This is the most intelligent human being of the last 118 years

This is the most intelligent human being of the last 118 years

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sGJrFeGTK5k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I challenge that assertion. Tell me what have been his intellectual achievements that command such a high estimating of him from your part.

He pandered bullshit to catholics and died a millionaire who spread his esoteric hypermentalistic (even more so than Freud) psychoanalysis to every third world shithole through dogmatic politics while his patients kept killing themselves and his disciples interpreting the symbolic topological relation of every fart he ever had even after he got dementia and stopped talking altogether. If that's not brilliance then I don't care for it!

But seriously, I do like some Lacanian concepts (subject supposed to know, there is no sexual rapport, signifier-signified reversal etc.) and how far he took his chosen approaches (Hegel, Saussure, etc.), but at the end of the day he created a cult of can't-know-nuffins that have an answer for everything, but can't cure anything except personal neurotic delusions that don't require their paranoiac Oedipal / unconscious-linguistic approach to begin with.

The way they unironically say that every mental illness is the result of a free choice, but an unconscious one, should make us suspicious to begin with.

quality rage post

>

Literally kill yourself if you literally believe that, you fucking pathetic retard

Awww, user. You really need a warm loving cuddle.

youtube.com/watch?v=sGJrFeGTK5k

He really seems legit dumb

This is now a Derrida thread

Go to bed, Jordan.

Lacan was a manchild lol. He threw a fit when D&G were writing anti oedipe behind his back. I know a lacanian analyst (an actual one from Paris who studied under Lacan) and she's the most pretentious, death anxiety riddled person I know. This is the power of lacanian psychoanalysis.

What is this about Lacan and Catholicism?

it doesn't matter though, the point of psychoanalysis is not to make anyone's life better, just something something desire

>can't-know-nuffins that have an answer for everything
>they unironically say that every mental illness is the result of a free choice, but an unconscious one
have you even read anything by lacan

>people killed themselves

So?

Who Jordan

>D&G were writing anti oedipe behind his back
wow, I thought Dolce and Gabana just made ugly overpriced belts and stuff.

Lacan basically stole everything from Gombrowicz

What do you mean?

most of lacan's ideas were expropriated from Gombrowicz. Gombrowicz wrote way before lacan and you can substitute Gombrowicz's notions with Lacan's real and they say the exact same thing

Lacan very openly derived his cocnept of the real from Heidegger though

> have you even read anything by lacan

I was talking about his influence, not his own work, like I very precisely pointed out. As to whether this is just because Lacanians are too plebs for their master or not, I don't care. Although if you have an argument as to why these things they constantly spew go explicitly against Lacan's teachings, I'd honestly and unironically love to hear it and hope to change my opinion on the matter. But you probably won't reply.

Where in Gombrowicz's books can I read about these notions?

>implying I'm not smarter
nice try, op

One might assume that the clinic seeks to help patients (not "cure" since "health" doesn't apply that well to psychoanalysis fundamentally). If them killing themselves means that it worked, then I'd rather skip the middle man.

His concepts were named stuff like "Name-of-the-Father" and "Borromean knot" (literally that three circled symbol on the Catholic confessional box) and he wrote at length about mystics and their enjoyment, just to name some of the stuff.

Some people are weak and need help coming to a big decision like killing themselves.

Marshall McLuhan

*blocks your path*
not so fast litfags

Go away Logo

>Now he could make his sessions as short, and as expensive, as he liked. Even when they had contracted to a minute or two, he would often see his tailor, his pedicurist and his barber while conducting his analyses. In the final years, the process of shortening reached its natural conclusion in the "non-session", in which "the patient was not allowed either to speak or not to speak" as Lacan "had no time to waste on silence". With the help of non-sessions he averaged 80 patients a day in the penultimate year of his life. Non-sessions were perhaps an improvement on sessions, in which, disinhibited through dementia, he would indulge his bad temper, raging at patients and occasionally punching them or pulling their hair.

>The calamitous consequences of his style of doctoring were entirely predictable: his clients committed suicide at a rate that would have alarmed a man armed with less robust self-confidence. He claimed that it was due to the severity of the cases he took on but it may also have had something to do with the way he would start and stop analysis at whim and would sometimes cast aside, at very short notice, people who had been under his "care" for years. The brilliant ethnologist Lucien Sebag killed himself at 32 after having been been discharged abruptly from treatment - because Lacan wanted to sleep with Sebag's teenage daughter. Not that Dr Lacan was always so constrained by such exquisite moral scruples. He frequently chose his mistresses from his training analysts (who were additionally vulnerable because they relied on him for the pass necessary for them to practise as Lacanian analysts) and also from his ordinary analysands.

>On the principle of credo ut intelligam his disciples still believed him even when, in his last few years, he was manifestly suffering from multi-infarct dementia. He became obsessed by a particular mathematical figure called a Borromean knot, in which he saw the key to the unconscious, to sexuality and to the ontological situation of mankind. His quasi-mathematical, pseudo-logical fantasies - the culmination of the cargo cult science of his school - propounded in interminable seminars, were agonised over by his congregation who suffered appallingly from their inability to make sense of them. They felt unworthy of the Master. Even his episodes of aphasia, due to mini-strokes, were taken to be "interpretations", in the technical sense of conveying "the latent meaning of what the analysand has said and done". When, towards the end, he became deaf and his responses were even more disconnected from what was said to him, this occasioned protracted arguments among his followers over the meaning of his words and deeds. Even when, in his last year, Lacan's mind was entirely vacant, he was still brought to meetings "to legitimise what was being done in his name" and "suggestible people heard him speak through his silence".

based af

the chad psychiatrist

The greatest pseud ever existed?

Why the last 118 years specifically?

So this is the power of the French..

It's amazing how many of these figures developed actual cults like this. You keep expecting the incredulity of their followers to kick in, but then you realize all the healthily incredulous people were long gone. The weirdest shit is when you read books written by the people in that last paragraph, in the 90s and 2000s, still fucking talking about psychoanalysis.

Who is this?

Benny Hill?

>Lucien Sebag
His wiki page he killed himself after *he* fell in love with Lacan's daughter.

I'd like to imagine both accounts are true, and Lacan asked Sebag to fuck his daughter as revenge.

Michael Jordan

>This is the most intelligent human being of the last 118 years
Why didn't you post Ed Witten OP?

fucking triggered me

terence tao

did he physically manhandle Zizek and slap him around for days? that would explain a lot

How do you even understand his stuff in the first place? Baffles me.

The shah of Iran was cool but l’m more of an ayatollah guy myself

But thats Phil Leotardo

>

There was a group of Right-Lacanians that attended his lectures, most of them priests. Zizek sometimes mentions them in his more serious books.

Lacan is one of the few thinkers I have absolutely no interest in reading. Everything about him just reeks of fraud.

kill yourself

That's not Jordan B. Peterson

Neumann is much Math Tier for this board full of fucking continentals that refuse cientific knowledge

literal kike who stole all his ideas from goyim in order to promote himsef

math isn't scientific knowledge in the empirical sense

What does he say about them?

he took all his ideas from Norbert Wiener though

why are neumannfags so clueless?

>who is von neumann

since nietzsche died i guess
and he's right about that bit at least

>another kike
is everyone here a brainwashed amerimutt? jews aren't that smart

absolutely based

This.

But Heidegger is the most intelligent human being since Aristotle.

All french philosophy could disappear and nothing of too much value would be lost. Even their very best philosopher, Derrida, is mostly useless if you have read Heidegger and Wittgenstein.

> he hasn't heard about Gills the Loser and his Guitar

Based as fuck

>postmodernist
>smart
>continental philosophy
>smart

memes aside, lacan is not post-structuralist

i dont care what you think lacan is or what lacan says he is, because you are all liars. your entire epistemology is an elaborate justification for being a liar.

never said lacan wasn't shit, just that you are just a bugman repeating meaningless words he hears on the internet to feel like you are part of something

Shut up you big meanie caca poopoo head!

Hard to determine if he was the most intelligent person, but this thread proves that Veeky Forums deserves the title of the least intelligent place of the last 118 years

Would post which actually think that this thread is about whoever is the smartest person of the last 118 years, rather than just shitposting about Lacan, count as bringing down the average by about 100% ?

Does Lacan have anything worthwhile to say? The ISR triad seems fairly useful in film criticism and such, but all the matheme / faux-topology shit reeks of charlatanism

he is a structuralist.

>because Lacan wanted to sleep with Sebag's teenage daughter.
It was the other way around, Sebag fell in love with Lacan's daughter. Sebag was 32 at the time of his death, and I can find no information whatsoever that he had children.

Makes more sense than Lacan wanting to date his patient's underage daughter, but you never know with these types. Zizek's ex-wife, a model who was the daughter of a South American psychoanalyst, was named Analia. So nothing surprises me these days.

>implying it wasn't pic related or William Gass
zozzle

Kosmos is his best imo