Hey Veeky Forums, I need some advice...

Hey Veeky Forums, I need some advice. The shortest version of this long story - I'm going to a school where there is no set curriculum, and so am going to take a graduate-level course on the poetry of Ezra Pound, a lot of which I've read. The teacher of the class has approved me for the course, but my advisor is naysaying and getting my old spirits down. Look what he wrote -
I don't think he appreciates autodidacts, and I'm not such a Pound fan that I'd do all of what he suggests, but my god one class can't be so overwhelming.

Sorry to dump all this shit on you. Thanks.

Your advisor thinks you're a brainlet lol

you just want to tell people you're in a masters level course kys

he does...it feels horrible

thats really not why i swear

Go to class and fucking prove him wrong.

amendment - this is only part of the reason

the other part is that quality of education in the undergrad humanities is awful - i want to see what's ahead

Am I the only who finds the idea of a graduate level course on Ezra Pound's poetry hilarious? Like, it's fucking poetry. A poetry of one single person. How can there be a fucking entire course built around that unless it's just a ploy by a bunch of pseudo-intellectual professors to create a bunch of smoke and mirrors and fancy sounding theories in order to justify their own employment.

>unless
that's literally what it is

To add. I would really like to meet a person who teaches such a course. I couldn't help but wonder whether he/she knows she's pulling one on unsuspecting audiences. Like do you have to pinch yourself constantly to believe normies are actually paying you for this shit right here? Or do you self-delude to the point that you yourself start believing in it?

>Am I the only who finds the idea of a graduate level course on Ezra Pound's poetry hilarious?
Yes

>graduate level course on Ezra Pound's poetry hilarious?
Hilarious but also great!

then a) why did you take humanities it's fucking useless
and b) why would you ruin your GPA and waste your money

Colleges are not necessarily pragmatic - if taking this course is not marketable it is not for that reason less valuable. "It's fucking poetry"...read Philip Sidney's Defense of Poesy you roob

Plebimus maximum here.

You both seem to imply that the best thing to study in college is what's marketable. Utlity is a fine spook.

As William James said in a letter to H.G. Wells
"The moral flabbiness born of the exclusive worship of the bitch-goddess SUCCESS. That — with the squalid cash interpretation put on the word success — is our national disease."

There is a lot of theory and generic concepts you will not understand, but you can try.

I think I will, I've studied on my own pretty seriously

nice

Why are you shit posting? Your councilor admits plainly: there is no reason you can't take that course and you can sign up for it. It seems you have reached your final goal and you should be happy.

Thanks

I think Pound was a significant enough poet to warrant this (knew how many languages? had mastered how many canons? guy's legendary). It's unconnected to the money supply, one of the few things left in western culture that's supposed to be, anyway.

agreed, just go for it man

I don't know why this guy is biting his fingernails. Like I appreciate his concern but the solution isn't to say "YOU'RE GOING TO FAIL, I DON'T BELIEVE IN YOU!!!" what a faggot.

try it out and if you fail, it doesn't even matter... God what a shitty counsellor. Just sign up and enjoy it...

Spooks are spooky

It is for that reason less valuable. Post secondary education is an investment, wasting an investment on something that will not have a high chance of making you money, is useless. Indeed, better to go to trade school for plumbing or HVAC.

You should send your adviser a copy of Ezra Pound's transcript

>Why would anybody base anything they do in their entire life on anything other than maximizing profit?
I hate people like you so goddamn much

It's not just about reading the poetry of Ezra Pound. You will also have to know something about the scholarship, so you will have to be familiar with the current trend of Pound criticism (I'm talking journal articles and that sort of thing), which graduate students will be used to. I'm not saying that you can't do it, and I know that a sufficiently intelligent person can quickly get himself up to speed. Just don't assume that it'll be quite the same as an undergraduate class.

user, I was so dyslexic as a kid I couldn't read or write properly until I was about 8 or 9.

I remember some bitch at my school told me I'd never make "mainstream education". I finished school with perfect grades in English and Philosophy and walked into a Oxford interview fucked up on booze and valium.

Don't let people define you.

>I finished school with perfect grades in English and Philosophy and walked into a Oxford interview fucked up on booze and valium.
>Don't let people define you.
Whoa...Ipsniring

I didn't get into Oxford by the way.