What the fuck? How is it even possible to write shit like this?

What the fuck? How is it even possible to write shit like this?

Charlatanism

he got prizes for this boring bunch of nothing

He writes like Lovecraft if Lovecraft had an IQ of 170.

>discrediting the greatest writer of the Spanish language
Holy shit, Veeky Forums is literally filled with retards.

>thinking a hack is the greatest writer of Spanish language
Kys, pleb. Read more books

This thread is retarded bait
>he thinks plebs would appreciate or even read Borges

I'd love to see which books you'd recommend. Please, entertain me.

Are you reading it in english? That might be the problem.

check'd thb senpai

Borges knew English and worked directly with his translator and kept revising his stories until he was satisfied with the translation. He even preferred the English translations

Borges: the ultimate pleb filter

>He even preferred the English translations
Source?

Eduardo López Bago
José Ángel Valente
Luis Cernuda
Manuel Gutiérrez Nájera
Ruben Dario
César Vallejo
Ramón López Velarde
To just name a few, but I could go on

This is not true for all his translations, only the ones done by Giovanni whatever his last name was.
If you know Borges character you'd know him for a very modest man bordering a self deprecatory sense of his own worth, mostly when it came to his writing. After his impressive career, he said he wrote one or two good lines and maybe a poem (out of thousands of lines and hundreds of poems).
My take on this statement
>He even preferred the English translations
Is that he was just being modest and the comment should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Well all the other translations that aren’t Giovani’s are irrelevant

I can't tell if that means you like or hate it.

I love Borges. No other author can write a two page short story that can fill me with awe and intellectual wonder for the rest of the day.

But he's pretty well respected in the literary canon, so of course Veeky Forums hates him Veeky Forums's reactionary contrarianism does get exhausting.

Borges was a fascist cunt, so he’s pretty well-respected here

>After Borges's death, his widow Maria Kodama renegotiated the English translation rights for his works. In particular, she terminated a longstanding agreement between Borges and di Giovanni under which royalties for a number of translations on which they collaborated were divided equally between author and translator. New translations by Andrew Hurley were commissioned and published to replace the Di Giovanni translations, which were allowed to go out of print
Jesus Christ, what an ignorant greedy whore.

He was and old fashioned lad, more anarchist than fascist (in his own words). His political opinions never had any weight whatsoever, but the Left continuously thinks those views are more important than anything else he declared. Hell, I've witness the 'intellectuals' endorsing the ex government of my own country trash based Georgie on public television.

>Jose Ángel Valente
>Luis Cernuda
>Rubén Darío
>Better than Borges

Lol

Magic.

El peronismo es lo peor que le pudo pasar a la Argentina.

El Sur is his best short story, desu. Should be read in Spanish, of course.

The only one I liked was the story about the infinite library. That was the only one worth reading in ~150-200 pages.

Considering that he covered both literature and criticism in less than 200 pages, and made the execution of both incredible, I'd say that what it takes is a complete mastery of the art of writing.

Borges is Ok but overrated, in my honest opinion.
He liked english more than spanish, in general. He was well known for being a contrarian.

Labyrinths > Ficciones

Just read his whole "Collected Fictions"

Should I try to read Borges in Spanish if my handle on the Spanish language is elementary?

what the fuck does this insult even mean?

Labyrinths includes both Ficciones and The Aleph...

It's up to you. This is the first page of Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius.

He was of the opinion that Spanish has a tendency to floriture while English was more concise. He obviously knew how to read English, but couldn't write literature in it. His personal English letters show a very basic English writing.

Thanks. That would be too painstaking to read for me.

The first pages of all his stories are always dense, at least in my opinion, even if you are a native in spanish

/thread

I've read his Lovecraftian, as in directly inspired by Lovecraft, fiction and it's shit.

It was one story and it was a parody of Lovecraft. His stance on Lovecraft was that he was an unintentional parody of Poe, you oaf.

Are you filthy plebs taking him for Paulo Coelho, the Brazilian charlatan? Because he copied some of Georgie's titles like The Aleph becomes Aleph and The Zahir becomes Zahir. This is the only reason I can think of the word "charlatanism" is in any way related to Borges.

The one set in Texas or smt, right?

Borges is the Black Mirror of literature.

'Oh wow, a mysterious weird change of ordinary life! I don't even need compelling plot, characters, internal conflict!'

Let's throw H. G. Wells too into that hot broth of pseuds.

Borges was a cuck and his boy Adolfo Bioy could write him under the table. Better plot structure, more human characters and overall better undestanding of human nature.

I was convinced uqbar was real.

Which is your favourite fiction of his? Mine is The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim

I'll put it on my "to-read before death" list.

Why have the Veeky Forums pseuds turned on Borges?
Feels like I'm in a Murakami thread.

The Circular Ruins

They're probably busy skimming through Ready Player One and The Martian.

The Library of Babel and Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote.

>hispanic
>speak/understand 60% of Spanish with difficulty

Reading this though goes really clear instead of what I read

Jajajajaja nigga

>characters
Talk to that guy on the bus, m8

I don't get understand, you can read it or not?

Yeas

What a bitch. Who's the guy whose sister rewrote/interfered with all his work after he died? It had something to do with WWII.

Nietzsche

Does it matter which edition of Ficciones I get?