Recently I’ve been getting into Proclus (6 books, Theology of Plato, on Timaeus of Plato)...

Recently I’ve been getting into Proclus (6 books, Theology of Plato, on Timaeus of Plato), Iamblichus (on the mysteries), Porphyry (select works), Giordano Bruno (De Umbris, Expulsión of the triumphant beast) and Holy Fuck: I wish I had been reading these guys long before now. Obscure early, middle, and Neoplatonist are expensive, so I can’t justify spreading net too wide at the moment: give me the names of the great ones, please

Preferably not Christians

Preferably the Christian ones. Check out Dionysus the Areopagite and Meister Eckhart. I assume you already read Plotinus but if you haven't the Enneads should be your next read

Dionysius’ collected works is 10 dollars on amazon. It should be arriving any day now. Thanks for the response. Ya, enneads are done, but I should hit more Eckhart. I don’t have a problem with Christian Platonists, it just feels like they are apologizing, justifying their beliefs, or restricting discussion or conclusions at every corner. They are brilliant, but I’m aiming for raw, unadulterated Platonism, like almost religious Platonism with theurgy and stuff.

Not the user you were responding to, but I have some interest in the neoPlatonists. Do you recommend I read Porphyry's biography of Plotinus first or just jump straight into the Enneans? Also, would it be prudent to do a refresher on specific Platonic works first?

Algis Uzdavinys is the most masterful modern neoplatonic commentator. All of his English books are great.

I just finished the golden chain and his theurgy book arrives Sunday. Is his Orpheus book worth 10 dollars even though it’s only 100 pages? And what about the Jewish and Muslim ascent? Or should I just splurge and go for philosophy as a rite of rebirth?

Five Texts on the Mediaeval Problem of Universals: Porphyry, Boethius, Abelard, Duns Scotus, Ockham

Ibn Arabi bezels of wisdom

Theurgy book and rite of rebirth and orpheus book are all good. Actually didn't know he had a bookabout Judaism and Islam. But read him. Also might recommend checking out Shaw and Kupperman re:Theurgy.

Have you heard of Prometheus Trust books?

Eckhart was pretty heretical so you might still like him.

Plotinus is pretty easy with some basic Plato and Aristotle. Hadot has a good book on him too.

Thomas Taylor Collection... @_@

Apuleius
Homeric Hymns
Chaldean Oracles

Suhrawardi for islamic neoplatonism

Shaw gets to me by Sunday and your recommendation caused me to pull the trigger on kupperman. Thanks

Expensive.. but I’ll work on it

Practical Art of Divine Magic and Postmodern Papyri are worthwhile for serious engagement of theurgical operations. Might be a bit too new agey / occulty for some philosophers however. Maybe look into Skinner's Techniques of Graeco-Egyptian / Solomonic Magic (separate volumes) and Hanegraaf re: Hermeticism.

“The goal of Platonism was not to get out of the body, but to be embodied in a divine way."

- Greg Shaw

Spot on. I wish more people that talk about Plato understood this and got rid of that dualist shit

You've already named them OP. Others have been recommended: Algis Uzdavinys, Pseudo-Dionysius. Keep looking on that track. Duns Scotus and them.

Also read Plotinus, then to really blow your mind compare his questions/model of the soul with Augustine's. Christianity has fallen in our benighted day, friend. It's about time for a new infusion of Platonism, a new appreciation for the soul and its relation to God.