I'm inspired by the umpteenth negative John Green thread on here to post the catalog for his personal library...

I'm inspired by the umpteenth negative John Green thread on here to post the catalog for his personal library. Go through it and you will realize he's better read and more patrician than you will ever be: librarything.com/catalog/sparksflyup/yourlibrary

Being well read =/= being a good writer

And this was just from his mid-twenties. His catalog and knowledge have only grown in the intervening years.

I didn't say he was a good writer, did I? Guess you have a weak mind. Better follow John's lead and hit the books.

And yet he's an incredibly awful writer. Proof that you need some natural talent to be a good writer.

The reason he's memed on is because his book suck. No one says he hasn't read a lot. It's obvious with all the surface level allusions and references he shoehorns in.

that changes nothing, in fact I assumed he was well read, he just chooses the dumbest things to talk about, making himself look like a complete pseud.
>the Odyssey is sexist!
I simply do not understand how he keeps the little bit of fame he has gained.

He's mediocre but for his field, pretty good. And his worst stuff is better than the best thing you will ever produce.

Oh shit it's the John Green defense force back at it with another quality thread

Most of it is trash desu

The Odyssey was, in fact, sexist. Doesn't detract from its greatness.

just go to bed john

I'm not defending John in a vacuum. Just against you retards. Someone from Veeky Forums making fun of John Green or his fans is like someone with down syndrome making fun of someone with autism for being retarded.

(((sexism))) doesnt exist

honestly I'd argue the opposite, he's helped by female characters many times throughout the story

Nope, you're wrong. Thanks for playing.

Athena and Penelope are two of the strongest women in literature. Just because they're portrayed as homely/motherlike and not super strong modern women doesn't make it sexist.

>DUDE YOU'LL NEVER ACCOMPLISH AS MUCH AS [insert hack here] LMAO
Not an argument. Don't pull the "haha, I'm just mocking you guys" bullshit. Admit you're an angry John Green fan, you insecure faggot.

fair enough, but as someone obsessed with history, john green's "people shouldn't study x because x is sexist/racist" attitude has caused me to hate him, and I understand that its a product of the times we live in, but I will not condone it.

>Strongest female characters in fiction
>Sexist

I know feminism labels being a whore "empowering," but Penelope is legitimately an awesome character.

I didn't say I was 'just mocking' you guys. I was establishing the context for my defense of him. Such weak minds on this board, I swear. So careless with words for people who ostensibly love literature.

Still waiting for that admission.

That video about the Odyssey was from a series called "crash course". As in a brief introduction. And it's for dumb teenagers. Ideally you will go on and spend years adding to the base that you get from the videos. If anyone stops at Green's entry level feminism, that's their fault not his.

This post, on its own, is far superior to the entire oeuvre of John Michael Green, including the books he has yet to write or to finish.

And I'm waiting for you to have a less weak mind. Good call on only having one short sentence this time. It's too easy to pick you apart otherwise. I've never read the man but I'm sure he's very good children's lit, probably just below Lemony Snicket who is the only kid's author I've read.

Anyone looking through the catalog? He owns Boethius, Pynchon, and the collected works of Jung.

Does he own Infinite Jest?

His videos are shown in classrooms as supplementals to lessons. I've seen college students use them to study. He's seen as an authority and a source of decent interpretation. His voice goes to a large audience that trusts him and implicitly agree with him. He's "entry level feminism" prejudices people against the greatest works of fiction for the sake of making himself look humanist and all accepting. It's not good that he's doing these videos with such a blantant disregard for what he's actually communicating.

Yeah, he read it twice in college.

Why does he have so many "Islam dindu nuffin! Islam is religion of peace!" books? Is John Green secretly a Muslim?

He's not turning people against classics at all, he's inspiring people to read and think critically about them. You can say a work does something negative without condemning it. If he thought the Odyssey should not be read, he would have ignored it himself on his video series.

He studied religion in college and when he was still young and ambitious (i.e. arrogant) he hoped to reconcile Christianity and Islam.

>he hoped to reconcile Christianity and Islam.
Top kek

I feel as if John is becoming more and more dissatisfied and will soon sequester himself in a cabin away from all distractions, where he will attempt to write a piece of fiction that is worth a damn. He will unfortunately fail miserably, and then return to writing YA and having sex with teenage fans.

Everything is sexist, everything is racist, and you have to point it all out.

Holy shit this man has a high opinion of himself

He was a dumb kid. He recounted that later in some interview as an adult as a way of making fun of his pompous youth.

That's right, friend.

This made me consider, would you prefer being a SHIT writer with GOOD taste or a GOOD writer with SHIT taste?

Good writer with shit taste. And many great writers weren't well read. Like Proust for instance. He's just a guy who read a bunch of weird and frivolous books and then one day started writing a masterpiece of world literature.

> 1023 books
> mid twenties
hmm

People outside of this board actually read.

>"books"

Many great artists are absolutely ignorant about the field in which they excel, although I'd say they are a minority.

That's a book, yes.

You don't have to respond to literally every single post, you creepily obsessed, perpetually hyperbutthurt weirdo.

that book is an undisputed masterpiece stfu lol

It's obvious he's pretty well read. Yet that really does nothing to negate things like that horrific blowjob scene. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. He gets memed on for a reason, probably excessively of course because it stops being amusing pretty quickly. But it's a bit like pointing out Lil Uzi (or the latest relevant version of that rapper) loves Bach and Bartok or something.

I'll stop responding when I stop seeing childish arguments.

I would consider it noteworthy if Lil Uzi loved Bach, yes.

What? Proust is like notoriously well read. There are dozens of articles about it in mainstream publications which is unusual for writers.

That doesn't mean he applies it well or that it makes his own work good. Green writes middlebrow YA fiction and there's nothing around that.

Why are you so autistic?

Because you know you can't respond to developed arguments?
Typical brain/lit/

I didn't say it makes him a good writer. My point is nuanced and elusive. Re-read this whole thread carefully.

That's a somewhat fair interpretation of my words. I should have said I would stop contesting, not responding.

>My point is nuanced and elusive.

I agree that your lack of reading comprehension is worthy of a smug smile.

He read a lot but not canonical authors. Just a lot of fluff.

If he's not a good writer and an irritating person I don't really see what I should like about him. I don't post in threads about him because it's just shitposting and there's nothing to discuss, and anybody who has such a preoccupied hatred of him clearly has problems to begin with. If you're just mad about shitposters on Veeky Forums making fun of him I guess I'm just curious as to why. He's everything the kind of person that browses this boards dislikes rolled up into a person, it's pretty obvious. You don't have to shit on Veeky Forums in such a roundabout way, user.

>nuanced and elusive
OH NO NO NONO NO HAHAHAHA HAHA HEHE HOHO HA
this is the funniest thing I've ever seen on this board
you have a "nuanced and elusive" point about john fucking green, holy shit this is the stupidest fucking thing to argue about and now you say your point is "nuanced and elusive" what the fuck...
10/10 bait I guess, I'm still fucking laughing.

>My point is nuanced and elusive.

I'm now 100% convinced that you are john green, just give it up, you're not gaining any new subscribers here.

My point is not about Green. Think really hard. I know it's difficult for you.

>If he's not a good writer and an irritating person I don't really see what I should like about him
He actually has said that he thinks of John Green as a good writer.

No I haven't.

You called him good by the standards of his field.

That doesn't mean I consider him good in his own right.

So was he taking shots at Pynchon or DFW in TFioS?

This thread singlehandedly inspired me to continue writing my guided reading notes on The Histories. I almost forgot how much prevalence John Green has and how much disinformation he's spreading.

As far as fiction goes from what I'm seeing, he's read a lot of stuff (or at least has them on his shelf) but it's extremely varied and just a smattering of an author's most famous works. He just reads entry level shit for each famous author. He doesn't actually own or have read a majority of their works. His reading style based on his ownership is "Oh NYT said this was a good book I'll buy it!" He doesn't actually study an author deeper than their ONE FAMOUS BOOK. Take a look at Nabokov. He only own Lolita and his autobiography. Like wtf? This guy has shit reading habits.

>Rated his own book 5 stars

Lol John Green browses Veeky Forums. I'm p sure Rothfuss does too. ITT we now speculate which authors browse Veeky Forums
Anyone for Daniel Kehlman?

This is, probably, not true. He wrote an article entirely on every work published by Flaubert and it's dearth of metaphors.

What would be the point in reading an extensive and exhaustive list of all the novels that an author has produced if you just want to get a good feel for the authors style? I would understand a further fascination , if you presumbly liked the author ?
t. brainlet who wants to get in to reading

It depends on the author, but the majority of them will contextualize their later thoughts in earlier works and it provides a deeper meaning. Newspapers being a symbol for reality in Kafka is transparent after reading Der Prozess with this thematizing of reality and art

>generic classics
>shitty factoid books
>americana dross
>new york times shit
>"well read" enough to warrant this thread
Lots and lots of young adult shit though. I wonder if he was planning his career from the start, what with all this research. Is John Green more cynical and Machiavellian than we could ever have thought?
Also lots of shit on Islam, certainly more than a cursory interest... did John Green ever write about this? Did he ever make use of this vast amount of material? Was John Green at some point considering becoming a jihadist?

Earlier in the thread someone said he wanted to mend the schism between Islam and Christianity when he was young and idealistic in college. And he probably liked YA books, thought they were beneficial to teens, and finally saw himself capable of writing one.

hi John

>mfw John Green is the only person equally hated by Veeky Forums,/tv/, /pol/, and Veeky Forums

And yet he writes the fucking shit that he does.
Do we think he's a shit writer that writes shit YA fiction or do we think he tried his hand at writing decent literature before figuring out he couldn't hack it and became a YA hack?

not impressive

plz read my books thnx

He's the most insufferable hack of the 21st century.
>effeminate leftie who blindly supports the stupidest forms of feminism and anti-racism
>has spent his entire career pandering to vapid teenage girls
>actively spreads disinformation about history
>probably a literal cuck
>can't write
It's like God made him to piss off Veeky Forums.

Flipped through his latest at the grocery store bargain rack the other day. Epigraph by Schopenhauer..

>be normie
>open John's new book
>read epigraph
>understand nothing
>wikipedia 'Schopenhauer'
>'pesimism'
>must be a sad book
>Goodreads.com "very feels, very relatable, thank you John for another great book

>the Odyssey is sexist!
IT WAS THE GREEKS GREEKS CANT BE SEXIST

Actually not true. If you search Faulkner you get:
>7 books by Faulkner
>a Faulkner biography
>a collection of letters written by Faulkner
>a critical study of Faulkner
>a book that appears to be about american southern fiction, which likely features quite a bit of Faulkner
Dude fucking loves Faulkner. I mean, I know Faulkner wrote a lot about young people in his oeuvre, but I can't really piece together any connection beyond that.
Oh, in his library he also has
>12 novels by Philip Roth
>two novels by Joyce, an annotated edition of Ulysses, the Cambridge companion to Ulysses, a Joyce biography, and a critical study of Joyce
>20 books by or about Mark Twain
And probably way more.

Actually a really funny book, desu

I’d argue that Athena is the original strong woman trope.

"I should add that our librarything includes not the books we've read, but the books we currently own that are currently in our apartment."

aw man.

Is there any place besides those two-three videos that got books he actually read?

You’re a goddamn idiot. You don’t know shit about Proust.

It isn’t true.

Do people know about Kehlmann outside of Germany?

John Green is 40