Books You're Pretty Sure Only You Read

When I was in middle school we had that "Accelerated Reader" thing that gauged your reading level and our teachers assigned books accordingly. I always scored off the charts so most of the school library was below my reading level.

Pic related was one of the few exceptions. I read it for the first time in 6th grade and multiple times after that. I'm pretty sure I was the only student who had ever even opened this book.

In HS I read a book called "Please don't kill the Freshman" of which I have yet to meet another person IRL who has actually even heard of.

What are Veeky Forums's obscure reads?

I don't think the Phantom Tollbooth qualifies as obscure. Haven't heard of the other though.

hit me up with those synonym buns before you going jumping to Conclusions, you piece of shit

>I don't think the Phantom Tollbooth qualifies as obscure
it's not common...

hardly any book you'd find in a children's library could be considered actually obscure.

Telepathic dolphins vs. aliens, written by an eighty year old lady

Harris and me

Meditations in green

Both probably not all that obscure

I read a terrible, like, doomsday book by the guy who played Watto in the Star Wars prequels.
I am very sure I'm one the few.

the old bitch is ripping off ecco the dolphin

my older brother read this as a 6th grader too.

>Books You're Pretty Sure Only You Read
>posts one of the most well known children's books of all time
what?

I read Phantom's Tollbooth years ago, thanks for reminding me OP. It was a pretty good read when I was 13.

I read Dickens' Little Dorrit. This humble little heroine with her ugly moon faced mentally retarded sidekick Maggy and an odious family of losers wasting their entire lives in debtor's prison was as far from a modern protagonist as one could imagine. How astounded I was that it was made into a superb movie with Alec Guinness and many other great stars of the London stage.

Probably this

They made us read Phantom Tollbooth as part of the regular 6th grade curriculum

t. Californian 6th grader in 2000-2001

where can I find out more about this book

Armor. Took it camping and thought it was trash at first but by the end it was in my top five favourite scifi books.

This shit turned me off of reading it was so bad. Wasn't until I discovered 1984 and Murakami as a teenager that I regained faith in books.

Fucking loved this book. Kid in Chicago wakes up one day and finds he's become invisible. Develops a relationship with a blind girl and I think there was a subplot with a bank robber. Eventually finds out it was solar flares interfering with his electric blanket that made him become invisible.

My brother had a copy of Phantom Tollbooth and I think I later read it in school (and then watched the movie). It's an example of covers lie, though, Tock (the dog) looks pretty pissed and angry but he's really a big softie who gets his feelings hurt in the first chapter.

I read a few books by Clements when I was a kid. Kind of weird, too, there was Frindle, the newspaper one, and The Janitor's Boy, which had a weird subplot about him entering the steam tunnels.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who read this dumb book
It was pretty relatable as a kid

I read this, it was meh.

>Targeted towards preteens
A plane crashes on an island. There's 2 chicks and one boy who survive.

They all get captured by a mad scientist.

He "transforms" them into a manta ray, a bird, and a lizard respectively.
Implanting them with brain chips so they can communicate with each other despite being separated and well, animals.

Eventually they escape and mostly return to normal, with minor changes such as the manta ray chick having gills.

The transformation descriptions were horrifying however, describing how their bodies contorted and twisted and the pain they were in

It's funny, I just bought Tollbooth the other day off of Amazon. I've told dozens of people about this book and no one has ever heard of it.

Read this after getting in a trashy sci-fi binge but couldn't get over the constant grammar/spelling errors in the edition I got.

The Phantom Tollbooth was my favorite book in 5th grade. It's a classic of children's literature.

This weird sci-fi book where everybody lived in their own box and the main character was a guy and there was a girl. It had really odd cover art featuring the two as caricatures. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

>it's not common...

Dude they made a movie out of it, it was pretty good

1984?

reminds me of that movie "Return to Oz" that was a sequel to the wizard of oz, no one I know has watched it other than me.

Pic related is pretty obscure unless you're already deep in the Sci-Fi scene. I've certainly never heard about it from anyone that wasn't online.

Milo looks so fucking done

That sounds more like a fetish fic disguised as a YA novel.

>fetish fic disguised as a YA novel
aren't all YA novel's fetish fics?

There was a good thread a while back about how to make a good best-selling YA novel: take some Greek myth that plebs are unaware of due to poor education and place it in some dystopian future, file down all the characters to one characteristic, and replace all allegory with a few "well-designed plot holes" to create community discussion.

read this like three times in the second grade. No one I have ever met has read it, let alone even heard of the series.

Half Magic. I thought it was a Roald Dahl book because it was published by the same people and the art was similar, but it wasn’t. The tl;dr: these kids find a magic penny that only grants you half of whatever you wish. For example they wish a cat could talk and it only says weird gibberish half-words. Then they wish it could fully talk all the time and it spends 30 seconds talking normally and 30 seconds in silence. They get in all sorts of adventures, like they go to the Middle Ages, one of the kids turns into a ghost because, one of the kids joins another family and loses her memory. Basically they get into all sorts of trouble because they have to be particular about how they phrase everything because of how the magic penny works

That was a weird book. I specifically remember a part where a knight gets a burning pudding (it's British after all) on his nose, and the other guy cuts it off, which takes off part of his nose as well. Even though it later gets restored, it was still was really off-putting.

there's a book I've been dying to remember from my childhood.

I think it was part of a series, although I began with just this book. The only distinguishing memory I have was that it ended with a 'hunt,' in the mythical sense. As in, the spirit of some mythological deity descended at the end in an old english town and began 'the hunt,' with horns blowing. Forget how it all even tied into the plot.

What fucking book was this?

Wheel of time series maybe?
Not really a kids series but that's kinda how it ends

Same, I had already read it before that though. I enjoyed the second read however.

AHAHA "I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE"

MY MOTHER IS A 6TH GRADE TEACHER, AND THIS BOOK IS EASILY READ BY HER STUDENTS EACH YEAR.

SIT DOWN OP.
You're not special.

GOAT children's book coming through

Sit down
Be humble

based

to this day, this is one of the oddest rides that I've been on.

YO i totally forgot about this, thanks man

I loved the Phantom Tollbooth. First book I think I was ever super into

He cuts off the other guy’s nose and it turns into a massive fight that ends with them all sliced to pieces. That’s what the cover depicts. Merlin later heals them

I wanna see the original cover before the blood was painted out

Endgame?

I think we watched a movie based on this book once in elementary school. It's an extremely vague memory of a dodechahedron monster?

>It's an extremely vague memory of a dodechahedron monster
that's about right

Does anyone remember Jeremy Thatcher: Dragon Hatcher?

I remember the name, I think I used to skip over it as I thumbed my way through the fiction section at the library.

Young adult riff on the lotus eaters, but done as a pseudo hard sci fi. Still holds up.

Has anyone ever read this? This is the most important book I've ever read. No one I know has read it.

I guess it would help if i posted the pic

I found this one in a discard bin... it's a pretty fun read.

>it's not common...
Are you retarded? It was very popular back in the day. Not Harry Potter tier, but still very popular.

First half is literally just a narration of a Wizardry game, second half is about some rebellion on a desert planet laced with thinly veiled wewuzism.
Entertaining but not good, and I can't find ebooks for the rest of the series.

I remember every dumbass in my english class thinking this shit was the actual Dracula by Bram Stoker. Pretty sure I was the only one to read Count Vlad nonetheless

alternate cover

this is a great book, read it because I was on a military sci fi kick but it transcended the genre

Sherlock Holmes is called to Brazil to find a stolen stradivarius that belongs to the emperor (D. Pedro II), but his arrival inspires the thief and assassin (a proto serial killer) to challenge the detective.

The settings are in Rio in the Brazilian Empire and it's very well researched. The mistery is done fairly right for a comedian, a good plot twist in the end and the cultural shock and characters and situational jokes the are pretty funny.

I had that book, but never read it