Should the characters in literature talk in the style of how normal people talk?

Or in a more elevated and refined "literary" way?
Does it depend on the work?

Depends who the character is.

author does the fuck he wants

How do real people talk?

This

Maybe it was Pynchons secret plan to get everyone talking like a schizophrenic whose been off the meds for 80 years, walking the streets and turning the world into his vomit fetishtic childrens playground. Finally, Paradise!

Should people assume we've always talked the way we talk now?

no

This is like a family guy cutaway but really shitty

How good is Jacques Louis David?

>Does it depend on the work?
Yes

I'm just glad every writer is different when it comes to dialogue, even if some really fuck it up.
Salinger is basically a master at real sounding dialogue, but if everyone wrote like him I'd probably just play video games.
Pretty good

the best.

Pretentious and overly mannered.

Another debate: is it okay to not use quotation marks for dialogue? I think it gives it a nice aesthetic and makes it feel less “booky”.

It's okay, but I imagine that most editors and publishers would give you some shit for it.

Go outside.

How do you indicate dialogue then?

-how do you indicate the dialogue the? - said monolingual user
-this very way -answered superior continental

Tu utilizacion del guion es tan mas fea que las comilas en mi opinion.

Depends on the work. Melville's dialogues, for example, seem kind of retarded, since he is incapable of giving his characters layman speak. Even random whalers and sailors speak like gentlemen

And your use of Spanish outside of /int/ is more disrespectful than my “guion feo” in my opinion

>hello, I would like to purchase a book, please. Yes, but I would like it to be not one of those books books, please. No, I don't really mind about how, I just don't want my books to be very booky.

Tu ignorancia de la lengua castellana bonita es una lastima grande. Muy tipicamente de gringos estupidos actualmente.

>No usar tildes

Mi teclado es por el idioma ingles, pero cual de las palabras necesitan los tildes?

Neither.

Ayyyyy carrambaaa

lástima, típicamente (aunque no es una palabra del todo correcta), estúpidos, entre otras. Hay otros errores de congruencia de número. De todos modos, para no ser un hablante nativo estás bastante bien.

Tilde es un sinonimo de acento agudo?

Sí, es el único presente en la lengua (con muy pocas excepciones).

Boy do I hate the spanisgh language.
Also, y'all use 'es' for both second person and third?

Acento es en el habla, tilde en la escritura (el símbolo)

no, eres is second person.

Yo soy idiota, pero incluso más inteligente que tú.

cerra tu puta boca mexinarco negro de mierda

Through fluidity.

Explain through examples.

who wants to read about normal people?

As a French native, reading your Castilian without much troubles is hilarious. I should really learn Spanish at some point.

Check out Fred Wah. Description slides into narration

You proved his point

>Does it depend on the work?
yes

Qué mal español hablas.

Someone take all these Mexicans behind the wall and off our Veeky Forums

Para ya, por favor. Nos haces pasar vergüenza ajena.

Any answer other than "it depends on the work" is wrong.

"Realistic" dialogue is good to inject some comedy, even in serious works, but it means that you have to shift the drama mostly out of the dialogue because real life communication is rarely dramatic and is usually clumsy.
"Perfected" dialogue is good for action, drama, and so on. Basically realistic dialogue but distilled down to its essence and put in good words.
"Literary" dialogue is good for grand discussions of big ideas.

The style of dialogue also has to match how it's used. Realistic dialogue should not be used to write grand monologues. If you're going to use realistic dialogue characters should communicate realistically - i.e. interrupting each other, speaking rarely more than a handful of sentences at a time, and so on. Literary dialogue lends itself to long and eloquent soliloquies which resemble speech-themed exposition more than actual speech.

Depends user. I'm a rural retard but spell like this. If you want phonetic it'd be.

Dipen's anan. Imma ruahl retahd but spell like this. Ifja wan fenetic i''d be.

See the difference?

I don't think that's what he's referring to.
see

>"Literary" dialogue is good for grand discussions of big ideas.
Nope. Take that colonial bullshit else where

It works when McCarthy does it, seems to add to the bleakness