I've started writing a Caribbean pirate story...

I've started writing a Caribbean pirate story, but except for PotC I have literally 0 knowledge about 17th/18th century pirates

Please recommend me some literature/movies/other media that could educate me, or even inspire me to write a better story

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199730414/obo-9780199730414-0077.xml?rskey=8pSIbU&result=3&q=pirates#firstMatch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

robert louis stevenson

You should probably read a shit ton on the history of the era before you write a historical fiction novel that takes place in said era. That's just me though.

What are some recommended history books on that era

>start writing a story
>it's about pirates in the Caribbean
>my only knowledge on the subject comes from Pirates of the Caribbean

I'm confused on how you got started writing on such a specific topic without any substantial knowledge about it. You watched a Disney movie. At the moment, would your writing be considered fan fiction?

Don't think too much about it

Yes

Historically it's a gritty existence of crews made up mostly of ignorant boys who were pressed into a war by privateers and the British army during a legitimate war, but afterwards had no skills except war so they continued small, petty raids for subsistence items like food and medicine. Only a few captains got rich without dying and that was because they manipulated large crews of men by embezzling funds with a small circle of accomplices that rightfully belonged to the whole crew. They would make off in a smaller ship and fuck the the other crew in the larger, slower ship right up the symbolic ass.

>I.e. Joseph kony with white ppl on a boat.

Exquemelin's Pirates of Panama
General History of the Pyrates
both are on project gutenberg

Thank you, just what I needed

I've started writing a story about the mongol invasion of China, but except for Mulan I have literally 0 knowledge about China.

Please recommend me some literature/movies/other media that could educate me, or even inspire me to write a better story

Geez, don't have to be such a dick about it

Is Joseph Kony a real person? I thought he was entirely made up by that guy to get everyone to pay attention to him long enough to fulfil his public masturbation fantasy.

Mulan II

On Stranger Tides bu Tim Powers

yes the movies used the name and a couple of plot points, but the book is from the 80s and otherwise its own thing. Well written for pulp adventure, it does contain supernatural elements and made up shit but overall the pirate atmosphere is rich.

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier

Non of the light hearted swashbuckling scallywag stuff you get in most pirate stories. Not even set in the Caribbean. Good but grimdark.

And you don't have to come here like some slathering retard asking questions that are easily answered by Google, yet here we are.

Literally a 30 second google search
But yeah, he amassed a rather large child army in the aftermath of the second congo war and pestered the Ugandans for a while
By 2012 he was just another wanted warcriminal
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony

>Please recommend me some literature/movies/other media that could educate me,

if you're this stupid don't write historical fiction in the first place lol.

Try a YA Pirates of the Carribean style coming of age fantasy instead.

This. You know nothing about the subject and obviously have nothing to say, so just go for the lowest common denominator and shoot for the big bux.

Just write about some merchant's daughter (so not really poor, but not really rich either) who's a free spirit and who's parents just don't understand (ugh) so she sneaks down to the tavern by the docks to live vicariously. Her father finds out, there's a big blowout fight and she runs away, disguising herself as a boy and signing on to the next ship heading out of port. Bonus points if she met an older (But only like 20 at the MAX) boy at the tavern earlier who's smolderingly attractive, brooding and aloof (Guess who's on the ship?)

She's obviously a natural at everything on the boat, from sailing to swashbuckling, and you can even throw in some awkward, teenage comedy about her pretending to be a dude. Extra bonus points if you throw in some slightly homoerotic flirting with aforementioned brooding hunk.

Then some big boarding action happens, she gets wounded (while doing something totally badass and heroic, like taking a pistol shot for the captain) and she's discovered as a woman, but by this point she's such an integral part of the crew that all is forgiven and she's accepted (take that misogyny!). Cue actual romance between our heroine and the hunk, but it's tainted since he feels betrayed and confused. (Save the actual romance for the inevitable sequel, of course.)

Extra, extra bonus points if you throw in some vague Voodoo magic and make her the key to it. Some sort of prophecy or something, I'm not writing your entire book for you here. Have the book end with her having some sort of wicked cool spirit powers that is hinted at throughout the book, and her somehow saving the entire crew from certain doom.

Bam. There you go.

Holy shit

also a scholarly list

oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199730414/obo-9780199730414-0077.xml?rskey=8pSIbU&result=3&q=pirates#firstMatch

under the black flag is really good too btw

and if you want to follow advice, read Captain Blood by Sabatini and Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton or just play Assassins Creed 4

Cities of the Red Night involves a group of radical pirates who seek the freedom to live under the articles set out by Captain James Misson. In near present day, a parallel story follows a detective searching for a lost boy, abducted for use in a sexual ritual.

The plot follows a nonlinear course through time and space. It imagines an alternate history in which Captain James Misson's Libertatia lives on. His way of life is based on The Articles, a general freedom to live as one chooses, without prejudice. The novel is narrated from two different standpoints; one set in the 18th century which follows an eccentric group of pirate boys led by Noah Blake, who land in Panama to liberate it. The other is set in the late 20th century, and follows a detective tracing the disappearance of an adolescent boy. There is a lot of rape and violence.