Post your novel ideas. It's not like they're going anywhere

Post your novel ideas. It's not like they're going anywhere.

I'm working on a fantasy novel I've been "developing" since I was 10
I keep scrapping it and reworking it completely, but the nations and characters always remain the same
It's gotten to the point where I'm planning something massive in scope. I don't know if I'll ever actually finish it. But I really want to.

A man achieves something remarkable by his own just moral standards and also by the consensus standards of the greeks, romans, and medieval times. However, his contemporaries do not recognize his achievement because they are occupied with their own lives and act mostly unconsciously but also consciously in a self-serving, self-centered manner that permeates their perception. What follows is a deep meditation on the nature of good and of doing good without asking for reward.

No, someone here will steal it.

Okay, here's the idea. The working title is 'Grok: La fleur qu'elle a prise'.
>An ogre named Grok the Pungent lives in a stinky swamp, where he is treated like garbage by a Chad-esque knight who regularly poaches his mud hens
>One day, he is collecting firewood on the forest's edge when he sees the princess of the kingdom of Trulippia visiting the nearby village of Dundleweir
>He falls in love with her and stalks her
>He breaks into the royal palace and is horrified to discover her sleeping with the Chad-esque knight
>He kills them both and becomes a fugitive
>As he flees further into the wilderness, his surroundings become more and more otherworldly, and eventually creepy
>Eventually his vision fades to black
>A description is given of Grok impaled in a vision of Hell, with the quote "And if thy hand scandalize thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life, maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into unquenchable fire"
>The final chapter describes a man dead in a car crash, with a small Grok doll hanging from his rear view mirror

After an airborne Strain of the Ebola virus wipes out the Native population of Zimbabwe, a group of white settlers try to make New Rhodesia a paradise on earth. (Unfortunately the chinks show up)

I unironically really like this

Writing general thread? Writing general thread.
12,000 words into the second draft, or half way through the fifth (non-sequential) chapter. The first nine are all emotional stuff and I'm finding it quite painful to write. I am sitting at my keyboard and bleeding. Looking forward to redrafting the much longer part where I use humour as a coping mechanism.

Fun concept but I wouldn't use the name "Grok", it has connotations.

What connotations do you mean?

It's a word Heinlein used in Stranger that was then popularised by hippy culture and is still in use in programming. If you want to refer to those things in some way then fine but if it's just supposed to be a meaningless guttural name like Shrek then you might want to pick something else.

Continuation of >TL;DR
Group of friends in a Midwest town suffering a slow and derelict death face a monster driving them to suicide by robbing them of their memory and identity

>With regards to building this story
In your opinion, what would be the critical mass of the group of friends?
That is what is the best number of character to embody the archetypes of the American society?

The goal is to build a relation between any reader and the character that most fit them, all of this while not suffering from over-complexity and lack of character development.

At the moment, I think the number is six.

SOME BODY ONCE TOLD ME

I've had this idea for a series of short stories in a wonderland kind of surreal setting. The short stories would all be tied by by exploring different aspects and effects of the internet. An example:
>mc goes to a school
>there are no teachers, no need because the students "teach each other"
>students are expected to ask and answer questions
>if you answer wrong your slapped, told the "right" answer, and asked the question again
>if the class can choose to send you to detention
>it's a room with a textbook with "all the knowledge you will ever need to know"
>way out of the school is opening the doors that look externally locked and guarded and just walking out

All I really need now is an overarching story/plot I can shove in because I love it when things interconnect.

Don't aim for archetypes, just concentrate on having a few characters you're capable of writing well. You're sinking into that reddit writer's trap of thinking you can write a good story around a didactic framework. Maybe some people can but most people fail this way. Just write a good story using whatever works best, then later you can analyse your own writing and tweak it to be whatever you want. But starting off with archetypes is likely to make it feel totally empty and soulless, like people who are trying to use the hero's journey as a template.

I hate this image. What the fuck is that thing? I hate it.

The story of andelusionak wannabe internet celeb, attempting to make it big as a webcomic artist, only to slowly have his dreams crushed as people mock him and he realizes he's noone special.

I hate this image. What the fuck is that? I hate it

His small sarcastic eyes; his long nose; his sparsely toothed smugness; he is hated; what is he? He is hated.

The tapir peers around the tree
yes
YES
The idea is his

Basically APotAYM but worse and contemporary and concerned with irony and technology.

>but the nations and characters
Yeah that sounds like GOT garbage, I'll pass.

Gritty Shrek reboot

Has an alien postcolonialism parallel novel ever been done yet? I googled but only got muh voices of color writing about goony nerd shit. I wanna write something about colonialism that isn't tinged with harpy anti-racism or white supremacy, something more impartial on the matter

guy falls in love with a trap

>Dude and friend go to washington woods bigfoot hunting
>Bring camera's and shit to try and track it
>Their rv gets fucked up and weird shit starts happening
Think of something close to the literary equivalent of a found footage style horror movie
>More weird creepy shit goes down as they go deeper into woods
>Find a researcher one day
>works for the government
>They come across an abandoned Bigfoot camp
>basically revealed theyre essentially peaceful creatures (at least no worse than humans)
>Their habitat is disappearing thanks to humans
>They're slowly going extinct
Basically it sucks in a wide pool of millennials with the horror premise and ends up having a narrative related to environmentalism.

Funny thing is I'm not even a liberal.

I liked this, have a (you), friend

A group of white supremacists find a last refuge in the PR department for a toothpaste company

Would read

It sounds a bit boring. Maybe it's because you described your horror setting with "weird creepy shit". Might as well throw "spooky" into the mix for maximum generic. Also what's the relation between bigfoot and the horror stuff? Or is it just there to bait people?

>Epistolary format, story is told through newspaper clippings, letters, journal entries, etc.
>An apocalyptic event wipes out majority of the population
>Novel mostly takes place some ten years later, focusing on a small group of survivors and their interactions with other survivors through letters, radio transcripts, journals and so on.
>The reader must uncover a mystery through the first person accounts by which the story is told.

It's just there to bait people yeah. Get people to read because of the scary shit premise.

There'll be unsettling things happening, but nothing that will give the reader any explicit information, and instead leave a lot of it up to their imagination. More atmosphere than "le spooky monster jumps out."

But, it'll all be explained and subverted when it's revealed they're just intelligent creatures like us who are both inquisitive and also want to protect their home.

I originally wrote it as a screenplay but I don't have the type of budget to pull it off myself lol.

lmao that sounds fantastic

>slipping multilingual puns into the text just because it amuses me

>The final chapter describes a man dead in a car crash with a small Grok doll hanging from his rear view mirror
Hahaha wtf fuck this is so good.

yes, hatred...

A teenage girl is raped. She is haunted by the intense orgasm she has and goes rape baiting, chasing that sexual high in secret. Her worlds collide when a new teacher was one of the guys that fucked her, and she starts to crumble when she is dragged deeper into depravity, getting. recruited into a sex ring, and fucked by her own father in a masked gang bang. It ends with her pregnant with her father's sperm and running away, hitching a ride with a trucker by sucking his dick.

get help

A man in a coma has bizzare, vivid dreams that slowly reveal his life's history, and he eventually begins to realize he will never stop dreaming. The fact that he is dreaming and in a coma is given immediately, and not used as some lame twist.

Only interesting is given as an allegory to our lives

I wanna write something but I'm kinda dumb and lazy.

What's the mystery?

A poor kid gambles to make it out of the slums.

He gets deep inti the black markets and the dark side of gambling

a short story about a guy who meets the devil and he takes a bet that he is a better violin player than him. it's not original at all but i wanna do it anyways

>what the fuck fuck

Write this as a short story first and see if it warrants a full novel

I hate this fuck. What the thing is that hate? I thing it.

I got like 50 at this point. I'll give you one of the genuinely awful ones that is guaranteed to go nowhere because I came up with it when I was 15.

>dystopian future/alternate universe set on the islands of albion/caledonia/hibernia/anglia who are at war with, uh, kanata and amalric
>genentically engineered cat slaves form a very large servile class
>main characters servile class cat-people
>some legal shit about someone being half slave/half human makes them 100% free
>a half/half finds a loophole in a government program that forces people who have committed horrendous atrocities against the state into the military where they are stripped of human status and only regain it after they have served their country loyally for X amount of years with the alternative being immediate death by poison-releasing implant
>slaves get donated to military program to serve country in war
>turned out protag was a half/half that got sold illegally and was never even a slave
>shit goes down
>also there's a random psychotic half/half who was fought in an illegal fighting ring as a child and is wildly unbalanced
>for some reason pedophilia happens

What if Athens won the Peloponnesian war? What if Athens democratized Sparta and never killed Socrates in a moment of self-conscious post oligarchy rebellion second democracy? Would Plato and then Aristotle have instead glorified the ideals of direct democracy and free trade? What other ripples in Western thought would this single war's outcome created?

The nose of the tapir is the shadow of the rose and the rending of the veil

A teenage runaway finds the 7th gate to hell while escaping in a dead forest. S/he is faced with the choice of entering and escaping from the police that are looking for him/her or get arrested and face the consequences.

People who read malice or schadenfreude into that tapir's expression are seriously mistaken. Tapirs are bros. They're also really stupid.

It is the 21st century.

Advances in genetic engineering are beginning to open the way for workable brain enhancement.

A secret Chinese research laboratory is experimenting on pigs.

They manage to produce a pig of superior intelligence, but it is a strange, black, freakish beast, with some of the physical characteristics of an anteater.

Using its superior intelligence it escapes.

It is now faced with a hideous dilemma:

* Hide its abilities, live life as a normal pig, and get eaten very soon? -

or

* Show off its reading/writing/go-playing skills, and immediately get recaptured and sent back to the hated laboratory?

Desperately it resorts to a sad, nocturnal existence, living from scavenging garbage dumps at midnight.

Its only source of pleasure is hiding behind trees and watching stupid Chinese peasants going about their daily lives, knowing it is far more intelligent than they will ever be.

The only time it ever laughs is when it peeks round from behind the tree and sees a peasant fall over.

> PIC RELATED

>S/he
Actually make it a teenaged tranny running away from a loving nuclear family and the Gate of He'll is an allegory for a lifetime of self-hatred and desire for that which can never be.

There the chinks discover a place the Zimbabweans hid for centuries, el Dorado.

B-But user, I don't know what tranny teenagers think of or what they go through.

But the idea of a metaphorical hell is nice.

What is this meme

Seymour.

Elmer.

The boar is Horace and has not been posted.

Idea one: after their uncles death his niece and nephew find a sex robot in his house.The thing is very advanced tecnology, he built it in his retirement. (former tec prof.) They interact with it and slowly catch on to the fact, that the robot killed him ... but let it drop eventually

You don't have to be an elf to write about and elf

Yeah this would make a good Twilight Zone - style short story or screenplay.

Worth a (you) of anyone's money.

t. Dark mirror

You mean Black Mirror?

A short story about an American health inspector with one working eye that and can only see under excessively bright circumstances. She also has awful penmanship and non of her reviews are legible. Meanwhile, a strong, able bodied youthful man running an artisan food manufacturing business is forced to make expensive alterations constantly at the behest of a one-eyed, cyclops who can't even write clearly.

A three-part novel about a bus accident in a small town. First part is told from the perspective of a 10 yr old boy who's hunting the coyote that killed his cat just before the accident. The second part is told from the perspective of a middle-aged man who's an alcoholic outcast in the town who resents the townspeople's trust in the aging priest of the Catholic church, who he thinks is a fraud. The third part is a stream-of-conscious narrative by the true protagonist of the novel, an oafish and friendly widower who has faced a serious of tragedies throughout his life. This latest accident, which he witnesses firsthand, thrusts him into a nervous breakdown. He wanders through town and across the landscape, returning to his late brother's farm, the town pub, and the church where they are holding a town meeting to discuss how to deal with the fatalities from the bus accident. All the while he's trying to reconcile his faith and optimism with the almost unbearable evil that occurs throughout his life.

It's called Bus of Burning Tears, by the way.

I DID NOT MURDER HIM!!!

Is that already a novel? Because about four years into my project, I discovered a book called The Sweet Hereafter which has many similar plot details, also based on a true story (just like mine), but with a different tone. I'm still working on it though.

>Is that already a novel?
No, I was just funnin' by giving your extremely serious work an extremely retarded title.

I want to write a tell-all book about my occult experiences.

You do know about the movie A.S.H. right?

Which one?

Time travel taken to the point of absurdity and then even further beyond, infinite timelines with infinite layers of hell inside infinite layers of simulation with characters that are all as powerful as they want to be because the rules of the universe are literally non-existent, It's already been made (not yet published) but the 5 people I've shown it too fucking loved it so take that how you like.

lol, the way you said it made it seem like it was a rehashed idea.

I know there's a movie version of the novel, but I haven't seen it. I have read the novel, and liked it (except for the drawn-out ending), but still think mine isn't that similar except for the central event.