Most interesting/creative depictions of the devil or Satan in literature?

Most interesting/creative depictions of the devil or Satan in literature?

See

I've already read that thread and Paradise Lost.
Wouldn't say it applies as it is basically the orthodox version at this point.

>Milton
>Orthodox

No.

Anyhow, Master and Margarita does some interesting things with Satan.

Satan in TBK was pretty cool desu senpai

I finished Letters from Earth by Twain recently. The letters from Lucifer to heaven were a great read.

Did you capitalize orthodox because you hoped to snarkily correct me as though I meant the Orthodox church? If you ask most people why Satan fell, where he ended up, and what he 'believes' they will give you a Paradise Lost-esque answer.

I've already read The Master and Margarita and this was more in order with how I was thinking about the thread.

Thanks.

Ambrose Bierce. The Devil's Dictionary.

Adam's Apple: (n.) A protuberance on the throat of a man, thoughtfully provided by Nature to keep the rope in place.

Perelandra

Faust

Peterson has got me really interested in Set, the Egyptian origin of Satan, and I'm looking for a good book about him.

"Set or Seth is a god of the desert, storms, disorder, violence, and foreigners in ancient Egyptian religion. In Ancient Greek, the god's name is given as Sēth (Σήθ). Set had a positive role where he accompanies Ra on his solar boat to repel Apep, the serpent of CHAOS. Set had a vital role as a reconciled combatant. He was lord of the red (desert) land where he was the balance to Horus' role as lord of the black (soil) land.

In Egyptian mythology, Set is portrayed as the usurper who killed and mutilated his own brother Osiris. Osiris' wife Isis reassembled (remembered) Osiris' corpse and resurrected him long enough to conceive his son and heir Horus. Horus sought revenge upon Set, and the myths describe their conflicts. This Osiris myth is a prominent theme in Egyptian mythology."

The Castle in the Forest, by Norman Mailer

Arnold Friend

Devilman

While I don't have a book about Set exclusively, if you like the Jungian analysis of mythology (I figure if you're citing Peterson as an influence you might be generally open to it), then Neumann's "Origins and History of Consciousness" has a fair section dedicated just to the Egyptian mythologies, especially with regard to the Isis-Orisis-Set-Horus narrative. Peterson also gives it fair attention in Maps of Meaning. And finally, Eliade's History of Religious Ideas vol. 1 covers that in some part although not through the analytic psychological lense. And for that one you might as well just find a PDF and check out the section(s?) on Egypt since the book covers a whole hell of a lot more than that and so is only designated a chapter or two.

Paradise Lost
The Brothers Karamazov
The Mysterious Stranger (by Mark Twain)
Goethe's Faust
Marlowe's Dr. Faustus
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (arguably, fuck it)
Dante's Inferno
Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson by Gurdjieff (arguably the uniquest and most nuanced and most different one out of all these, since the devil is just portrayed as a wise old man who made a youthful foolish mistake in rebelling against God and repented from it, eventually becoming redeemed)
The Master and Margarita
Blood Meridian (kind of a meme admittedly, both in itself and in the meme that Judge Holden represents Satan, but still)

Like half of these were already said in the thread but I like putting a lot of good books in one post

Hadn't heard of the Gurdjieff so thanks for that, added it to my list.

My dad from my diary desu

nice list

>The Brothers Karamazov

What am l missing?

yadayadayada

>Because a galaxy far far away is actually hell.

>The Brothers Karamazov

U wot m8?