There is no reason to actually read fiction right? If you read 1000 fiction books you come out with nothing...

There is no reason to actually read fiction right? If you read 1000 fiction books you come out with nothing. If you read 1000 nonfiction books you come out with everything you could want. If you want entertainment just watch movies.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/18/noel-gallagher-fiction-waste-time
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Calm down, Noel Gallagher.

There's a time and place for entertainment.

Nonfiction like manuals or journals have their purpose. Fiction is imagination at play. There's value in that

I try to read fiction for enjoyment and I do get enjoyment. It's just "fuck I could of spent this week learning something instead of this".

>If you read 1000 nonfiction books
If you read 1000 nonfiction books then you've read more fiction than you thought

holocaust was a hoax

> not reading fiction during breaks from right brain work

I feel you though . It's too much effort to read modern fiction. Im afraid of being let down in the middle and having my time wasted by boring plots and dull prose.

theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/18/noel-gallagher-fiction-waste-time

>meaning this

but it increases your vocabulary size, which has real world applications and may even translate to profits.

Read a dictionary.

>he Googled "symptoms of autism in adults" once and thereby scrambles to validate his own autistic aversion to fiction

This argument is ignorant. People most definetly learn moral and life lessons through fiction. Ever heard of a fable op?

The only people who learn life lessons through fiction are kids and depressed people.

What about all the religious adults who learned not to be assholes because of a fiction book based upon morals?

What philsphy is encouraging this thread to be made every night? They never have interesting discussion or funny shitposting, even for Veeky Forums standards, just an OP proclaiming television rots your brain but watching Planet Earth on BBC is enlightening

Shit you're right. I forgot delusional people.

The Story of Icarus teaches a lot about human stubborness and curioisty.

reading is fun

The lesson transcends the fictional world it was told in.

So what do you read buddy? Biographies? Philosophy? How does learning a bunch of useless shit make you a better person?
Philosophy is basically fiction. Teaches you things of other people's thoughts, there is no true philosophy. Why bring this argument up at all if your so against fiction? Why not just learn from real life events because that's basically what your suggesting.

If you need a fictional book to teach you that killing people is bad as an adult you have problems.

Quads
Have
Spoken

Actually Rousseau argues directly the opposite of this in Emile.

That kids do NOT learn moral lessons through fiction, they lack the interpretive ability to do so. I know that when I was a kid I would not have been able to do this without being needlessly urged by my mentors. In particular, one might say that no one would have without being told to interpret it in a specific way.

You would be surprised. People are not always rational. They need to learn a lesson by identifying with a character and seeing the fictional mistake unfold. It passes on experience through stories. Its as old as telling a campfire tale.

>hurrdurr atheism meme

I hate when it gets to yuropoor aka satanic trash time

Chomsky > You

Chomsky > everyone on this board.
Your words hold no weight.

Chomsky > Dude who has read every work of fiction

Wasn't even memeing ya bud, just giving an example to the ignant op.

What are you even trying to say now? Flustered a bit?
Give me one Crystal clear example of why your side of the argument makes any more sense than mine. I'll wait.

If you only read every work of fiction in existence you will still be nothing compared to someone who is an expert in (most) nonfiction subjects.

Not him but I agree with this, yes.

And you want to talk about wasting time

You could probably find some nonfiction book that will you teach useful vocabulary for daily life/politics/writing that will be much more helpful and efficient than a bunch of fiction.

And yes I can agree to what your saying, even though what you are saying is completely illogical.

But can you also agree with the fact that some, and I'm not saying all fiction, (because let's be honest a lot of fiction there is barely anything too learn) can I'm fact teach you something worthy of the time spent reading it?

I do agree. It's just who wants to spend the time reading fiction to maybe find a book that eventually that speaks to you. If you are doing it for enjoyment great but most of the time you are getting only that. If you read the classics because you want to learn something or seem smart it's a waste of time.

Sometimes it is more useful to hide a lesson in a story, some lessons are better learned when it's not just blatantly told to you.

Well I'm glad we can leave on some type of agreement, this is what I call a productive Veeky Forums talk. I respect your opinion, as it is as valid as mine. You have good night my man.

Agreed.

>implying both are opposed

Read Moby Dick

Shut the fuck up and read the Greeks you illiterate faggot

Can you give an example of some lessons you have learned in fiction that have changed you as a person?

*proceeds too pick up the Greeks too read while systematically getting fucked in the ass* you too bud

i wish i said this

Atta boy :)

Lol have a good night though

dont let the bed bugs bite

Lmfao fuckin A mate, you too man

What is going on. There is like 4 people here replying to him.

The guy who said this Is the other main debater, me, idk bout the others they just wanna wish the man a happy night and good rest. What so wrong with that?
GOODNIGHT TOO ALL, SLEEP EASY MY FRIENDS

The Bible. A lot of people dedicate the end of every week to learning from it.

Why would you come to Veeky Forums and say this? Go to Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums or something. Anyways you can get perspective from fiction, like listening to someone tell you a story about something that happened to them. Just because a fiction book didn't actually happen doesn't mean the author isn't pulling from his life.

We already talked about delusional people scroll up.

the value of fiction for me was this
Frenchfag here. In order to look good in daddy s society you re supposed to say you read and enjoy a certain number of classic fiction authors and know your wines. However at some point you read Bourdieu and realize that shitposting is the future of written cultures.

>Delusional
Dropped

Nonfiction is merely peer-reviewed fiction. Discuss.

would you fuck this?

Very much agree with this. You can learn different perspectives and get a lesson in empathy.

Most people actually think killing people is ok, and it probably is.

>muh utility
is this why the arts are dying?

Equality made men utility, the new men made everything else into utility. Architecture is the most visible representation of this.
>There is no need for beauty t. pleb/merchant

Animal farm is fiction but still allows even children to understand that communism is a horrible idea because of the failings of humans.

Fiction is a vehicle to understand vague concepts that non fiction simply might describe in a shallow way.

>Animal farm is fiction but still allows even children to understand that communism is a horrible idea because of the failings of humans.

apparently not since that's not the point of the book at all lol

lmao

+1

god you fucking redditors make me sick

lol omg it wasn't about communism and how it leads to cult of personality at all it was about mean pigs and a horse. lol omg Veeky Forums

ya why not

Reminder that using Veeky Forums is a bigger waste of time than reading fiction. You're no better than people who read fiction.

>be Veeky Forums
>deride fiction readers
>read bible

>If you want entertainment just watch movies.
Imagine being this stupid

>Noam "The Gnome Stop Wearing Glasses" Chomsky

explain ? seems weirdly interesting

>watching movies is fine
>apparently, shitposting on Veeky Forums is fine
>but reading fiction is a waste of time
I don't understand this logic.

Reading nonfiction can be potentially destructive while fiction can't. Would you like to have 1000 books worth of untrue garbage floating around in your head?

Film is arguably a more powerful art form than literature. Still far too early to tell

>fiction can't be destructive
a whole generation of germans an hero'd after reading werther

It's entertainment, it is what people want. The people that say entertainment is worthless are either slaves or trying to make them.(or depressed/mentally ill)

Do you feel this way about all art?
Do you feel all of human experience is adewuately depicted by cognitive psychology and neuroscience and brain scans?
Do you find Richard Dawkins et al's reductive scientism intellectually convincing?
If so then yes, you;re wasting your time reading. If not the 'point' is very self-evident.

The state of the American mind:(

not necessarily, reading Veeky Forums actually allows you to skip through many long and not worthy novels

They were going to kill themselves anyway.

ok OP, but if this thread is about nonfication then why did you post a pic of a scientist who engaged in fictional hypothesis that have been disproven?

>murder is self-evidently wrong
>just think about it
>its not cuz I grew up in a culture based on certain religious metaphysics

>scientist

You were memeing, it was just a countermeme and the OP was so autistic he ran with it.

With film you can get better entertainment and escapism than the week it takes to read a novel. So watch one film and then keep reading nonfiction. No wasting time on fiction.

This was dirty habit I had from college years ago except the opposite. I didn't read anything that did not fortify my current work or studies and dropped fiction all together. I do not regret it but it really is hard to get back into fiction again.

high brow fiction is as intellectually stimulating and useful as any non fiction you massive faggot (inb4 I could read a thousand STEM textbooks hurdur)

There's nothing wrong with fiction. Genre fiction on the other hand is worthless.

Even as a baby I would reach for an animal encyclopedia over Dr Seuss for a bed time story. My mom just sat their and told me about animals in alphabetical order.
I'm still more or less the same.

Sci-Fi, Horror, Mystery and Westerns are the greatest genres of storytelling. Straight dramas and anything non-horror/mystery that takes place in the modern day is shit.

>its just entertainment
Neck yourself.

You do come out with something, feelings and memories of characters and moments your mind found interesting.

>Autistic guys talking about effiency of non fiction

You basically killed art. Now I understand why we have a whole generation of social retards: lack of empathy. Through fiction you can see the thoughts of a guy, not through a mental masturbation but experiencing his relation with his environment. This explain why writers like Dostoievski or Tolstoi are great, they truly knew what is to live.

Tolstoy thought film was a better medium than literature for both conveying emotion and as an overall art form.

>nonfiction means science and manuals
philosophy is nonfiction and all the crap said above about "morals" can be learned by reading treatises on ethics

>all the crap said above about "morals" can be learned by reading treatises on ethics

Not really. You can read the theory about it, but you won't feel any real empathy. People aren't invested in "treatises on ethics". Fiction is better in this respect. That's why The Bible has been controlling the masses via fiction all these years.