Is it true I can master lit by skipping every other book and just reading Shakespeare

Is it true I can master lit by skipping every other book and just reading Shakespeare

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B-bk1qugYmo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why are you looking for shortcuts to mastery?

Who?

Because I am above the bottom feeding community college students who roam this board.

clearly not

lmao, community college cuck detected. You are either lazy, stupid, or both.

The Bible, Homer and Shakespeare are all you truly need. There lots of other great stuff though.

No

truly this

The hero worship of Shakespeare has reached absurd levels.
With each passing generation, as literacy wanes, blind idolatry waxes.

>t. shakespeare neverread

Verily, my good sir, as the apple doest fall from the tree, so too must your accuity depart from the masters if it is to gain purpose.

I stick with Wild Bill Shakespeare for fishing trips and nunneries. But when it comes to mastering lit, I oft quoth from the honorable Brad Turner: youtube.com/watch?v=B-bk1qugYmo

>t. read 1 book and declared it the beginning and end of literature in order to rationalize his inadequacy of learning

Its unironically better you read Shakespeare than half the English Canon than vice versa

>reading Shakespeare

This. You should be performing him yourself so you really understand the characters

daily reminder that only ethnic actors can channel the vibrant passion of shakespearean characters.
reading shakespeare is the only option until our society is less white

Is it still confrimation bias if you mimic the inductive reasoning of someone impartial?

Confirmation bias is a meme to trick brainlets

Neon Genesis Evangelion unironically has more depth than any and all of Shakespeare's works.

bardolatry was at it's height in the romantic period.

I hate bards. Theyre so slick with women, they make them wet and horny on command.

The manga done by Sadamoto is irredeemable trash, though.

Shakespeare is unironically shit

Shakespeare is God tier poet, and anybody who disagrees is paeud

great stuff, really insightful, just why i come to Veeky Forums

you're better off reading Shakespeare and the KJV and a few poets than a million mediocre novels

reddit, the person

Who would be the few other poets?

private research schools > community colleges > ivy league > > > > > > > > HS > GRE > state school midwits

I would say Shakespeare is a fucking solid intro to Lit, but this is coming from someone who only reads fiction for fun.

That being said, taking the time to read and fully understand a Shakespeare play makes watching it far more enjoyable. I actually laughed watching Midsummer Night's Dream

Not him but Milton is a good choice. Maybe Walt Whitman.

Homer
Dante
Blake
Milton
Stevens (obligatory modern pick)

THIS

>Homer
Yes.
>Dante
Yes, but the trouble is, you lose so much if you don't read him in Italian.
> Milton
Just Paradise Lost.
> Blake
There are many people you should take a look at without necessarily being totally comprehensive. Blake is one, but so are Keats, Browning, Emily Dickinson et al.

> Stevens (o.m.p.)
If I could save only a single book of poetry from the 20th century it would be a coin-flip between Dylan Thomas' Collected Poems and Ted Hughes' Crow. But I bet there would be votes for Yeats, Eliot, Pound, Auden, etc. Hard to say who from the recent past is really going to endure.

One important writer no-one at all has mentioned is Chaucer (but perhaps he means more to people in the UK than in America. The Wife of Bath from the Canterbury Tales is one of the best characters in all of literature, though.)

What about Virgil
Wouldn't you need to learn homeric greek to really appreciate the repetition/formula homer utilizes throughout his works to allow insight into the characters and juxtapose certain events?
I just don't feel like you get all that much out of reading lattimores english translation.