Is it technically wrong (by the rules of the English language) to say:

Is it technically wrong (by the rules of the English language) to say:

>a honorable
>an utopia

or do the rules of a vs an strictly apply to vowel usage? Regardless of what's technically correct I'm going to use what sounds natural, but I am mildly curious.

>pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_fingers
youtu.be/JFmHKO9k6J0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_(linguistics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You do it by sound, not by the letter. So you would write, "a utopia", and "an honorable".

It goes by vowel *sound*, not vowel *grapheme*.

It's
> an honourable
> a utopia

Americans may find the second more of a strain, since they don't palatalise, but whatever.

What a stupid photo, not a Trump guy.But I have to agree with him or that. The retards are the ones doing the shit handshake

its phonetic

>The retards are the ones doing the shit handshake
its a metaphor for their connective relationship being built on a 'cross your fingers while telling the truth' lie.

Can you reexplain this for brainlets?

you know when someone says: "swear to me you are telling the truth!" and the person says "I swear.. I really mean it, I will never do it again", but they are crossing their fingers? Or when someone says: That liar double crossed me. Or the olden time phrase: "he was very cross with her".

Somewhere along the way somehow the 'Wish me luck, cross your fingers, became related to superstitious hope and good luck"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_fingers

the 'sounds' of words are called phonemes, my man

turns out it was first used for luck, and so I guess my guess is that it was adapted to be told for a lie in that "give me luck to let this person not find out im lying"

Indeed, my man. I know that.

But my point was to distinguish the sound (phoneme) *from* the letter (grapheme).

also maybe; Trump is straightening out the 'kinks' in the chain

What are the rules with the use of articles before an acronym?
> have 'a' PMT
and
>I have 'an' ADR"

Is it correct to use 'an' for acronyms that start with the consonants like F that are pronounced a vowel sound?
>I have 'an' FTO car
>I have 'an' LSD tab.

Also, U, even though it's a vowel, sounds too unnatural following 'an'
>I have a UPS box
Sounds more natural than
>I have an UPS box

I don't think there are rules it's just whatever sounds right. It's English.

>Or the olden time phrase: "he was very cross with her"

Olden time? It might just be a British thing then, but it's still common for somebody to use cross as a synonym for angry. "user, If you get drunk and wake everyone up at 3am again by trying to cook a roast chicken, I'll be very cross."

It's the same rule: if a word (even if it is an acronym) begins with a vowel sound, use 'an'; otherwise, use 'a'.

> a PMT (a pee'emtee)
> an ADR (an aydee'ar)
> an FTO (an efftee'oh)
> an LSD (an elessdee)

Since the letter 'u', when alone, is pronounced like 'you', it begins with a consonantal 'y', so has 'a'.

> a UPS (a youpee'ess)
> a UFO (a you'effoh)
> a US citizen (a you'ess)

I've got my fingers crossed xD

youtu.be/JFmHKO9k6J0

In British English, 'cross' is a slightly less angry 'angry', or a slightly more annoying annoyance.

> I'm cross now I've forgotten my keys.

>Americans say "an herb"

seems like it would work better if they alternated crossing and not crossing. you don't shake someone's left hand with your right, it's weird

>'an'
why was the concept of the word 'an' ever invented anyway? pure phonetic aesthetics?

Yes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_(linguistics)

The point is he couldn't figure it out, numbskull.

>Bongs say "a herb"

Do they say her-b or er-b?

An Erb

A Her-b

An Her-b

H-urrr-buh

can't make this up

A Erb

Pronouncing herb as 'erb' is real retarted

About that picture, it's actually le helicopter man who's doing it wrong, and Trump is making it right.

Its not, its consistent with the French origin of the term much like hour. Its stupid limeys that forgot how to speak their own language

>pronunciations don't change when borrowed words are taken from another language to be consistent with the borrowing language
>the rest of the English speaking world pronounce it like the Americans

wew

Latin 'herba' has the 'h', so the Brits are right.

And where do the French get the word from?

the ganja lmaoooo

This is one of the most consistent things in English. Letters are barely related to sound (goes for all languages), just see if you're making a vowel or a constant by (internally) looking at the actual sound. Natives do it automatically.

dumb nigger doesn't understand what language is or how it works

>its consistent with the French origin of the term
So? We don't pronounce cliche the French way either. English is very non-standard in terms of pronunciation.

Brits say "an historic" but they don't say "an herb".

>Brits say "an historic"
'ahistoric' is a word, so it avoids confusion.

Because 'herb' has an initial aspiration, whereas 'history' does not.

This is beyond Americans.

Its easier to google the shit and memorize the case by case rather than make rules.

Well just because you retards are unable to say clichee instead of KLISHAYY and say CHAMPAYYN instead if champagne doesn't mean the words would be incorrectly spelled if you actually tried
Fucking Anglo mongrels

How do the french pronounce it?

Clishy? Clich-ee

Cham-pag-knee?

>'u' as in 'unicorn' isn't considered a vowel sound in English

>Is it technically wrong (by the rules of the English language)

Yes lol

Do Brits still say or write, "an hotel?"

>Doesn't know what iotation is.

양키 출발하라

>How do the french pronounce it?
\kli.ʃe\
\ʃɑ̃.paɲ\
Alternately, you can go on google translation and hear how the robot says it.

god his hands are so tiny