Ruler of a kingdom becomes deposed and Lea ves to a foreign land

>ruler of a kingdom becomes deposed and Lea ves to a foreign land
>In said land he uses his leadership skills and adapts them to the culture of the land, captivating people along the way
>rises to a position of power and takes back his rightful place back from the tyrant who usurped him in his homeland
Any literature like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_II
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My diary desu

Dune?

Count of Monte cristo, kind of

sounds like genre fiction

El cantar del mio cid

Highly improbable.
>1.) Virtue is not enough to overcome cultural barriers in that short amount of time
>2.) Blood is thicker than water and unless your protagonist is entering a post ethnic society he will never gain meaningful leadership.

Nah El Cid was never a ruler until he captured Valencia towards the end of his career.

Check out some traditional chinese novels. Not exactly what you want but similar themes in lots of chinese literature.

Lots of nonfiction about the late 30's to mid 40's exists user

Coriolanus

Sounds like that byzantine guy with the cut off nose.

>1.) Virtue is not enough to overcome cultural barriers in that short amount of time
Could have both kingdoms existing within a similar cultural spectrum, although historically that's not really necessary and there are plenty of examples running contrary to this.

>2.) Blood is thicker than water and unless your protagonist is entering a post ethnic society he will never gain meaningful leadership.
Pre-modern peoples cared more about social standing than ethnicity, especially if you're talking about a feudal setting which is what OP seems to be implying. A foreign noble of an alien ethnicity is going to have an easier time shmoozing with the aristocracy than a peasant of the same ethnicity. The fact that he is a noble from an exotic and distant land would help him gain acclaim within the court as an oddity, especially if he has knowledge of some sort of technology or technique that the court does not.

I had an idea a week ago about a modern day emperor/general that goes off to another continent and conquers it. While that happens his associates in government take over his empire so he has to rally his remaining troops in the other continent and the people who he conquered to help him take back his empire.
Don't know if anyone has made something like this already.

Sounds vaguely like the Spanish Civil War

that'a basically the life of Julius Ceasar

The exotic Noble at court is a meme. They may let one visit as a guest and treat him as a pet monkey, but nowhere ever has a kingdom spent treasure and blood on a total stranger.
King Richard the Lionheart, Napoleon Bonaparte on his 100 days march
And
Kind of, but Caesar was a general who marched on Rome and made himself a consul and then part of a triumvirate before dictator for life. So much more political intrigue and nuance.

base swap, a StarCraft story

There was a mount and blade mod where one faction was the expeditionary force of an empire which split off after the empire was usurped by heretic cultists.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_II

>The exotic Noble at court is a meme. They may let one visit as a guest and treat him as a pet monkey, but nowhere ever has a kingdom spent treasure and blood on a total stranger.
What complete bullshit. There are plenty of instances in history of lowborn peasants being raised into nobility based on their exceptional merits alone, there's no reason why a foreign noble couldn't be granted a fief for the same reason. I'm sure such a thing has happened before, but I can't think of any offhand.

>A foreign Noble may be granted a fire
Being granted a fief, after probably years of loyal military service, is not the same as having a King sponsor your coup in a foreign land. That's some African prince email level of retardation.

>a King sponsor your coup in a foreign land
You're literally the only person who's said anything of the sort so I don't know why you're arguing against me.

Give us some examples. I'm not joking I don't know shit about history

To quote OP
>A ruler of a kingdom is deposed and leaves to a foreign land
It's literally the first sentence of the thread. Kys.

I'm actually the guy arguing with this idiot, but he clearly knows nothing about history. The only thing close to this is Harold Hadraade working as a merc for the Byzantines and then using his war booty to buy consensus of enough Danish tribes to rule. But it's more of a dark ages piracy story than anything op outlined.

There are a lot of instances in the Byzantine Empire, Justinian the Great or Basil I for instance, although they're not exactly feudal. Charles Martel is traditionally considered to have been a peasant bastard, although there's some controversy there. Ivaylo of Bulgaria led a peasant revolt and forced the nobility to recognize him as emperor. John Hawkwood was an English mercenary who was knighted by the Black Prince for his military deeds. William Marshall, considered by contemporary sources as the greatest knight of all-time, was likewise knighted for his military prowess.

And what do the next two lines say, user?