Honest Finnegans Wake discussion

Could we have an honest talk about this raw sui generis? It's our dreams in prose; that's all I'm able to say with absolute certainty. What do You think it represents? The possibilities are endless, so I'm eager to hear your views.

it's very subjective

All you're able to say about it is that it's a dream and 'sui generis'. You only read the wikipedia for it.

came here to say this lol. the sui genris is a dead giveaway. wikipedia lists it as the genre.

the wikipedia page has pretty much all you need to know about the book

>BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

N U T
U
T

>describes thunder as farts
>a cat's meow as a clogged drain
>footsteps soft like rattling tinfoil
What am I reading?

Honestly I couldnt read it and wondered why I wasted my time trying

It's actually a novel where the city of Dublin is the protagonist.

Just read some poems by Stephane Mallarme instead.

Don't try to read it like a novel.

Parse it, sentence by sentence, like you would a ancient language. You might ge something out of it that way.

>most impressive work in the English language
>Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu Ualu Ualu! Quaouauh!
>mfw

t.

this is stupid

finnegans is consistent enough in pace that you become used to the flow in the space of the first few chapters. the vocab can be trying but there are plenty of perfectly competent glosses that eliminate most of the pain

there are way funnier/goofier sentences later in the text, you should keep reading it

Its a book that was and will only ever have an esoteric meaning to its author. Anyone who reads it dor edification s the epitome of a pseud.

OP here, thank you.

Harold Bloom is a psued huh?

he read it out of vocational obligation

Bloom liked and appreciated Finnegans wake a lot, though. He even compared it to Shakespeare.

>easy to recognize reference to Aristophanes The Frogs
Jesus, imagine being this much of a brainlet.

>Hey Everybody, this guy doesn't read Greek Playwrights!! Hahahaha

I find it amazing that Barthelme is a highly-regarded writer.

the pointless ups and downs, loose ends, and non sequiturs are either endearing or intolerable, depending mostly on my mood. but he is irritating in anything other than small doses. not sure i could ever make it through one of his novels

Oh then I guess he is a pseud