Is the Fagles translation really bad or just a meme

The folio society edition is on sale and I'm Fucking in love with it.

The Barnes and nobles one is cool too and that's fagles also

why ask about the translation if you just want a gaudy trinket for your bookshelf? it's not like you're going to read it.

Fagles translation is not good, Fitzgerald is better and Lattimore is the best.

No I'm going to read it.

I'm finally ready to delve into the Greeks.. I'm really excited about it too.

Why exactly isn't he good ?

In your opinion .. would really like to hear

I'm just now really starting to get into the Greeks.

I just ordered the book that the stocky said to start with , now I want a couple of cool copies of the Iliad and the odyssey

>Lattimore is the best
Yes
YES
The Man of Many Ways is out.

(Lattimore is my favorite translation as well user. I also like Pope's translation, though its accuracy leaves some to be desired).

Fagles is fine. I found Lattimore and Fitzgerald to be somewhat annoying to read but there's nothing bad about their translations either. If you're looking to get the best sense of the meter there's no translation which captures it properly. Rodney Merrill's translations attempt to mimic dactylic hexameter, but they are a bit obtuse.

It's a translation. There's excerpts online and see for yourself if you like it or not. It's not like you'll miss Veeky Forums nirvana if you read an okay translation.

Yea your right.

Are all the Iliad translations decent too ?

All the major ones are serviceable. Most people's complaints about Fagels is that it's not as poetic and dynamic as other translations so it doesn't do the poems justice. But he's clear and readable so that's why he's easy to teach from and get 95% of what the poem is essentially. All translations are flawed but it comes down to personal preference for the most part.

eh, I'm just a pleb but there were several long threads about the new translation that the broad wrote. Everyone was posting their favorite translation of the opening bit and it seemed to me like Fagles was a good solution. Autists preferred a more academic tran and fags wanted more poetic-in-English-sounding trans.
In comparing how the bit termed "complicated" "crafty" "cunning" and etc was handled by Fagles, he wrote "man of many turns," which seemed to hue close to the greek idiom (as I understand it i.e. poorly); that his journey went off-course but also that his wits, his survival instinct, was mercenary and not always chivalrous or honorable.

Thank you

And thank you too

tfw not a burgui murica so i dont have to worry about homer translation wars

>hue
that should be *hew, I just realized

Fagles is literally the pleb translation. Might as well read a contemporary vocabulary prose rendition

>It's not like you'll miss Veeky Forums nirvana if you read an okay translation.
Jokes on you dummy

Who cares, if you find it enjoyable you'll end up reading other translation before you die; and if you don't you're a pseud. That said Lattimore was a real treat after first reading Fagles a decade ago. It could be I enjoyed it more due to a better understanding of the Greeks since my first reading. Either way you dive into the "best" translation or you've saved it for when you can better grapple with what makes it great.
tl;dr just start reading

Butler is the best

I enjoyed the 100 page introduction to lattimores iliad more than the actual translation itself

Solid advice mah nigga