophy when I get settled

pretty much everybody who reads? seriously where have you ever heard anybody claim Roth isn't at least 'decent? other than a board of 17 yr old holocaust deniers of course

We're split on the holocaust between the deniar camp and the pro camp

and united in the no nothing and proud of it camp

Roth is particularly repulsive and it stems from the uniquely neurotic mindset of Jewish people. Call it anti-semitism if you want, but you can see this same neuroticism and projection in people like Sigmund Freud, Woody Allen, Larry David, Seinfeld, etc.

You are anti-Semitic. There's quite an unprecedented number of neurotic White Christians as well.

. The difference is that neuroticism is the focal point for Jews.

Each religion has its own ethnic troubles and fascinations. Jews are perverted scam suberters and white Christians sometimes shoot up schools

All of us are free from the most tragic of camps,
THE DEATH CAMPS
This has been a PSA from the Holocaust Survivors Advocacy Society

Lmao he actually said this shit.

>Jews are perverted scam suberters and white Christians sometimes shoot up schools
can you put this into numbers

The Dylan Roofe : Weinstein ratio

superior Jew coming through

I thought Chabon was for lonely divorced women?

Superior at being a whiny bitch? Cause that's the only impression I got after reading his Trump essay or whatever it was.

Jesus, get off my fucking board, charlatan.

>duel

oh I am laffing

but German also uses "-er" suffix for comparative adjectives.

KEK

This isn't your safespace kike. I say this as a stemfag, so call me a crossboarder if you like. You already have the rest of the world, go ruin someplace else with your Chthonic worldview and unrivaled ability to turn the sacred into the profane.

Roth is about as close to the apex of contemporary Veeky Forums as you can get. Like shit, the bloomiester himself named Roth high as you can get. And while Veeky Forums might not like him as much as say McCarthy or Pynchon from that famous line, he still is a damn solid writer. You are the sickness.

Literally who

>reads Weininger once

Nope.

>bloomiester himself named Roth high as you can get
A jew promotes a fellow jew to great status and you repeat it not having yet cultivated strong opinions of your own. That's the problem.

Maybe if the goyim had anything to offer we wouldn't have to refer to bloom, hmm? If you can't see bloom as the /pol/tards savior too than you're beyond hopeless.

Bloom is a gatekeeping jew who was promoted to give jews control over our culture, but jews have no business in these positions in the west.

If you don't worship him, or more importantly understand why he's worshiped here. Or why as a western culture chauvinist why he is your best bet, you need to get the fuck off my board and back to pol

>STEMnigger
>cares about the sacred

Only jews on here worship him but jews have no business in white literature and shouldn't be gatekeepers of a culture they don't belong to.

>white literature
user, I...

>AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR FELLOW JEWS

>We know that, up to now, some of you have made an effort to reserve judgment on the question of whether or not President Donald Trump is an anti-Semite, and to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some of you voted for him last November. Some of you have found employment in his service, or have yourself with him in private business deals, or in diplomatic ties.

>You have counted carefully as each appointment to his administration of a white supremacist, anti-Semite, neo-Nazi or crypto-fascist appeared to be counterbalanced by the appointment of a fellow Jew, and reassured yourself that the most troubling of those hires would be cumulatively outweighed by the presence, in his own family and circle of closest advisors, of a Jewish son-in-law and daughter.

extranewsfeed.com/to-our-fellow-jews-in-the-united-states-in-israel-and-around-the-world-ff421a1d325d

kek

dam

that pink chest hair vneck. a more faggoty getup could scarcely be imagined. twink city, especially with the lil pout

Did this goober get the memo Bannon was fired

>that he's a writer who thought dfw's only mistake was not being jewish
what does that even mean? and theres like a 50% chance joshy boy wrote this

>western culture
>literally founded by the greeks and the jews
>white

go back to where you belong. Nothingness.

Jews are parasitic vagabonds whose influence on the west has been entirely negative. Kys now, vaginastein.

Dude pipe down

>we wuz western culture n shit