What does Veeky Forums think of Lord of the Rings? I like the films. What can I do to prepare myself. Also...

What does Veeky Forums think of Lord of the Rings? I like the films. What can I do to prepare myself. Also, should I read the hobbit before or after?

>I like the films
Stopped reading

I like the

Stopped reading

Learn when to use past tense for verbs, retard.

So it's that drastically different?

Before, and if you plan to go deeper into his legendarium (beyond the adventures of the hobbits), then read the silmarillion, the children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales, (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil), letters of Tolkien and The History of Middle Earth. Also, once you get through the long descriptions in the part where Frodo walks towards Rivendell, it'll get less 'boring'.

You mean as in "get fucked faggot" simple fucking typo, imbecile.

Yes, the films are a raped version of the story. It's not per se that the films are of bad production quality, it's just a shame that they did this to Tolkien especially. It's like what burnished copper is to real gold.

It's comfy

The present tense is perfectly fine because he currently likes the films.

Read The Hobbit first and then LOTR. After that, if you really liked the universe, world-building etc... you should read The Silmarillion. And if you want MORE, Unfinished Tales.
But for the love of god, don't watch the adaption of the Hobbit.

I haven't even read the books but I dislike the film intensely. Watch some good cinema

The entire scene with the army of the dead on the ships literally did not happen the way it's depicted in the movie, and they were in no way responsible for the victory at Minas Tirith as depicted. It's probably the biggest fuck you Peter Jackson can possibly do.

But I don't blame him. This kind of thing was not meant to be made into a movie. There is too much detail, way too much worldbuilding.

For the same reason I wouldn't want Dune to be made into a movie. Part of the experience of reading these books is reading the history the author's have created about the world. There's no point in watching that kind of stuff.

I take slight offense to this statement but it's cool you don't really know me. But just a little hint my film for 2017 was 2049. I know my Kino.

Read the hobbit first. Forget about the silmarillon and others you can read them after LOTR if you really feel like it but they are not necessary.
I’m currently rereading LOTR for the 3rd time, but for the first time in 15 years. After 200 pages I’m a little disappointed, I think I liked it better when I was a teenager. I’m not quite seeing the literary value yet, sure it’s better than Harry Potter but not by a significant margin.

I recently read the LOTR cover to cover and I really don't understand the hype. Tolkien has this reputation as a god-tier world builder but the amount of purple prose and mind-numbing detail just made Middle Earth feel more like a museum exhibit than a living breathing world.

Try The Worm Ouroboros by E R Eddison, maybe?

>Tolkien
>purple prose
I bet your lips move while you typed your post.

you can read lotr first if you want and go back and read the hobbit later. its pretty good all around except for the parts with tom bombadil, who slows the book down to a grinding halt.

before

whats the worm ouroboros about?

Brainlet pseud

off yourself

I've read the novel too many times...perhaps 5 times?
I liked it too much to ever watch the movie.

In fact I deeply despise the movie.

I particularly hate the fact that they removed the penultimate chapter "The Scouring Of The Shire", which is an excellent description of a revolt against a communist takeover.

This editing was a nefarious act of jew treachery and deceit.

Are you reading a book on your phone?

The films are garbage for Tolkien. Well acted and the music was good but not very Tolkien at all. The peace shaming was really disappointing, but in order to sell anything to dimwitted Americans there has to be tons of bravado and violence.

>What can I do to prepare myself

I see this shit all the time on Veeky Forums, why are guys so afraid to start and think for yourself. You are always prepared.

Yes and no. I have paperbacks but my Hobbits (both copies) are the revised edition. I'm a bit of a purist so I I'm reading the full version between my phone and kindle.

Actually I find entertainment in reading the opinions of others. Hence why I come to Veeky Forums. Thank you for your input.

Really hope this doesn't happen to me. I'm 26 and hopefully I can still be engulfed in that teenage adventures and rebellious feeling. Though Harry Potter was my escape in my teens. I outgrew them though. It doesn't capture me like it did when I was a teenager.

>he comes to Veeky Forums for discussion
admirable

>no Children of Hurin

Also, despite being a CGI shitshow, the third film at least depicted the BotFA more heroically than the two pages it got in the book.

The films sucked. That being said, The Hobbit comes first, then the trilogy. Then all the rest. Just the way I read them. Did I mention that the films sucked?