Does it affect your appreciation of their work when you find out an author was retarded IRL?

Does it affect your appreciation of their work when you find out an author was retarded IRL?

Yeats was a true gentleman and most certainly /ourguy/.

Yes, but positively. Yeats is a particular favorite

>lost his virginity at the age of 29 according to Marjorie Perloff
>atrocious student
>family thought he was mentally disabled
>eugenicist with fascist sympathies
>literally believed in ghosts
>rejected on four separate occasions by the same woman

He's an inspiration to idiots everywhere

No, he was the SUPREME gentleman.

Lol had no idea, going to read him ASAP

>rejected on four separate occasions by the same woman

And then also by her daughter!

/ourguy/

I-s staying a virgin until your late 20s considered pathetic?

What makes me laugh is that he was actually about as weird/off/retarded as can be without being put in a facility, but his poetry is some of the most precise and moving material of the past 100 years. There have been a ton of """academics""" who form mediocre groups (many of the modernists, Black Mountain idiots, LANGUAGE poet idiots, etc.) and ton of famous loner self promoters who spent their entire lives chasing the platonic ideal of "Poetry" to the point of oblivion (in their art and in their personal lives)... who still will never be as quoted, as loved, nor as talented as a literal retard who had to be told to chew his food before swallowing and to change his clothes before bed.

Only outside Veeky Forums

>[Auden's] elegy on Yeats, while not exactly warm, presents Yeats as a great man; but in a strange essay published in the year of Yeats death, ‘The Public Prosecutor’ says, In 1900 he believed in fairies; that was bad enough; but in 1930 we are confronted with the pitiful, the deplorable spectacle of a grown man occupied with the mumbo-jumbo of magic and the nonsense of India

>>lost his virginity at the age of 29 according to Marjorie Perloff
how? say what you want about him but you can't deny that he was one handsome dude

He was really into his oneitis and she kept rejecting him saying it was her duty to do so because if he were happy his poetry would suffer. LMAO.

>In 1900 he believed in fairies
The author of those detective sherlock holms stories did also believe in that and defended it in public

By the way, this is the lady he was so obsessed with:

>In the mid-1890s, Maud Gonne became the lover of a French anarchist editor, Lucien Millevoye; she bore him a child, who died in infancy; and she decided to assist the baby’s reincarnation by sleeping with Millevoye in the vault under the dead child’s grave.

to normies it's pathetic if you lose it after like 16. According to most surveys, the average age is about 18 for men (and obviously lower for women), so 16 would be for the attractive, or black, teenage boys. Many of us here didn't hit our peak until later in life physically, though to be fair many people here probably haven't hit it at all if they're here, and if they stay in this shithole board they may never have a peak.

That aside, why would you wait so long to have sex? Having sex is easy even for ugly motherfuckers. Religious reasons don't make sense because nobody marries that late in life (especially religious abstainers, they marry at like 19 to get their fuckstick balls deep in "It-happened-while-I-was-doing-gymnastics-while-horseback-riding-Virgin" gash) and if it's not a choice, then try harder, because you're the problem.

t. I lost mine at 20 and feel like I missed out even though I have a lot of unprotected sex now, the feeling will never go away and you'll be haunted by it even if you can't admit it

iirc he had some grandiose term for it like "the artist's malady" when some younger writer asked him for advice with women. He framed it like like he was saving himself for Maud Gonne, but he was terribly shy for just about the entirety of his early adulthood

Marjorie Perloff talks about it in the Yeats episode of Entitled Opinions if you're curious

Is he right???

Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain and they never dream
That it fades from kiss to kiss,
For everything that's lovely is,
But a brief and dreamy kind delight.
No never give your heart outright.
For they for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to to the play.
And who can play it well enough?
If deaf and dumb and blind with love.
He who wrote this knows all the cost.
For he gave his heart and lost.

he was a silver fox, he looked pretty distinguished as a 50+ year old, but he was a very offputting looking young man. Google "young wb yeats" and flip through the pictures. There is a mix of ones where he's old and when he's young. He looks like he's from revenge of the nerds as a young man. As an mid-aged adult he looks like a handsome quirky professor

Huh, is Yeats biography anygood? Is he like Pound where you have to know his life to really get his poetry?

>Is he like Pound where you have to know his life to really get his poetry?
You have to know that he's Irish and that Irish people come from Ireland and that Ireland is green and shit

Are you the guy posting all these facys about him?
What is you reference, I am finding these very interesting and I would like to read more, user, your comments are making me really curious, bro.
Bio

What a legend

Hily shiy im off to buy his worjs ty bsed lit .an

>
>I-s staying a virgin until your late 20s considered pathetic

Im about 38 and virgin its no biggie once you are emotioanally dead inside and have spent 12 years without friends or senpai

I mean I doubt he had an intellectual disability of any sort, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to even form sentences. Something tells me he might have just grown up with some sort of mental disorder, maybe severe depression and general emotional issues causing him to lose touch.

>I mean I doubt he had an intellectual disability of any sort
he actually did have dyslexia

WTF I love Keats now

That's a learning disability, not an intellectual disability. I even doubt if Yeats's IQ scores were posted here they would matter since mental disorders more often than not impact your scores. We need to stop thinking of Yeats as a total drooling cretin

Holy shit, if I were older this would nearly be me in a biography, only I'm not as poor of a student as Yeats was

Anybody read this? I picked it up recently and haven't started it yet.

>Is he like Pound where you have to know his life to really get his poetry?
Knowledge of his biography definitely contributes to my appreciation for his work. Many of his poems feature direct references to his personal life and were written explicitly for people in his immediate social circle. If you're going to start reading him I'd highly recommend an annotated collection (the Norton anthology is really good)

It's some of the best prose I've ever read in my life. Absolutely fantastic.

>people shitting on Yeats for his spirit beliefs
it's like you faggots don't even into basic magick. The guy was an occultist.

>Knowledge of his biography definitely contributes to my appreciation for his work. Many of his poems feature direct references to his personal life and were written explicitly for people in his immediate social circle. If you're going to start reading him I'd highly recommend an annotated collection (the Norton anthology is really good)
which bio do u suggest, user?

Roy Foster's is generally considered the definitive one

>according to Marjorie Perloff
mrs. "we need to le MAKE THINGS NEW like pound did again lmfao so let's look at shitty language poetry and study it for indeterminacy patterns"

What about Ellmann's? His Joyce's biography was pretty great.

Keep in mind the intent behind much of what he wrote. He was a playwright/poet that significantly contributed to congealing Irish nationalism prior to the rising. Constance Markievicz received an inopportune guest while making preparations for actual violence. Thinking that they were rehearsing for a play, the guest asked, "Is it for children?" Constance responded, "No. It's for grownups." Read Lady Gregory's works while you are at it.

You need to understand that The Famine was worlds too far to bear and that The Rising was manifest destiny. I do not personally care for a lot of his work. I am unimportant. The fact of the case is that I was not his audience. He helped to build a unified Ireland through his writing that never existed before British rule.

Add: Eleven Plays published by Collier. You can probably get it for a dollar.

I skipped the whole biographical route and studied the political setting in which he wrote.

The man knew how to write a fucking poem.