Why Do People Hate Infinite Jest?

>Why Do People Hate Infinite Jest?
think you answer that yourself bud

Any male over the age of 16 with hair this long should just have that sex change already

He probably grew it to distract from his receding hair line
I know his pain

>spending money to advertise

do you think thom yorke/radiohead at large read ij while they were making ok computer?

I almost didn't read IJ because of this tool. Guess I'm a bigger tool for seeking reviews of a book that I'd already bought instead of just fucking reading it.

because it's supposed to be a big boy book and people use it to show off

>when all the negative comments are about the fandom, not the work itself
how you know Veeky Forums has never read IJ

It's bad and obnoxious, but despite Bloom's dismissal I could discern talent. The only other short story of his I read was about an inner monologue at a counselor, it was worse than IJ, made me feel like an edgy 16 year old. How are his essays?

>seeking reviews of a book that I'd already bought
do americans actually do this?

most retarded post ive seen in weeks

not the 700s anymore

*current year*

>men have short hair
>women have long hair

masculine men have short hair

They are good, informative, funny, and sometimes, yes, also edgy, but that edginess is DFW's unavoidable marque.

Because DFW is the king of postmodernism.

Jordan Peterson came along and tricked the hivemind into thinking postmodernism was evil.

Peterson needed to attack the "inside the text" view of postmodernism, even though he concedes it's correct every single time he is pushed, because he couldn't think of another way to distance himself from the emphasis on subjectivity it implied. He scuttled around and made a strawman umbrella out of postmodernism, and beneath put everything he hated, from atheists and students who like trotsky, to blue-haired bull dyke feminists and vegans. If Peterson were a vegetarian tho, that weasel would argue a carnivore is a radical pomo commie. So, where once Veeky Forums adores postmodernism, JP pretends pomo comes from the depths of hell, his worshipers, who latch on to him a surrogate meme father figure, shudder in horror and parrot his ideology, and everything linked to postmodernism becomes a target. So bye bye Dave.

You'll have to wait for Veeky Forums to latch on to their next grown up, and whether it's another Hitchens or a Zizek character, if the ideology they're offering permits pomo, then the hivemind self-policing will require Dave to be liked again.

Good Old Neon is actually DFW's most important work

I read it to see if it was just a meme. Honestly? I enjoyed it. It made me laugh out loud on a few occasions. Specifically the little buddy chats and the eschaton game. It also made me extremely sad at times. It's enormous, but it doesn't feel like a gimmick. It *has* to be this way. Definitely one of my favorite books. And in general, read what you enjoy. That's the only metric.