Veeky Forumss version of 'Kino' and what has changed over the past few years

Hi guys. I haven't been of Veeky Forums since pic related. I've just seen that /tv/ have a new word, 'Kino,' to describe a film of high aesthetic quality. Just wondering if you guys have come up with a similar word to describe literature? Or maybe you describe books as being 'Kino' too?

Also, how is the tone and collective views of this board now? I know you all have individual views, but where does the board stand politically and philosophically from a collective perspective?

I left about four years ago, after the book club, where a book would be voted upon, stickied and the whole board read and discussed it. We had The Sorrows of Young Werther, the Epic of Gilgamesh and a few others.

Theologically, you had entered a Christian phase with a strong dose of buddhism, maybe 30% buddhist and 70% Christian, having remained atheist until the death of Hitchens. You described things you didn't like as either reddit, /pol/ or fedora.

Politically, you were left of center, and communism was the prevailing ideology. A lot of you were heavily into Marxist theory and dialectics. Occasionally capitalists or libertarian views were discussed, but generally anyone like Friedman or Hayek were ridiculed, and Ayn Rand was the anti-Christ.

Philosophically, Zizek and Stirner were the two meme philosopher mascots. Stirner threads were 10+ a day. You frequently debated objectivity vs subjectivity, determinism vs free will, analytic vs continental. Hegel, Kant and Derrida were the most popular philosophers, Wittgenstein was the most hated. You had an obsession with postmodernism. With literature, DFW and Pynchon were the writers on a pedestal (along with the modernist Joyce) and hailed as the postmodern kings. Joyce, Pynchon and DFW were the untouchable trinity. And Tao Lin was like the board's pet writer.

In philosophy, there was a consensus that reality could only be 'described' using linguistic frameworks, and their value was given a probability using bayesianism, but no linguistic framework was ever true, so all we have are intersubjective descriptions of empirical events. This created the postmodern worship and a powerful anti-scientism feeling. Psychology was also despised. Anything leaning towards neuroscience had a Sam Harris scientism element and was ridiculed for being analytical, and psychoanalysis had a Deepak Chopra element and was treated even worse for being mumbo-jumbo pseudoscience.

Feminism and the SJW's from Tumblr were the board's arch-nemesis and when there were more than two threads about feminism, tumblr and reddit or trolling /pol/ were often accused of raiding.

I know the SJW movement is much worse on collage campuses to date, so I expect your stance on that has has hardened even more. I'm guessing you're still predominantly Christian as atheism has gained even more momentum in the masses. Where does the board stand politically and philosophically? What has changed and what big events have I missed?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S2765550
youtube.com/watch?v=fQHto60cDFA&t=294s
youtu.be/RZLGqHyeX-s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

everything is dogmatic shit now. We don't like anything and no longer read anything other than each other's posts.

You should have never come back.

>in philosophy, there was a consensus that reality could only be 'described' using linguistic frameworks, and their value was given a probability using bayesianism, but no linguistic framework was ever true, so all we have are intersubjective descriptions of empirical events
>postmodern worship and a powerful anti-scientism feeling
>psychology was also despised
Dear God

Oh my sweet child
It is much, much worse

>You should have never come back.
I don't intend to stay here. I just found pic related while clearing out a hard disk and reminisced upon many wasted nights spent arguing here with total strangers..

I know the destructive, addictive power this board has, and know to stay away from it. It's slow nature meant I could return the next morning, and my ego wanted to read the replies to the previous night's comments and continue the debate.

While I have quite a few close friends, I felt I needed the opportunity to discuss books or philosophy in depth for hours. Veeky Forums was an escape, an addiction, a way for me to speak my mind under the mask of anonymity, but as my real life developed and my free time evaporated, I had to leave Veeky Forums behind and focus on my relationship, career and real life.

most of the increased traffic is due to /soc/, Veeky Forums, some other new autistic boards created after this chinese fucker became the owner of Veeky Forums, and constant expositions of /b/ and /pol/ to media, esp. during 2k17 presidential campain. Pepe, "an alt-right mascot", was literally on the news, lmao.

Veeky Forums has not changed much. we are way more right wing oriented nowadays, just like any community of individuals who avoid mainstream media's brainwash.

also OP, the word 'kino' has been used widely in the TV discourse since at least 1990, dunno why /tv/irgins made a meme of it just recently.

Not a single affirmation you made in that post is true. I'm not telling you to stop browsing altogether since I know how fun Veeky Forums is but I think you should take a break.

>I left about four years ago, after the book club, where a book would be voted upon, stickied and the whole board read and discussed it. We had The Sorrows of Young Werther, the Epic of Gilgamesh and a few others.

This should return, it was great.

>Theologically, you had entered a Christian phase with a strong dose of buddhism, maybe 30% buddhist and 70% Christian, having remained atheist until the death of Hitchens. You described things you didn't like as either reddit, /pol/ or fedora.

It is 100% Christian and it should be

I don't spend a lot of time here, I just know what's been happening.

>not a single affirmation you made in that post is true
how about you try to disprove any of them?

Not him, but
>Veeky Forums has not changed much. we are way more right wing oriented nowadays
Is blatantly false. Clowns such as Richard Spencer would be laughed out of a thread and not reach the 300-500 responses they have been getting, some of which are even positive.

Hiro had nothing to do with the increase in traffic, retarded /pol/lacks / redditors chimping out all over the internet did.
Veeky Forums was never truly right wing and has become increasing less right wing except for obvious shitposters trying to meme Kermit and that Critique book.
"Kino" has only been used "at least since 1990" in german and russian texts probably, no publication or critic has ever used the term, and if they did, it was probably some retard who didn't have Veeky Forums yet and no serious academic of cinema has ever used it in the same sense /tv/ does.

Your post makes me think of someone trying to reconstruct human history solely through Veeky Forums posts.

why would you being.Richard Spencer here? he's not a writer, poet, nor an essayist.

see Evola, Peterson, Scruton and other conservative thought threads, they are posted daily, reach bump limit and are replaced before 404ing.

Not to mention the amount of far-right posters who trigger centrists and leftists so much that you see "go back to /pol/" in every single thread.

Peterson and Scruton are CONSTANTLY BTFO and yet remain being posted solely because you cunts can't even begin to accept they might be wrong. I can't count the times I've explained how dishonest, tendentious and downright Dumb Scruton sounds in his art criticism, the same goes for people with JBP, and yet you faggots keep pretending you're welcome here. You're not, you're just the new wave of fedora atheism, people trying to be edgy to justify their extremely milquetoast beliefs. A joke, a pit of resentment, a intellectual void, a bunch of retards willing to create a global conspiracy to wipe a whole race solely because they can't get girlfriends.

>obvious shitposters trying to meme Kermit and that Critique book.
nice fallacy there. the "obvious" "shitposters" are 75% of the board.

>"Kino" has only been used "at least since 1990" in german and russian texts probably
all eastern and central european, and by the end of the 90s, also other westerns texts.

>they did, it was probably some retard who didn't have Veeky Forums yet and no serious academic of cinema has ever used it in the same sense /tv/ does.
obviously, I said that /tv/'s use of the word is disgusting.

>Veeky Forums was never truly right wing
Top kek, please tell me how Christian threads and harassing female youtubers had nothing to do with the right-wing.

>Not to mention the amount of far-right posters who trigger centrists and leftists so much that you see "go back to /pol/" in every single thread.
Funny how the people who do that don't actually understand "far-right" positions, have not read any literature on the subject, and seem to only exist to """trigger""" others. It's almost as if they are a foreign cancer, steadily and swiftly sucking out all the lifeblood of a website after being led here by a preconception of counterculture.

>Top kek, please tell me how Christian threads
Christianity has been a major theme of writing for centuries (which you would know if you read more than the five books you read in high school). I am an agnostic and can still appreciate Christian themes and symbolism in literature.
>harassing female youtubers had nothing to do with the right-wing
That was an embarrassment to the board and brought newfags like yourself crawling in. Using that example only serves to illustrate yourself as the annoying, dumb newfag that you are. Please go into traffic in a blindfold.

>tell me how Christian threads and harassing female youtubers had nothing to do with the right-wing.
>harassing female youtubers
How's that right-wing? Lol top kek

>nice fallacy there. the "obvious" "shitposters" are 75% of the board.
No, they are not. You aren't welcome here retard.

Dear God, indeed.

At the heart of Veeky Forumss postmodernism was the rejection of the Aristotelian essence. The Ship of Theseus Paradox was regurgitated in hundreds of different ways: Say, I bake a pizza for you every day and ask you if it is a pizza. I make it the same way, only I add five grains of salt each time. Years later, you pick up your spoon to eat your giant mountain of salt, with a few tomatoes and flour and bits of cheese, and concede that you have been eating a mountain of salt and not a pizza for a while. I ask you to pinpoint the exact time pizza transitioned to giant mountain of salt, and you cant. It's like the millions of shades of orange before yo remove enough yellow to call it red.

You probably recognize the ancient Greek Ship of Theseus (the same example but replacing pieces of wood until the entire ship has been replaced, potentially rebuilding the old ship while making a new ship that somebody claims is the same one). It's a fascinating coincidence, but Mahayana came up with the same oriental version at the same time using a king's chariot. That's where the 'not-self' in Buddhism was first properly elucidated. Veeky Forums had latched on to the postmodern adoption of the same argument, and declared that anything physical, and not just nouns, were linguistic constructs and not the objects they described. That any discussion of reality was not reality itself, could never be, but a spider's web of semantics that could never be the events they described, and never be objectively verifiable.

Every day had multiple threads with the terms, "intersubjective" "objectively verifiable, "semantic framework, "linguistic games" "the map is not the territory it describes," "dogmatic scientism." "Go back to Veeky Forums" was as common as "Go back to /pol"

Veeky Forums held the belief that science was unable to undergo its own reformation and critique, and berated it for being dogmatic and thinking it had objectively true facts and statements about reality. The only positive was that while Veeky Forums was basking firmly in postmodernism, it stayed away from the dangerous swamp of relativism and thinking that because everything was inside linguistics, everything was of equal value. They maintained that although we are inside this giant linguistic structure, interacting with other subjective opinions about reality, the inter-subjective model we created had probability values that could be measured against each other. So, while they despised 'scientism' they conceded evolution or gravity had a probability of 99.9%, Elvis still being alive had less than 1%, a specific theory of physics had, say, 67%.

The beef with psychology was very complicated. Tied into free will, theology, souls, epistemology, a hatred of 'scientism', various interpretations of Cartesian Dualism, and a lot more.

Postmodernism outside of philosophy was even bigger with the worship of DFW and Pynchon. Everybody wanted to be postmodern, and would always ask, "Am I postmodern yet."

>after this chinese fucker became the owner of Veeky Forums

I heard about that. Did Moot just sell the board to him? Has Moot gone completely now with no influence, or is he a shareholder or something? Has Moot leaving had much of an effect on Veeky Forums in general?

>This should return, it was great.
Veeky Forumss book club was fantastic. It fell apart when people started resetting their routers for a new IP address, so whichever book they picked had hundreds more votes.

It is 100% Christian and it should be
If you have lost the hint of Buddhism you had, I think that's a bit of a loss. There were a few people discussing Islam and going over hadiths and other texts too. Even if you choose to identify as a Christian, there is still a lot of great stories and wisdom in other religions

Yeah, because christianity is necessarily right wing and being a creep towards girls is a main tennet of conservatism.
If you weren't a newfag you'd know how a lot of said christian discussion had fans of guys like René Girard or pic related who are most definitely not right wingers.

>Postmodernism outside of philosophy was even bigger with the worship of DFW and Pynchon.
This still going on to a certain extent. I have not read Pynchon, is he really good?
I am hesitant to buy anything by him or dfw as they are memed here all the time.

DFW is kinda shit (imo) but Pynchon is legit a fantastic writer. That he manages to comment on so much shit and do so many different scenarions in his books while mantaining the bar very high (even Vineland, considered by many to be his worst book, is leagues ahead of many authors) should be enough to warrant him at least a try.

>Veeky Forumss book club was fantastic. It fell apart when people started resetting their routers for a new IP address, so whichever book they picked had hundreds more votes.

That's a shame. Unfortunately there is probably no way to prevent that, unless you had to register with an email, which is very unlikely as we prefer anonymity.
Can you share some memories of it? Which books have u guys read before they started to use the trick?

Yeah, I was jesting about the Christian thing, of course it is always interesting to learn about new religions and cultures.

Thanks for the explanation. I have been curious about him for a long time. Is he really complicated or I can pick any of his books without context or having read his other work?

>as atheism has gained even more momentum in the masses
lol

>DFW and Pynchon were the writers on a pedestal (along with the modernist Joyce) and hailed as the postmodern kings.

Something awful happened.

Dr. Jordan B. Peterson happened.
That one man highhandedly destroyed the board.

Postmodernism was fine until Veeky Forums started repeating every word Jordan Peterson said. Peterson is an atheist pretending to be a christian because his hobby is crowbarring Jungian archetypes over the bible and pretending they were there all along instead of something he has done. You can watch him do the same with the lion King and other stories, and he could do it with the same depth to Islam or Hinduism if he wanted, but there isn't the audience for it and he wouldn't get $40k a month in Patreon.

Because he doesn't believe in God, like, the traditional conscious creator of the universe God, and he makes an unnecessarily hard to define God who is man's potential ideal archetype because muh Jung, Peterson wants objectivity for his morality. I don't like either of them, but he tried to have a debate with Ham Sarris, and if you read the comments, they'll point you to the specific moments where Harris destroys his arguments and Peterson realizes he lied and contradicted himself and got caught. He argues for an absolute evil and we can see Good by going in the opposite direction. To make his argument, Peterson needed to attack Postmodernism. He has at least five videos where he says, "I know postmodernism is 'technically' correct, but..." And he built a giant strawman mixing postmodernism, Marxism, gender theory, neo-feminsim, the recent gender pronoun atrocity, and other things he doesn't like together.

Surely you know Veeky Forums is incapable of critical thinking and can only parrot other people. And Veeky Forums is contrarian and has to go with the underdog, which is why Veeky Forums turned Christian when the fedora was invented.

Veeky Forums loved communism, loved postmodernism, loved Christianity, hated feminism and hated Social Justice Warriors. But Jordan Peterson came along with his easy to adopt, ready made strawman and Veeky Forums had to adopt all of his opinions. Just like they used to do when Zizek was the poster boy. If you want to know Veeky Forumss collective views now, watch a Jordan Peterson video.

He is complicated and you can pick any of his books without any context since context will hardly make a difference. Except maybe for Vineland and Mason & Dixon, his books are in historically "normal" situations, though he'll also do constant time / spacejumps without any hint and completely change shit up (the most glaring example, I guess, being the omniscient-robot-duck in Mason & Dixon, I guess). With the Pynchmeister you're always in for a wild ride, is what I'm saying.

I don't think Veeky Forums is the problem here, the problem is crossposter. Before JBP, people here despised Campbell, for example (which is a shame, since he's a much more serious and interesting scholar than Jung or JBP could ever be) and while never completely sympathetic to Freud since the site's population is mostly anglo and they don't like Freud for whatever reason, everyone always dismissed shit like Jung, IQ, Meyer-briggs and etc. as basically astrology.
Also, I was exactly like you described ( loved communism, loved postmodernism etc.) but things have changed: Not only I still love all those things, the right wingers increased hysterical fits all over the internet have made me realize that even thought SJWs / third-wave feminists / american "liberals" were extremely annoying, they at least have always been sincere and well intentioned, while /pol/ can be even more annoying while also being extremely cynical and detached.

>I have not read Pynchon, is he really good?
>I am hesitant to buy anything by him or dfw as they are memed here all the time.

He is very complex and difficult the first time you read him. I don't think I've ever suggested this before, but If I were going to tackle him from the start again, I'd watch the Inherent Vice film, maybe twice, then read the book after. You'll have a much better understanding and will be able to grip the book. Once you've got through Inherent Vice, you'll understand his tricks and will be able to tackle something else by him. Save Gravity's rainbow for last.

>"Go back to Veeky Forums" was as common as "Go back to /pol"
This has never been the case on Veeky Forums, man. You are creating your own memory monster here, and pretty much none of it is true.

Veeky Forumss not 100% christian

I cant imagine this many postmodern christians

postmodernity is essentially christian, my man.

> Stirner threads were 10+ a day.
Stirner posting didn't take off until way after 2014.

I think a lot of posters conflate immature racism with thoughtful debate and are rightfully told to grow up or fuck off.

/pol/ is and always has been a negative influence on this board. There are good cross-posters, but they are outweighed by a colossal amount of idiots suffering from a bad Danny Kruger effect.

I've been here since 2014 and I would say the Marxism and Christposting has died down considerably. I remember people were worried that Veeky Forums would kill philosophy but the pointless debates continue to this day, with about four retards not understanding what The Stranger means every week and six autists asking for the Envangelion of Literature.

Fantasy threads have been thankfully contained successfully for as long as I can remember.

>>"Go back to Veeky Forums" was as common as "Go back to /pol"
>This has never been the case on Veeky Forums, man. You are creating your own memory monster here, and pretty much none of it is true.

Veeky Forums has an archive. Go and have a look for yourself.

We have slightly more ads with hirohito but he's blaming the financial troubles. So far he's been hands off.

>Stirner posting didn't take off until way after 2014.

I think the height of Stirner posting was 2013. You can look in the archive for that too.

TL;DR of the last few years
>I made some funny copypastas about DFW in a tracksuit, Proust's chronic masturbation, the booger falling on the B&N counter, and a few others that I see frequently used
>the Bible and Moby Dick have been mentioned way more in the last 6 months
>Christianity seems like it's on the rise ever since Jordan Peterson came into the mainstream but it's possible I just didn't pay attention to it til then. I actually like this a lot, my life has improved a lot since reading TBK and almost believing in god
>easy on the carrots, bugs
>less depressed frogposters, likely because they have by now killed themselves

Anything else, you'll notice it upon a quick glance through a thread or catalog

Veeky Forums got into a googledoc phase and produced a bunch of mass written books. Most were garbage, but the first two had an energy of experimentation and fun that carried them.

>tfw no one talks about Hypersphere or TLOT

>Go back to /mu/
>Go back to Veeky Forums

Damn, now I remember the hatred for /mu/ too. Go back to /mu/ became as common as go back to Veeky Forums and /pol/ for a while. Is anyone else old enough to remember that weird board romance Veeky Forums had with /mu/? You guys would raid each other's boards every day to flirt. They wanted a "QT3.14 patrician bookworm waifu." They even made us a big youtube playlist mixtape.

>Is anyone else old enough to remember that weird board romance Veeky Forums had with /mu/?
Redpill me on that please

>less depressed frogposters, likely because they have by now killed themselves

Because the frog has literally been culturally appropriated by the far right.

Found the mixtape. Have a skim through that thread and you'll get the idea. It went on for a few months

warosu.org/lit/thread/S2765550

Some fucking autistic Veeky Forums ball happened.

/mu/ is an okay board though. I go on /x/ to laugh sometimes.

Wow that certainly a bad mixtape.
How the love started though?

But, what is the Evangelion of literature?

How?

The manga version.

Cross-posters probably. I'd say /mu/ and Veeky Forums attract a similar crowd of white college educated men who aren't /r9k/ tier socially but don't like sports or going out.

>I'd say /mu/ and Veeky Forums attract a similar crowd of white college educated men who aren't /r9k/ tier socially but don't like sports or going out.
Very accurate, but I thought Veeky Forums would have a better taste for music...

Veeky Forums seems to have better taste than every other board in their subject.

Literally just type, what is patrish music Veeky Forums?

it's this

youtube.com/watch?v=fQHto60cDFA&t=294s

youtu.be/RZLGqHyeX-s

This shit or dissonant shit

Very good, I think lit has the better taste overall, even for movies.
I also see Leonard Cohen, Townes van Zandt and other similar artists being recommended here.

The new trends starting second half of 2017 into 2018 are RECOGNITIONS threads and DELEUZE posting

You had me until the last sentence, then I saw through your post. JBP has nothing to do with the JQ. And the JQ is valid no matter what kind of conspiracy trash attach themselves to it. To say otherwise is to deny overwhelming evidence and deductive reasoning itself (high EQ/verbal intelligence + low tendancy to integrate + cultural habit of nepotism = ruling class of outsiders)

Nick Cave and Tom Waits get a whole lotta love too. I've seen Sleep and Electric Wizard shilled from time to time, but I may be confusing boards.

For me, it's former Pantera leading man Phil Anselmo's band Down tho.

Wait till CASSIRER casting becomes a thing

>What has changed and what big events have I missed?
/r/books invaded this place after a Veeky Forums top books image got popular there and now we have this awful science fiction and fantasy general

>And the JQ is valid no matter what kind of conspiracy trash attach themselves to it.
Sorry for sounding dumb, but what is the JQ?

What is google?

>What is google?
Yeah, tried that.

"JQ is a very high-level functional programming language with support for backtracking and managing streams of JSON data. It is related to the Icon and Haskell programming languages"

Given the context, I thought JQ might be something else.

JQ and conspiracy will give you jewish question.

The state of contemporary judaism

>This should return, it was great.
We tried it last year. Very few people participated even with several different books being read. There's no interest for it on this board

Why wasnt it one book at a time?