Is there a spookier horror subgenre than lovecraftian horror?

Is there a spookier horror subgenre than lovecraftian horror?

I know I'll trigger a lot of special broflakes with this, but surprise, Lovecraft isn't some sort of golden standard of horror nor is he even a decent writer. His themes are of the most disgusting origin and I don't see how it's even possible his work is still published, let alone revered by men with little knowledge of what it is meant. Oftentimes you'll notice that these same people don't look much deeper into the themes displayed, but rather present a fetishism towards the bestiary he has created, which, although not as baffling as those who legitimately appreciate his work due to its racists themes, is still quite odd considering how shallow his description of the creatures is. They're so commonly portrayed as meat balls with tentacles and nothing more. After you read maybe two of his descriptions you have read them all, there is no variety to the Lovecraftian bestiary nor in shape or behaviour, they're all extraterrestrial strawmen used to deal with Howard's biggest fear: Other people!

That's right, shocking as it may be to some of you broflakes, Lovecraft was a racist. Not just a "mild racist" as his apologists often present, but a complete nutjob who saw everyone different than him as horrifying. The entire foundation of fear within his story is simply put, racism and xenophobia but to the extreme, to the point it may deceive the reader that they're acceptable. Disgusting? Yes! Surprising? No.

Notice how every single one of his stories is about a conflict against the unknown and how malicious this unknown is portrayed, to the point that it clearly shows how big, yet silly, Lovecraft's fear of foreign cultures and other races was.

If you could open your eyes for just a second and see how the Lovecraftian mythos and its enthusiasts are dominated by racist white males, then you won't even need to read Lovecraft's stories to come to this conclusion. It's just a silly cult to xenophobia, which is more scary in itself than in any of the stories it has spawned (which by the way, are all mediocre at best).

Lovely photo of you

Clive Barker.
Start with "Books of Blood", an anthology.

It's lovecraft if he was more gorey... and gay. Also has the same style of a hapless person stumbling onto a hidden disturbing world within our own.

The most horrifying book.

new pasta? this made the left temple hurt a lot, you have a talent for feigning stupidity

This minus the race stuff,

>be extremely autistic racist
>become khazar milf mommy's goytoy
this is my fantasy

Ligottian corporate horror

any form of psych horror in a modern setting is far more scarier

Is there any horror that's bleak without being tense and anxious?

Everything I've read is either so safe it's dull, or nerve-racking it practically induces tachycardia.

I think gothic fiction is what I was looking for.

I've read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but that's urban gothic like Dorian Grey. I'm looking more for books like Dracula and Phantom of the Opera.

Try Frankenstein?

8/10 bait

Thanks I think I will read that

I think Lovecraft created a brand of horror that had to do with terror beyond our comprehension, outside the familiar system of restraining, and regulating, that which may frighten, or threaten us.

It opened up an avenue for the genre to move away from spooky monsters/gore, to unspeakable evil, a presence itself that induces unholy panic, and a sheer sense of dread, that makes you wish you could have had your eyes shut from the moment you saw it.

Rather than the traditional ghosts and ghoulies of old, think of it more like a glimpse into the abyss, feeling an unnatural fear run up your spine, before you ever figured out if there was anything there to be afraid of in the first place. Your heart jumps into your throat and your eyes widen in awe of a guttural, disembodied bellow that shakes the blood in your veins and ground below your feet.

If ghosts and the sort hadn't been overused, they would have similar effects. Proof: kids and the dark.

bump

horror of the mundane.

>Be afraid of something
>Decide to express that fear through writing
How is this bad?

Has anyone unironically gotten scared whilst reading Lovecraft? For me his work always seemd either dull or nostalgic. Maybe its beacause of desensitization thanks to modern games and cinema, but I hardly comprehend why everyone seems bent on calling his works ''Horror''

Try Anna Kavan's Asylum Piece. Another user recommended Kavan to me in a stack thread, and I wasn't disappointed.

I've recently read Hypnos, Polaris and Nyarlathotep. Hypnos I found genuinely scary, the end of Polaris was quite uncanny and Nyarlathotep was also quite spooky (once I made sense of the tangled sentences).

I like the story where he stands guard against the impending yellow menace.
I'm racist.

Man, nothing portrays Lovecraft's stories worse than the Arkham Horror-Boardgames

I've been watching Night Mind videos on horror ARGs and Webseries.

No matter how well a book is written, it just isn't a medium that can ever live up to how asshole clenchingly terrifying a proper, multi-media horror experience is.

I love books, but they're just not horrifying, because any horror is filtered though the words.

In a well-made horror experience? You are included in the story, as a character, watching this happening, and trying to figure out what's going on. Growing horror. Realizing something is terribly, terribly wrong, but not knowing what, yet. A book just can't compete.

>outsourcing your judgement to political correctness
holy shit fucking think open mindedly without your bullshit moralising ressentiment for a single second.

I coudnt even finish the 1st one.

My diary desu

Guy masturbating in the translucent ghost house? That was just a set up for the other stories. But to each his own.

There was a short excerpt from something about a black spider as a symbol for terror. Something about it crawling inside your shirt in broad daylight and being brought to despair. Was that Ligotti?

Lovecraftian horror is, on the whole, remarkably banal and underwhelming.

>Guys, did you ever think about how friggin big space is? Like, we're so insignificant in the grand scheme of things
>And then a monster jumped out! Oh, so scared was I that I can't even bring myself to describe it to you, you'll just have to believe me! It was really scary!

And so on.

Toasting in ebin bread

Whats a good anthology of Lovecrafts works? I want to get into his stuff

Google around a little bit, people have compiled epub files of his entire literary output.

Is The Cask of Amontillado horror? Read that kind of stuff

But books can be really good at building suspense.

this rules

suspense and horror aren't the same thing, though. suspense can be really well done, but it's not the same thing. Horror is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not funny.

Like, if you're watching some webseries, and it's shot as they usually are, as some kind of amateur film project, and the camera gets jostled around and there's a white face reflected in a window for a fraction of a second as it focuses back on the characters. That's a pretty basic example, but it is used so much because it works so well. It's something you can't quite identify, someplace it shouldn't be, seen so quick you can almost convince yourself it wasn't really there, so you rewind to make sure, and yeah, there is something there, wHAT IS THAT? It's not mentioned by anyone else in the video, there is no explanation given, the "posters" probably didn't even notice it.

That's this huge process you go through. How could that possibly be conveyed through text? Even if the author describes it, or comments on it, that's too much information already. It's already being filtered. The horror comes from the mystery. You can't "accidentally" see something in the background of a book.

I wasn't trying to say suspense and horror are the same thing, although the horror genre does use a lot of suspense, it isn't the suspense itself that is what is usually scary.

>Lovecraft was a racist
yes, and?

I know I'll trigger a lot of special broflakes with this, but surprise, Lovecraft isn't some sort of golden standard of horror nor is he even a decent writer. His themes are of the most disgusting origin and I don't see how it's even possible his work is still published, let alone revered by men with little knowledge of what it is meant. Oftentimes you'll notice that these same people don't look much deeper into the themes displayed, but rather present a fetishism towards the bestiary he has created, which, although not as baffling as those who legitimately appreciate his work due to its racists themes, is still quite odd considering how shallow his description of the creatures is. They're so commonly portrayed as meat balls with tentacles and nothing more. After you read maybe two of his descriptions you have read them all, there is no variety to the Lovecraftian bestiary nor in shape or behaviour, they're all extraterrestrial strawmen used to deal with Howard's biggest fear: Other people!

That's right, shocking as it may be to some of you broflakes, Lovecraft was a racist. Not just a "mild racist" as his apologists often present, but a complete nutjob who saw everyone different than him as horrifying. The entire foundation of fear within his story is simply put, racism and xenophobia but to the extreme, to the point it may deceive the reader that they're acceptable. Disgusting? Yes! Surprising? No.

Notice how every single one of his stories is about a conflict against the unknown and how malicious this unknown is portrayed, to the point that it clearly shows how big, yet silly, Lovecraft's fear of foreign cultures and other races was.

If you could open your eyes for just a second and see how the Lovecraftian mythos and its enthusiasts are dominated by racist white males, then you won't even need to read Lovecraft's stories to come to this conclusion. It's just a silly cult to xenophobia, which is more scary in itself than in any of the stories it has spawned (which by the way, are all mediocre at best).

>That's right, shocking as it may be to some of you broflakes, Lovecraft was a racist. Not just a "mild racist" as his apologists often present, but a complete nutjob who saw everyone different than him as horrifying. The entire foundation of fear within his story is simply put, racism and xenophobia but to the extreme, to the point it may deceive the reader that they're acceptable. Disgusting? Yes! Surprising? No.
Honestly, I have never had a greater hatred of Americans.

read down and out in paris and london by orwell. Its not horror but you get the same feel

Stop with this copy and paste shit.