Are the so-called "Chiraq Savages" of today the closest people we have to Homer's heroes that we have today?

Are the so-called "Chiraq Savages" of today the closest people we have to Homer's heroes that we have today?

>live in economically disadvantaged backwaters that are largely ignored by those who are more wealthy
>extremely concerned with honor, status, fame
>very concerned with how many women they have, and in particular how envious other men are of them for the specific women that they have
>engage in violence for disputes involving pride, money, women
>record their exploits in rhythmic, seemingly formulaic oral compositions (rap music) (see Perry's oral-formulaic hypothesis... apparently there have been papers examining the link between this and rap music going back to the 90s at least)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B7efqxKSeO0
youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unironically I’m friends with a bunch of people that used to run in those circles and they’re some of the best fiends I have.

They’re just a lot more chill and fun to be around.

>Cars are chariots
>Guns are bows and arrows
>Project apts are Trojan forts

is Chief Keef a modern-day Odysseus?

youtube.com/watch?v=B7efqxKSeO0

now write an epic hip-hopera and roll in the money and bitches

i saw a lecture from prof kagan (great classics scholar) at yale (its on yale open courseware) where he says that the chariots used by greeks were basically used in a way comparable to so-called "drive-by" shootings, and even makes that exact comparison.

Hector was actually worried about not being part of his son's life.

>Rappers can't be good fathers

Coolio's "Gangster's Paradise" always struck me as a perfect summation of the background to Romeo and Juliet.
To add to your last point, the Norse also engaged in flyting which was basically lyrical battles.

But I think most of your points describe primitive humanity in general, with the trials of youth to manhood and what not. I think that, in America, the lack of a strong and ancient cultural identity drives people to unconsciously recreate these primitive rituals in order to create some sort of understandable order to the world and themselves, even if the end result is tragically ignorant and destructive. I feel like a lot of the old rap, hip-hop, and poor African-American youth culture was an attempt to do this (and early gangs even started out as youth clubs because they had nowhere to go, such as the Boy Scouts). I think, nowadays, It's mostly a soulless imitation of the older generation.
But I suppose that could be said for all people.

I have thought about it while watching The Wire, imagine the whole chronicle of a neighborhood the stories you would hear and the sort of slang they use.

Of course they are. They even practice libation, like the ancient Greeks.

>Hip-hopera
Lel. Sadly I am but a poor white male from a rural background and my knowledge is too surface level to pass as street.

>comparing rap and hood "culture" to greek epics

I thought Veeky Forums was a smart board

Well Montana of 300, aside from being wildly inconsistent in quality, has the highest peaks of rap as poetry, so maybe.

>youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0

It is true that you could very easily fit a guy beat boxing into the rhythm of the Iliad

gangbanging blacks aren't fun at all, it's a boring, violent culture. Chill black schizo homeless people are bro tier though.
>tfw very few friends first two years of college, spent hours walking around Baltimore chilling with random homeless peeps to avoid existential loneliness

contd. I'm pretty sure I actually owe my life to these fuckers.
>tfw extremely depressed during finals weeks b/c exam stress and oneitis
>homeless guy comes up to me asks for money
>give him dollar + cig
>he tells me I'm a good person and that god is looking out for me
>use that to boost ego and avoid anheroing

>gangbanging blacks aren't fun at all, it's a boring, violent culture.
like the greeks of the heroic age

You could wear blackface.

Close. Its actually an Evolan Mannerbund
>Loyalty is the basis of their honour
>Close knit male martial society
>Hierarchy based on nobility
>Disregards wom*n
>Requires initiation and proofs of loyalty
Reminder that in 1989 the Bloods made Evola an honourary member

i would imagine that all of the more barbarous people have these traits to an extent, even ones without a connection to european culture.

yes, yes he is. In fact he is better than the original.

>Reminder that in 1989 the Bloods made Evola an honourary member
Sauce?