So how many of these do you own? I currently only have the H.P Lovecraft Collection, Edgar Allan Poe Collection...

So how many of these do you own? I currently only have the H.P Lovecraft Collection, Edgar Allan Poe Collection, Charles Dickens - 5 Novels and Dune

Other urls found in this thread:

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-da-vinci-code-the-lost-symbol-dan-brown/1123447149#/
youtube.com/watch?v=hMqGlpisqeo
youtube.com/watch?v=x3fLuqPTVsA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

its missing a soy face

>three novels
>by stephen king

Why

Les Miserables, KJ Bible, Alice in Wonderland & Other Stories, Divine Comedy, Plato, Norse Mythology.

I found a copy of Divine Comedy at a thrift store yesterday. I actually wouldn't mind having that Lovecraft tbph desu

What are "these"?

Is it true the Lovecraft one is loaded with typos? Pugmire said it's pretty sloppy.

Cheapo Barnes and Noble omnibi

The first edition is. I think the second edition fixed the typos.

Lmao nothing will come of it

Just stop OP. Go Easton Press or Folio if you really want quality. Besides that, the main issue is that these books lack a lot of the content that comes with the regular books. I did purchase the Count of Monte Cristo but it doesn’t display the translator. How is that even possible? Others just plainly lack the proper introduction or notes on the text including all other supporting text. Lame.

Barnes and Noble special Leatherbound editions of books

>Dan Brown

this is bait

Forget Stephen King, the biggest disgraces are:
>Dan Brown
>STAR WARS

It's real, user.

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-da-vinci-code-the-lost-symbol-dan-brown/1123447149#/

Why wouldn't they make a complete volume of all the Langdon books? Why just those two?

They only use this format for masterpieces

The books already nearly 1000 pages, they'd likely have to split it up into 2 volumes. I'm pretty sure the longest one of these is the Charles Dickens one which is around 1500 pages.

It's pretty dumb. Putting books 2&3 of the series in a single volume? I wouldn't be as confused if they'd done A&D+Da Vinci Code, or books 3&4.

But the Lost Symbol is the worst Dan Brown book, second only to Deception Point.

But Dan Brown hasn't ever made a masterpiece.

Only Paradise Lost and I threw it in the trash once I realized I dont read books because Im retarded faggot

Fuck off

I'm thankful that every Christmas has gone by without my coworkers gifting me one of these.

Who the hell would give a 25+ dollar gift to someone they work with anyways? Also these are nice editions despite the typos.

Some of them are definitely better than others, the Dune cover looks pretty nice but the design on the Poe book is pretty cringe.

There's also weird perspective going on in OPs pic that's making them all look like massive photo albums or something, makes me imagine some autist sitting down on the subway and manspreading some fucking enormous Star Wars book across three full seats. They don't look as bad when you see a picture of someone holding one and get a better sense of scale.

Very beautiful artwork on that one.

They're the McMansions of books.

the bookshelf belonged to a lesbian couple

>Namefag

How do you know?

It came from the bookshelf subreddit and the OP mentioned something about her and her girlfriend

>Not buying the Penguin hardcover classics
Pathetic.

Fuck off, roasties. No one cares about your shiny colourful books that you have never read.

>Not buying used Heinemann/Octopus omnibus edition instead

Collecting things is a great hobby, it feels satisfying to add that last book/game/movie to your collection you were missing.

extremely tacky

>Slipcovers that rip easily

Collecting if what women do.

I hate hardcover books

What? Why? They last longer and generally look nicer.

It's mostly about size, I think. I prefer my books to be more compact and flexible, hardcover books are typically too ungainly for me to read comfortably. I do have a couple of small-ish hardcovers that I don't mind.

Library of America series are easy to hold.

They fixed it. The ones with the silver edging and purple ribbon bookmark are the fixed version.

All of my books are, for the most part, second hand and pretty wizened. I'll be surprised if the bulk of them survive another decade or two.

The low cost of the BN series excuses the tackiness of the covers. But lately some of the Folio Society covers are garish to the point that it's veering dangerously close to these abominations.

>Not buying books by the foot

You've still got a lot to learn kiddo

I own around 20. I regret buying at least half of them. Yet I'll probably end up buying more of them.

I only have 5, mainly cause I refuse to buy shit I know I won't read. Do you read your stuff?

I would have much less of an issue with these if the books they actually decided to make these editions of weren't so stupid. Gray's Anatomy? Crichton? Stephen King? Maybe 3-4 of those books are actually worth owning. Everything else,

Yes. Though a couple of them are replacements for dog-eared copies that I already read. They're cheap enough for me to handle them. On a Easton Press or Folio Society book I'd be too afraid to read them because of the cost.

None thank fucking god. Such obvious gaudy shit

They reissue them with new covers occasionally sometimes they fix a shitty cover with a slightly better one like H.G Wells. Other times they take an meh cover and turn it into a disaster. For example Treasure Island. They went from this:

to this:

These covers, while varying in quality are all pretty crass, I think that at best having exactly one (1) of these books on a shelf could provide a colorful contrast, but as soon as you see them together it really hits home how disgusting it all is.

It even happens to expensive shit like Folio

Penguin hardcover design looks like the wallpaper at the Bates Motel.

>printed and bound in China
If the house catches fire the fumes from the books will kill all life within a 3 block radius.

I miss all the suicide threads

The musings of a literal wristlet. Sad!

>yfw Veeky Forums is a shitposting board too

>he fell for the Chinese quality meme

Gaudy covers sell better. It catches the customers eye. The first few B&N book weren't that gaudy but the worse they made them the better they sold.

Before B&N was doing it, Borders books did their own version with far more sensible covers. They didn't sell as well.

>tfw they are sometimes cheaper than other hardcover prints
It's the very reason I will buy some Knickerbocker or Penguin classics. I could get Augustine Confessions for $30 from Everyman, but the Penguin hardcover with those printed pattern that wears off is only $16.

I bought this one and then realized I was fucking stupid. Bought the Easton Press edition because even the Folio looked laughably bad. Expensive too.

Folios stacked together have a similar problem.

How many have you actually read? )Or are they there to look pretty?)

I have rather too many. In my somewhat younger days I bought a few (10-15 or so I would guess), and then friends thought that I was collecting them, so they would bring one as a gift to various parties I was hosting or when they would come to visit, and the 'collection' of them has grown over the years. I don't want to get rid of them, because that would seem to be a shitty thing to do to gifts that were somewhat thoughtful, and when friends would next visit they would probably ask 'what happened to/where is...' as well.

They look a bit tacky, but honestly they're not *that* bad, even if they're not what I would buy these days.

As I said, I only own 4 of them, and I've read them all. The pic I posted at the top was some random picture I found on google images. I typically read what I buy (I do think they look nice though).

Some of them are cringy looking, but overall they seem nice. I like that they come with ribbons.

hot.

Strand lets you buy by color baka

As someone who's recently started collecting Folios this is honestly infuriating

canterbury classics has gotten into the flashy binding meme. Previously, their editions were more traditional and subdued,

>We will make efforts to avoid duplicates

In the 80's, Franklin Library did their own economy class series that kept the basic design of their premium line but with cheaper materials. At least they don't look embarrassing on the shelf. Sold them on TV via subscription.

youtube.com/watch?v=hMqGlpisqeo
youtube.com/watch?v=x3fLuqPTVsA

They look like knockoffs of their own work.

>nifty cooker
Throw away the bookshelf

Those commercials are pure kino, really got a kick out of them. Very nice looking books too, why'd they stop making them?

You should start lifting, you lala pansy homo man.

I want a grandpa like the one in the second commercial.

I have been buying Library of America hardcovers, am I as bad as this person?

No. They're good and they maximize shelf space.

I only bought the Shakespeare one because it was on sale for like $20 and its the cheapest way to get a complete physical Shakespeare anthology. Pages in that one are really thin though, almost like Bible paper.

best by price/quality

Most of those look wayyyy too hipster-y, I doubt most people buying the books are reading them.

>leatherbound books with embossed pages
>tacky stickers glued onto the front and back covers

No

I only own the Jurassic park/lost world and the Stephen king ones, the rest aren't that worthwhile

They're just as bad 2bh

fixt

I seriously don't get how these are tacky or make one a soyboy. They look nice and as long as they're being read there shouldn't be a problem.

Just one; Hemingway

It was cheaper than buying all 4 books at once. I paid $20 for a brand new book that would have cost me $40-$60 if bought seperately.

Because if I have money to spare, the money goes to academic textbooks or something out-of-print

Spend the money on acquiring new knowledge rather than wasting it on something that looks nice

I own the Lovecraft one. It's the cheaper way to get all of his worthwhile stories.

I got Shakespeare, Dante, Hemingway, and the Neil Gaiman ones back when they were 2/$10 back in the early 2010s. I figured they would discontinue them, but they've been $25 a pop ever since. Really should've gotten Jurassic Park while I had the chance.

most of these books are 4 pseuds and people that "read", aka soyboys and basic hoes

Alice in Wonderland
Arabian Nights
HP Lovecraft
KJV Bible

I might get Hitchiker's Guide next, since my ominibus has a cracked spine and it's kind of annoying to read.

Lovecraft
Poe
Arabian Nights
Classic Horror Stories (not in op's pic for some weird reason)

>orgasmic